5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get a Topper?

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I’ll add another gripe. What happened to the toppers that were vertical at the tailgate and not at an angle toward the cab of the pickup? You lose a good 4” to 7” of vertical space because it slants toward the back of the truck. I was told by the local topper company that it is for aerodynamics. I laughed and explained I’m driving a very heavy steel brick on four wheels with a 5.7L V8 engine...aerodynamics aren’t required when you have all that working against you!
Here you go then!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a topper, specifically a SnugTop Rebel. What I would like to know is it worthwhile to get one or should I just stick with my tonneau cover. What are your thoughts, good and bad, plus and minus.
Just depends on why you want one or why you think you need one. Personally...I don't see the attraction...if you haul anything that doesn't fit...you'll have to hassle with it to remove it as opposed to just rolling up or flipping up a Tonneau cover.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
I couldnt imagine not having one. Road trips to visit family, camping, or just hauling stuff in the rain or on a dusty road. If whatever is too big its easier to put it on a trailer anyway.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldnt imagine not having one. Road trips to visit family, camping, or just hauling stuff in the rain or on a dusty road. If whatever is too big its easier to put it on a trailer anyway.
Yea I guess the weather proof aspect of it makes sense

1guyandtools

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a topper, specifically a SnugTop Rebel. What I would like to know is it worthwhile to get one or should I just stick with my tonneau cover. What are your thoughts, good and bad, plus and minus.
Topper and bed slide is my preference. No more crawling into the bed for something. Ram .jpg Topper Ram.jpg

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I've ended up with Toppers on most of my trucks. I only had a tonneau once and replaced it with a topper after a couple of years. The downside of the topper is duck walking every time you put stuff in your bed, and dealing with heavy stuff all bent over, sucks. The tonneau always seemed to make the truck bed too shallow for what I wanted to load so it's ability to protect the load was of limited value to me. The only occasions I regretted the topper was when trying to move furniture. I had a trailer for hauling occasional tall stuff.

The best topper I used was an A.R.E. that sloped up toward the rear (that's a real old man looking topper), but I work downtown now and have to use parking garages, so overall height eliminates that option. I haven't really looked at the options for my new Ram yet, with its curvy rear tailgate lip. Not sure how the rear door looks / works with that thing.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
What is the make and model of your topper. It looks excellent on your truck.
Thanks, its a Leer 100XQ . Leer was the only topper made for the 19 Ram when I was looking. I have had the ARE before and the Leer is a better topper. Fit, finish, just about every aspect.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, its a Leer 100XQ . Leer was the only topper made for the 19 Ram when I was looking. I have had the ARE before and the Leer is a better topper. Fit, finish, just about every aspect.
I’ve owned Leer, SnugTop, Raider and Century brands. I liked the SnugTop Rebel but they are too proud of that thing and cost far too much. Leer was always a great topper and is what I’ll be purchasing for my 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread