5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping from another state

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Now that I've secured my Rebel build I started thinking about whether or not I should ship my truck from Mark Dodge to Phoenix, AZ or fly over there and drive it back. I'm leaning toward shipping right now to avoid putting 1300 miles on the truck right away. All of you that have had your truck shipped to you, how does that work? What if the truck gets to you and something is wrong with it? Did any of you have any issues with shipping? Anything I should keep an eye on or be aware of? Thanks to all for their input.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have Mark Dodge tell the Factory to ship it to a local to you Dealer. You are paying for a
Destination charge so get it delivered to your local destination. All the Paperwork still
gets handled by Mark Dodge.

Malodave

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Have Mark Dodge tell the Factory to ship it to a local to you Dealer. You are paying for a
Destination charge so get it delivered to your local destination. All the Paperwork still
gets handled by Mark Dodge.

Malodave
Aaron at Mark Dodge never said this was even an option. You sure they can do this?

Just confirmed that's not an option. The truck always ships to the dealership that purchased it.

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a story about a Chevy Dealer Doing this for a woman's C8 Corvette.
Then by mistake a Salesman at that dealership sold the car. When they didn't
even have the paperwork to do it. I do believe she got her Car back, because
she paid for it already at the Original Dealer.

All you can do is ask. They may say yes or say no. But it is a no if you don't ask.

It could save you a second shipping charge/ Flight to and Drive back, Fuel costs, and
a bunch of miles on your new Truck.

On the Dealer's Invoice it has Sold to Block and a Ship to Block.

Malodave

db252

Reaction score
Mines getting shipped from Aaron at Mark Dodge as well to CA. They will handle the logistics to acquire a third party transport they use all the time. It’s a timing of the year and what you’re willing to spend as it goes to bid. Ive had plenty of cars shipped to me this way and has never been a problem. Estimate around $1500 for your location; might start with less but wait for a longer period of time as it’s a convenience period of time or go higher for someone to grab it up quicker. If you calculate flight, fuel, food, how many nights you’ll stop over it can add up to the same or more.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
I had my ram trucked to me from an out-of-state dealer. I definitely was concerned about the hassles if anything was wrong upon arrival. Fortunately, the truck arrived flawless. The dealer secured the transport company, but I had to pay them (obviously). Just be sure the salesman is responsible enough to get everything included in the truck on delivery (bed utility group, floor mats, manuals, etc.).

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mark Dodge shipped my truck to me. I paid $800 from the dealership to Orlando, FL. When I received my truck, there was a small stone chip in the front of the hood, and a small door ding by the driver door handle. The dealership told me to take care of it and they will pay the bill. Because they did me right with the purchase, I elected to not send them any bills.

Now, I do need to clarify why I didn't send any bills. I have done PDR since 2003, so the dent was out in minutes. The stone chip I also fixed, because one chip is less than I would have had if I drove it home the 800 miles.

I called the dealership on a Tuesday and told them that I wasn't going to fly in and asked about shipping. I got a few quotes of my own and none came in under $1000. They suggested that I offer to pay $800 as a fair price for a delivery. They said less $$ and I might need to wait a few days or so. Within 30 minutes of telling them ok, they had a driver saying that he was driving from Houston to Orlando and had space for the truck. They picked up on Wednesday and I took delivery on Thursday. It was so easy. Mark Dodge made a point of covering any issues I had and I didn't have any. I WILL buy from them again.

saylor

Reaction score
we drove 6hrs to get this grey ferd we got a couple of weeks ago i say drive it !

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I’m being told it should be between $800-$1000. If that’s the cost then I’ll pay it. If it’s anymore then I’ll fly and pick it up. I would only pay for gas since I have points to fly and points for a hotel. We flew to Dallas back in 2017 to pick up my wife’s car. This is a little bit further though.

Nsm42

Reaction score
I had my truck shipped from Bill Luke in Phoenix to So Cal because it had all of the options I wanted. This was in July, so everything was over the phone and via email. My experience with the dealership was pretty poor, but my truck arrived flawlessly and only cost me about $240 for the transport.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Good to know. I was hoping people that have gone through the shipping process before, so this makes me feel better.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had my ram trucked to me from an out-of-state dealer. I definitely was concerned about the hassles if anything was wrong upon arrival. Fortunately, the truck arrived flawless. The dealer secured the transport company, but I had to pay them (obviously). Just be sure the salesman is responsible enough to get everything included in the truck on delivery (bed utility group, floor mats, manuals, etc.).
Thats a tough call. You wouldn't be there to do the PDI and get things fixed, likely when you got it to your place no local dealer would fix little annoying things either...
If you got it shipped you should see if it can be covered by the protective film I see on some auto transporters...

i like driving so I’d drive it myself...

Silent Bob

Reaction score
My wife's car was delivered in a box truck. It rolled out perfectly clean and damage free.

The upside of driving is it's a great way to quickly learn all about your new truck. You can read the manual when not driving and try out all the features on the road.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fly and drive, it’s the best way to enjoy your new ride, my last four vehicles were 500 miles away, once I flew down, twice drove down to trade in and on my last purchase, my wife and I drove in our Jeep to get my Rebel, we came home with both. Make it a small holiday if you can.
I do have a FCA or should I say a Stelantis dealer in my small home town and they do not have the specific vehicles that I want. They have no issues performing services on my vehicles.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Fly and drive, it’s the best way to enjoy your new ride, my last four vehicles were 500 miles away, once I flew down, twice drove down to trade in and on my last purchase, my wife and I drove in our Jeep to get my Rebel, we came home with both. Make it a small holiday if you can.
I do have a FCA or should I say a Stelantis dealer in my small home town and they do not have the specific vehicles that I want. They have no issues performing services on my vehicles.
500 miles away is a no brainer. I’m 1300 miles away and don’t like the thought of putting 1300 miles on my truck immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread