5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shooting Range at your HOUSE?!?!?!?

Chuck19

Reaction score
Anyone here have a shooting range on your property? I am planning one out now for mine and thought i would see if anyone here had one. If so please post some pics and let me know what you would change if you could do it over again, likes/dislikes of your current setup. Thanks

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

(kidding)

Wish I had the land for one to not **** of neighbors.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
Anyone here have a shooting range on your property? I am planning one out now for mine and thought i would see if anyone here had one. If so please post some pics and let me know what you would change if you could do it over again, likes/dislikes of your current setup. Thanks

Railroad ties in a "U" shape, the inside is filled with dirt. We used scrap wood on the inside with lugs to bolt all the ties together. Ended up needing some brackets on the outside (3rd picture) to hold the pieces once it started to fill with dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Snapchat-92702544.jpg
    Snapchat-92702544.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish...but not allowed in city limits.

Have often thought of buying some land outside of the city limits just for this!

Awood05

Reaction score
I do, but don’t have any pictures. It’s just a dirt hill in the corner of my country property that I set up metal targets on when I practice. I have intentions, down the road, to make a better one. Thought about building a cinderblock wall, filling in the air gaps with cement, and setting up my targets in front of it.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Railroad ties in a "U" shape, the inside is filled with dirt. We used scrap wood on the inside with lugs to bolt all the ties together. Ended up needing some brackets on the outside (3rd picture) to hold the pieces once it started to fill with dirt.
That looks really nice! I have all my materials being delivered Monday! I think I’m going to go with a half octagon shape which is similiar to your U shaped setup. Just curious how tall and wide is your backstop? Also is the dirt not in front of the wood? It’s only in the cavity made by the rail road ties?

Chuck19

Reaction score
I do, but don’t have any pictures. It’s just a dirt hill in the corner of my country property that I set up metal targets on when I practice. I have intentions, down the road, to make a better one. Thought about building a cinderblock wall, filling in the air gaps with cement, and setting up my targets in front of it.
How many acres do you have?

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
That looks really nice! I have all my materials being delivered Monday! I think I’m going to go with a half octagon shape which is similiar to your U shaped setup. Just curious how tall and wide is your backstop? Also is the dirt not in front of the wood? It’s only in the cavity made by the rail road ties?
half octagon sounds perfect, we wished we had done that once the U was finished. We only shoot pistol calibers on our range so we just piled up the broken ties in front of the backstop to add depth. The dirt is only inside the cavity. Backstop is about 7 1/2' Tall, 13' Wide, 5' Deep. If you count the extra broken ties the backstop is now about 7' deep.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Jealous.

But who has ammo to waste right now? Even my handloader buddies are having a hard time finding supplies (mostly primers).

I was going to build a one lane range in my garage - for function testing - save myself a trip to the local range after I've built or worked on a firearm. I put a lift in, instead - probably would have used the range more often. But it's harder to do an indoor range, than having the land to set one up outdoors (and it's hard to get a 100 yard zero - on a 25' lane).

LOL...

Rick

Chuck19

Reaction score
Got a delivery today so I have just about all the materials! The plan is to start this weekend!

Attachments

• 725CF35F-0A85-453A-9445-55A480641CA8.jpeg
    725CF35F-0A85-453A-9445-55A480641CA8.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 37

Chuck19

Reaction score
Jealous.

But who has ammo to waste right now? Even my handloader buddies are having a hard time finding supplies (mostly primers).

I was going to build a one lane range in my garage - for function testing - save myself a trip to the local range after I've built or worked on a firearm. I put a lift in, instead - probably would have used the range more often. But it's harder to do an indoor range, than having the land to set one up outdoors (and it's hard to get a 100 yard zero - on a 25' lane).

LOL...

Rick
Yeah my father in law reloads because he does competition shooting and he says they can’t find primers or bullets and when they do they might as well just buy ammo off the shelf! Fortunately I have a pretty solid stock pile. I used to shoot quite a bit but then I got married so I slowed down a little. Then had a kid and slowed down even more. Then had a 2nd one and completely stopped for a while. However I kept buying ammo knowing I would eventually start it up again! So Fortunately have quite a bit of ammo that I can use!

Chuck19

Reaction score
half octagon sounds perfect, we wished we had done that once the U was finished. We only shoot pistol calibers on our range so we just piled up the broken ties in front of the backstop to add depth. The dirt is only inside the cavity. Backstop is about 7 1/2' Tall, 13' Wide, 5' Deep. If you count the extra broken ties the backstop is now about 7' deep.
Well I am still not sure how tall I’m going to go yet but thinking about 7to 8 feet tall and about 15 feet wide as well. Thinking I might even dig down a little below the wall making the floor a couple feet lower making it like 9 feet tall. Still not sure about that though because I don’t want to make it a mud pit when it rains.

KCViper

Reaction score
Subscribing as I have some property and would love to see what everyone is building/doing!!

Chuck19

Reaction score
So a quick update on my progress. I have been working on this for about 9 days off and on when i have some time. I have a 3 month old and a 2 1/2 year old so spare time is a rarity. Also i am having to do this basicallly by myself so that doesn’t speed things along very much either.

So in the pictures you will see that behind the backstop is a structure, that structure is a detached garage. I chose to put it here because if for some reason something goes through the back stop (would be practically impossible because i am going to have about 8 feet of dirt plus rail road ties) it will have to go through the detached garage and then go another 1/2 mile before coming anywhere near someone else’s property. Even though we have 4 acres any other direction would have been either pointing directly at someone’s house or pointed at someone else’s land where they keep live stock. I didn’t like either of those options so i decided on this orientation on my property.

So the structure is about 8 feet tall and about 20 feet wide. I used (2) 4x6’s for each wall as braces with 6” screws that go into each rail road tie through each support. Hoping to finish it up in the next couple of days! Here a are a few pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 12E8049C-C6E4-468E-9CE0-6B4E832E5C19.jpeg
    12E8049C-C6E4-468E-9CE0-6B4E832E5C19.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 05A8A517-B52A-46F6-B251-8CE524A54BC5.jpeg
    05A8A517-B52A-46F6-B251-8CE524A54BC5.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 4B0C5A97-663B-477B-ADC3-BDFC75A0ED7D.jpeg
    4B0C5A97-663B-477B-ADC3-BDFC75A0ED7D.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 542076DF-96D0-421A-BB92-2A08ECA69A3B.jpeg
    542076DF-96D0-421A-BB92-2A08ECA69A3B.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 079C1BC5-CF2C-4819-AD31-85D71F2FBE65.jpeg
    079C1BC5-CF2C-4819-AD31-85D71F2FBE65.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 58

CLECSoft

Reaction score
I shoot suppressed so can shoot for function anytime.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So what happens when you chew through the wood? I devastated a rail road tie with a Siaga and a bunch of slugs. I could see regular hits would take thier toll quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread