5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

, shock replacement with air ride suspension

jljbtm

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their shocks yet with the air ride suspension I think mine is due at 86,000 miles. I'm not sure how long they last and should I use originally equipment shocks or aftermarket?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear shocks or all around? If just the rear, I'd go aftermarket with Bilstein 5100s, Eibachs, or Fox 2.0s for a little more.

For the front, I am honestly not sure whether they can just replace the strut part, or if the whoe air spring assembly has to be replaced. On prior Air Rides non-Rams I had, the whole air spring assembly had to be replaced.

That said, I know for the prior DS gen Ram air ride, it was possible to adapt ride height adjustable aftermarket shocks to the stock front air bags. I have not heard of anyone doing that on the current DT gen Ram air ride though.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure about air suspension, but aftermarket shocks are always better than OEM. Most OEM shocks don't really last more than 50,000 miles. Unless they have made some miraculous improvements since I was a mechanic.

1500DFW

Reaction score
I just replaced mine. I used OEM in the rear as I prefer the soft ride of them. Very easy to install. I also replaced the fronts. The airbag and shock are one unit. It’s a lot of work but I also put on spacers to level it.

jljbtm

Reaction score
Doesn't your air ride level it up? So the front shock is part of the airbag? How many miles do you have?

1500DFW

Reaction score
The air ride won’t level it unless you get custom links or adjust the height with AlfaOBD. I did mine with AlfaOBD. I added the spacers to keep the ride smoother. The front airbag and shock are one single unit. I’m at 80k.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Doesn't your air ride level it up? So the front shock is part of the airbag? How many miles do you have?
The rake is built in for aerodynamics. Air ride raises and lowers with the same rake. You have to modify one way or another to level.

Users who are viewing this thread