5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get a Topper?

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a topper, specifically a SnugTop Rebel. What I would like to know is it worthwhile to get one or should I just stick with my tonneau cover. What are your thoughts, good and bad, plus and minus.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I’d say na. But it really just depends on how you’ll use it. I’ve never been a fan of them and they just scream old man. But they do have their purpose for some people tho. Just my opinion.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Here is a magazine article I wrote on the topic and used my 2019 Ram in. I personally prefer a camper shell/topper . Strengths and weaknesses of each type of bed cover are in the article.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a LEER model 122 High Rise for the new 2021 Laramie Crew Cab
with 6'-4" Bed from the Leer Factory Outlet in Milton PA. I deleted the four
standard windows and upgraded to two large Slider WinDoors on the side.
Headliner, Painted and installed for $2700. Local dealers were quoting
$3500 and up.

Yeah knocking on 57 I guess I fit the Old Man Truck Stereotype.

Adding an AUX fuel tank to the truck and making a sleeping Bed in the
Back for when I travel. At 30+ MPG with the EcoDiesel with the 33 Gallon
Tank and the AUX tank, I will have over a 3000 Mile range. I need to
install a Pilot Relief Tube!

Malodave

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I ordered a LEER model 122 High Rise for the new 2021 Laramie Crew Cab
with 6'-4" Bed from the Leer Factory Outlet in Milton PA. I deleted the four
standard windows and upgraded to two large Slider WinDoors on the side.
Headliner, Painted and installed for $2700. Local dealers were quoting
$3500 and up.

Yeah knocking on 57 I guess I fit the Old Man Truck Stereotype.

Adding an AUX fuel tank to the truck and making a sleeping Bed in the
Back for when I travel. At 30+ MPG with the EcoDiesel with the 33 Gallon
Tank and the AUX tank, I will have over a 3000 Mile range. I need to
install a Pilot Relief Tube!

Malodave
Wow, that is some serious gas mileage and range. You are ready for the Apocalypse my friend!

Brad460

Reaction score
Depends how old you are versus how old you want to look? If you’re over 60 you should be good.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of long distance driving. I can pick and choose when to fill up
where there is cheaper diesel. My 2008 1500 Big Horn has a 26 Gallon Main Tank
and i took the bottom 8" of the tool box and made an AUX tank in it. The AUX
tank adds an additional 36 Gallons. I could get about 950 miles range.

Malodave

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Here is a magazine article I wrote on the topic and used my 2019 Ram in. I personally prefer a camper shell/topper . Strengths and weaknesses of each type of bed cover are in the article.

Great article and I do like the look of your A.R.E. topper. I like the solid windows on the side as opposed to the sliders. If you don't mind me asking what was your total cost for that one.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have been thinking about getting a topper, specifically a SnugTop Rebel. What I would like to know is it worthwhile to get one or should I just stick with my tonneau cover. What are your thoughts, good and bad, plus and minus.
If you want to sleep in the bed, a topper makes more sense than a tonneau. If you carry bulky parcels, a topper allows bigger ones.

The downsides: people can see if there's something inside. If you need to carry something really big, a topper is a lot harder to remove. Rear visibility is reduced but maybe that's not such a big deal with the camera.

zlman

Reaction score
I love having a topper, anything I put in will be protected.
See avatar above ^^^

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had one on every Ram I've owned going back to 1994 and will purchase one for my new 2020 in the next several months - before hurricane season starts again. I'm not old but I am prudent in that I can put a ton of stuff in the back of the truck during hurricane evacuation and we can even sleep in the back if hotels become scarce. Best option for a hurricane evacuation rig in my opinion. I've had SnugTop, Leer, ATC and even the old Raider's from Canada when I lived in Alaska (no hurricanes but great for hunting/fishing) and my favorite was my SnugTop Rebel.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my truck for hunting, camping and family trips and would never go without a topper. I sleep in it all the time, carry smelling hunting dogs out of the cold and elements, and can still haul decent amounts of mulch, soil etc. If I need to haul a lot of landscape materials or a bulky object it is much easier to use a trailer anyways. Solid locking tonneau covers are nice but not enough room for gear for me and not for sleeping under! If you are worried about taking the topper off it isn't too hard to rig-up a system to back under and lift the topper for storage etc. I have never had an issue with security but I also made fabric curtains for camping that can block the windows to hide contents.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Back in my Colorado construction days I always had one. I was fortunate to have a 10,000 sq/ft building for the times I didn’t need it, and a forklift with extensions to remove it by myself. Still haven’t decided if I will buy one, not because I don’t need one sometimes, but my wife questions where it would go in the garage.

I’ve always had a gripe though, why has no manufacturer figured out a heated rear window with wiper/washer?

outdoorco75

Reaction score
These are spendy but have a unique look and cool options.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll add another gripe. What happened to the toppers that were vertical at the tailgate and not at an angle toward the cab of the pickup? You lose a good 4” to 7” of vertical space because it slants toward the back of the truck. I was told by the local topper company that it is for aerodynamics. I laughed and explained I’m driving a very heavy steel brick on four wheels with a 5.7L V8 engine...aerodynamics aren’t required when you have all that working against you!

Users who are viewing this thread