5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shorty headers for 21 ram 1500 5.7

Dpmac83

Reaction score
New Ram 5.7 owner. Looking for a company that makes shorty headers for a 21 ram 1500 5.7 without Etorque. Haven't been able to find one, if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I have a 21 ram 1500 laramie with a pedal monster, afe dry filter, no charcoal filter and a catch can. Not looking for increased performance just a free-er intake and exhaust set up.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know there are some out there, Kooks and AFE come to mind off the top of my head. I have been bouncing the idea of putting shorties on mine since I got, but the minimal gains coupled with what looks to be a royal pain of a job has continued to push this lower on my mods list

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Afe is about the only ones that make shorties for 5th gens. I know jba is in works. I don’t think they are out yet.
im all with you on this OP.. as efficient as possible.. but the price is little much fir just shorties.
which reminds me, need to check our y pipe. Supposedly it’s been fix compared to 4th gens...

Dpmac83

Reaction score
I am looking to slowly open up the exhaust system but leave the factory emissions stuff alone. I just figured i would start with the crappy headers. Because it isn't a huge impact modification I can't justify spending more than i have to for bent and welded steel. I want to stay as stock sounding as possible because I tow a boat and occasionally a trailer with a bike or two on it.

Nails, let me know about the Y pipe if you would

Dpmac83

Reaction score
I know there are some out there, Kooks and AFE come to mind off the top of my head. I have been bouncing the idea of putting shorties on mine since I got, but the minimal gains coupled with what looks to be a royal pain of a job has continued to push this lower on my mods list
Hey, how do you like your mbrp muffler?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to slowly open up the exhaust system but leave the factory emissions stuff alone. I just figured i would start with the crappy headers. Because it isn't a huge impact modification I can't justify spending more than i have to for bent and welded steel. I want to stay as stock sounding as possible because I tow a boat and occasionally a trailer with a bike or two on it.

Nails, let me know about the Y pipe if you would
Will do probably this weekend

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kooks has a set of shorty headers for our trucks.

$1,400 MSRP though...

Bolts up to existing y-pipe. They say +25 hp and +40 torque gains.

I don’t think it’s a hard install but it’s an exhausting one (no pun intended). Lots of goofy angles required to get access to every bolt.

I’d be really curious if shorties really are capable of the below gains without a tune.

a5ee0d183fe9d1b59390101f62deb186.jpg

CMil527

Reaction score
Yeah big $$$ and i would love to know if they are seeing those numbers with or without a tune.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Kooks has a set of shorty headers for our trucks.

$1,400 MSRP though...

Bolts up to existing y-pipe. They say +25 hp and +40 torque gains.

I don’t think it’s a hard install but it’s an exhausting one (no pun intended). Lots of goofy angles required to get access to every bolt.

I’d be really curious if shorties really are capable of the below gains without a tune.

a5ee0d183fe9d1b59390101f62deb186.jpg
I imagine those gains are "part of a complete breakfast"... headers combined with CAI, tune, etc could net you that combined increase

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what afe told me also. Everything stock except headers. I agree gains, but that’s a lot for just shorties..... hell even LTs

Dpmac83

Reaction score
Man, for 1400 that better be without a tune! I want something that bolts in place but I can't see paying that much for shortys. Hoping for a quality set for around 5 to 600.

Dpmac83

Reaction score
I think jba has a set listed for 09 and newer but I am wanting to see if they are a bolt on install of the 5th gen 4wd. It's hard for me to pull the trigger unless they are listed as a compatible unit for my model year and set up.

Users who are viewing this thread