5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping from another state

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
500 miles away is a no brainer. I’m 1300 miles away and don’t like the thought of putting 1300 miles on my truck immediately.
Your absolutely right, your truck is almost 3 times further than mine was, but you mentioned you had the points to cover the cost for the flight and hotel.
You would also have to add the cost for your meals for your trip.
I don’t know how long you will keep your truck and how many miles you drive in a year, but I don’t think you will wear out your new ride in just 1300 miles.

Ram21

Reaction score
I got my truck from Mark Dodge and opted to fly there and drive it home. Am in SW Florida, and flew into New Orleans Airport and the salesman met me there, gave the truck a once over and went over a few things and took off right away. It was 800 miles to home, plus the 200 or so the salesman drove from Lake Charles to N.O.
He had quoted me about $600 I think for shipping, which I was on the fence about, but the flight and gas back was less than $200 so I decided what the heck I'll drive it home. Yes it's a lot of miles right away, but if you're willing to wait for shipping I'd say go that route. Another factor for not having it shipped for me is I live on a very narrow dead end road with no turnaround so not sure if the transport truck would have been too big/long to maneuver here (trucks usually back in about 1/2 mile from the main road). And the nearest parking lot to meet is like 7 miles away.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I got my truck from Mark Dodge and opted to fly there and drive it home. Am in SW Florida, and flew into New Orleans Airport and the salesman met me there, gave the truck a once over and went over a few things and took off right away. It was 800 miles to home, plus the 200 or so the salesman drove from Lake Charles to N.O.
He had quoted me about $600 I think for shipping, which I was on the fence about, but the flight and gas back was less than $200 so I decided what the heck I'll drive it home. Yes it's a lot of miles right away, but if you're willing to wait for shipping I'd say go that route. Another factor for not having it shipped for me is I live on a very narrow dead end road with no turnaround so not sure if the transport truck would have been too big/long to maneuver here (trucks usually back in about 1/2 mile from the main road). And the nearest parking lot to meet is like 7 miles a
That's a good point. We have people we can stay with on the drive back too, if we go that route. By then if this stupid pandemic is still an issue we might be looking forward to a nice getaway and drive it back.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I had Mark Dodge ship the truck to Orlando for me. I have a problem with these blasted masks that everybody mandates you wear today, so I was looking for the shortest amount of required wearing time. The shortest flights would get me in around 9pm, so now there was a hotel stay as I wouldn't be able to get the truck until morning.

The flight was around $50, the hotel I assumed would be about $120, meals the next day would be about $20, and gas home for $675 miles was about another $225. So, for about $425 and many hours of my time, or $800 and none of my time, no stone chips, nothing, I shipped it.

Ram21

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I had Mark Dodge ship the truck to Orlando for me. I have a problem with these blasted masks that everybody mandates you wear today, so I was looking for the shortest amount of required wearing time. The shortest flights would get me in around 9pm, so now there was a hotel stay as I wouldn't be able to get the truck until morning.

The flight was around $50, the hotel I assumed would be about $120, meals the next day would be about $20, and gas home for $675 miles was about another $225. So, for about $425 and many hours of my time, or $800 and none of my time, no stone chips, nothing, I shipped it.
In that case I would have shipped it for sure. My flight was like almost free as I had a credit with Southwest from previous cancellations, got in at 11 AM to New Orleans, and drove back straight through getting home around 11 PM. Gas was about $125 maybe? No hotel.

german88

Reaction score
I flew into Cleveland and drove mine home to Spokane WA. Nothing like a road trip to break it in...

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks. Sorry for bumping the thread. I'm getting my first car out of state, so I'd like to know if it's worth hiring a transportation service. Or should I drive the car home myself?
I think it really depends on how far the move cost is vs Gas and a Flight.

When I purchased an 8.5' x 24' trailer from the Manufacturer in Douglas GA. I drove my Eco Diesel down and back
from NH. As buying it locally, paying the Transport cost, and the local dealer's Profit, would have been around $3500
extra. Where Diving down on a weekend and picking it up 1st thing on Monday and driving back really only cost me
the Diesel and my time. I could even avoid all but 1 toll northbound on I-84 over the Hudson River Bridge in upstate NY.

Malodave

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi folks. Sorry for bumping the thread. I'm getting my first car out of state, so I'd like to know if it's worth hiring a transportation service. Or should I drive the car home myself?
I'm retired, so time for travel doesn't matter. I plan on grabbing a cheap flight, and they will pick me up from the airport. I would rather see the truck before signing, and the flight is about a third of the cost to ship here. I can take my time and enjoy a scenic drive home in my new truck. I will just stop an a cheaper motel on the way. But shipping, or picking up myself, I'm saving thousands over buying locally.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm retired, so time for travel doesn't matter. I plan on grabbing a cheap flight, and they will pick me up from the airport. I would rather see the truck before signing, and the flight is about a third of the cost to ship here. I can take my time and enjoy a scenic drive home in my new truck. I will just stop an a cheaper motel on the way. But shipping, or picking up myself, I'm saving thousands over buying locally.
Get a Comma3 and install it. The Truck needs Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control to work.
Takes about 1 hour if you download the software at home first. Then the truck can drive you home!
There is a Video on Youtube about installing it.

I have over 15K miles on mine with my hands off the wheel about 95% of the time.
I am running the SunnyPilot release-c3 Branch of OpenPilot.

I make this Mirror Mount for it:

MirrorMountFront.jpg

MirrorMountRear.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread