5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have gone with the 12" screen?

mtnbikej

Reaction score
On my Rebel when I ordered it, the Rebel 12 package was the one I needed to get the leather interior. Since then, Ram has added Leather to the Night Edition….so it’s not really needed now.

I have the 8.4 on my’15 Big Horn…works just fine.

I’m looking forward to the big screen.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Never had the 12 " screen, but I really like the 8.4".

Nova90

Reaction score
It was really more of a luxury item for me vs. something that was absolutely a need. I ended up going for it & have zero regrets. I really enjoy the look and function of the larger screen especially with stuff like CarPlay.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... OEM Nav is years out of date with a new purchase so there's no point in using it. Anecdotal, but at least for my town (outside of Memphis) the OEM map has less than 50% of the streets.

**At least with Uconnect 4.
I've never had a single instance where my OEM navigator didn't have a road I was looking for. I should note that Ohio is pretty rural, and even the "big" cities in my area are a far cry from Memphis, so roads aren't added or eliminated very often. It's also worth noting that I used it to get me to just outside of Pittsburg to pick up my Rebel wheels/tires and it navigated that just fine. That concern may be specific to your area, or major metropolitan areas in general.

I've had OEM nav on all my Rams and Jeeps since 2014 and have had zero issues. In fact, like it so much, navigation is a must have item on my purchases. I pass on a truck once because it didn't have nav and the salesman tried explaining the "convenience" of Android Auto and Apple Car Play. He obviously ignored the fact that you have to have cell signal for those to work, and you have to have your phone with you, which has to have data. With OEM nav all you have to have is the antenna accessible to the gps satellite.
For the younger generations, AA/ACP may be the way to go. It's not for me though, I'll stick with my built in nav. Which btw you can update if your maps are out of date.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was really more of a luxury item for me vs. something that was absolutely a need. I ended up going for it & have zero regrets. I really enjoy the look and function of the larger screen especially with stuff like CarPlay.
I think this sums it up well. It was a luxury item, but I have zero regrets getting it. I like the look and function of it, and I like how clean the dash looks when the truck is turned off.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the 8.4 and I'd certainly get that again if the truck had all the other options I wanted. But given two otherwise identical trucks, I'd get the one with the 12 radio, just because it's a nice touch of luxury.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
Here’s what I don’t like about the factory navigation. Yiu have to pay to update the maps.
I have a ‘15 Big Horn and there are lots of new communities here in So Cal..:.that the truck navigation doesn’t know about. I’m not going to pay $160 for the updated maps.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are actual buttons for the climate control. I didn't say anything about not having those. But no buttons for steering wheel heat, or seat heat/ventilation. Can you post a pic of yours with the seat temp and steering wheel heat buttons?

Edit: Must be something new with the '22 models.
I'm not talking about the physical buttons. There are "buttons" in each corner of the screen. Touch them and a window opens with more controls. These buttons are there regardless of what screen is displayed. Maybe this is a Uconnect 5 thing?

I wasn't planning on ordering Nav. Google maps has more up to date locations and responds better to voice commands, but i just like having the Nav up with radio.
20220324_144121.jpg 20220324_144127.jpg

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You still have to click a fake button, and then another button, and then click that button again to get the heat you want.

It shouldn’t be a three step process to turn on or off heated seats. Not not just ram most do this, and it’s dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, a physical button would have been nice, but it's only two clicks. Rear seats are only through physical buttons.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the physical buttons. There are "buttons" in each corner of the screen. Touch them and a window opens with more controls. These buttons are there regardless of what screen is displayed. Maybe this is a Uconnect 5 thing?

I wasn't planning on ordering Nav. Google maps has more up to date locations and responds better to voice commands, but i just like having the Nav up with radio.
View attachment 124121 View attachment 124122
Definitely a Uconnect5 thing. Mine doesn't have those soft buttons. Thanks for the pics!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My $.3 one of the reasons I was drawn to trading in my 4th Gen Ram for a 5th Gen is the 12” screen. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to upgrade. Probably would of been happy with the 8.4 too but knowing and seeing the 12” was an option it was a no brainer even for the additional cost. No issues so far and I don’t mind not having the buttons for the heated seats etc since I very seldom use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After having the 12" screen, no way I'd have another Ram without it.

Most of the "issues" posted seem to be from previous versions, user preference, or user error.

My only complaint so far is the lack of full screen Android Auto.

If you don't want it, don't get it, but the 12" is the best available.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Having had both. Split screen is better imo. That way you can still use the lower portion for audio.

On our Subaru we used to have split screen for car play and it was great. Then they did an update now the entire screen is a map, which is silly.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I've never had a single instance where my OEM navigator didn't have a road I was looking for. I should note that Ohio is pretty rural, and even the "big" cities in my area are a far cry from Memphis, so roads aren't added or eliminated very often. .

Depends where you live. If you live where it’s a growing city this happens often.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The split screen is definitely nice being able to have CarPlay and my music display is amazing. I don’t think I have ever used the trucks navigation itself I have no reason too as long as I have cell reception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked at a Rebel that had the 8.4. Opted for this Bighorn with the 12.0. Was really the 6’4” bed vs the 5.7 on the Rebel that got me. I also prefer the bench seat rather than the center console setup, too.
That being said, I have had my share of issues with the 12.0, but don’t think I could downsize.
I compare it to my television…upgraded from a 48 to a 55. Upgraded that 55 to my current 75. Next tv is gonna be epic!

beetlespin

Reaction score
I wanted the 8.4". I don't need a TV in my tuck. Google maps is always updated so it's my goto navigation. I came from a truck with all the bells and whistles (2019 Ranger Lariat) and the only thing I miss is the LED headlights which is an easy fix.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends where you live. If you live where it’s a growing city this happens often.
I figured as much. Which I why I noted that I live in a rural area. and ... ↓↓↓
... That concern may be specific to your area, or major metropolitan areas in general .....

I'm sure it's like any feature. Depending on your use, or location some features may be better/worse for some owners than others. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad feature, just not for that person. For rural owners, having to rely on a cell signal for navigation may be more problematic than new development.

50Front

Reaction score
Get it, you wont regret it. TVs, monitors or screen in cars, I have never heard anyone say i should have gotten the smaller one.. Also, with the size of the dash in the ram, the 12" looks proportional. The 8" will look more and more dated as screens get larger every year. So if resale is a concern, get the 12"

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
A few of us have said that buying a car with a bigger screen was a regret. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online