5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shorty headers for 21 ram 1500 5.7

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I installed new oem manifolds yesterday and removed the second set of shorties that I had on my truck after my original manifolds cracked and the dealer denied there was an issue. The shorties all cracked and warped too. The last pair that I just removed(AFE) was jet hot ceramic coated(which failed) and the flanges warped after less than 10k.

On recommendation by a local mechanic, I did not install the heat shield this time. Hopefully that helps.

Maybe longtube headers would fair better, but from my experience, shorties are a massive waste of time and money.

Chasebar

Reaction score
I installed new oem manifolds yesterday and removed the second set of shorties that I had on my truck after my original manifolds cracked and the dealer denied there was an issue. The shorties all cracked and warped too. The last pair that I just removed(AFE) was jet hot ceramic coated(which failed) and the flanges warped after less than 10k.

On recommendation by a local mechanic, I did not install the heat shield this time. Hopefully that helps.

Maybe longtube headers would fair better, but from my experience, shorties are a massive waste of time and money.
I appreciate the reply. I have been digging deep into the forum about this issue. Seeing that others have had issues with shorties as well, you have helped me make my mind up. OEM manifold it is. I might try to run without the heatshield as well and just hope this isn't a reoccurring problem..

Chasebar

Reaction score
Just an update, although nothing new that hasn't been discussed on the forum. Dropped truck off at the dealership today. They will confirm in a few days if it's actually a cracked manifold. The tech is almost certain it is and informed me this is a big problem with these 5th gens. So much so, there is a shortage on the manifolds and the dealership is only limited to two orders a month. Needless to say, I'll probably be waiting a while.. Powertrain warranty does cover this.

Users who are viewing this thread