5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shift to P then Desired Gear" Error

Paul laeven

Reaction score
Hallo , i have the same problem with my Ram 1500 huilt in2020 on LPG , it usually happend When breking in a bend , i also notice that the A/T shifts roughly When I get this message . My dealer connected the Ram to the Witech but no error messages were recorded . They have no explanation or solution for it .

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
View attachment 100751
I had the same issue, and cleaning the throttle body has fixed the issue so far.
It’s happening because the butterfly in the throttle body is dirty and it is sticking on the closed position. So let’s say you are driving at 25mph, you are coming to a stop sign and let go the pedal, the butterfly holds on the close position. While the tranny is doing the downshifts, the throttle still is on the closed until the tranny gets in 1st gear, then the butterfly is supposed to gradually get in to idle position, but since the butterfly it is sticking to the sides, it releases rapidly giving the impression of a hard down shift. But if you pay close attention, it actually launches the truck forward, even your a/c blower revs up, and it happens after the truck has been stopped for hours.
I figured this out because it did it so often that I already knew when it was about to happen, so I was testing by putting the truck in neutral before the “hard shift” happen and I heard that the engine was holding low rpms and then was doing a hard rev.
With the truck off, ignition off, and cold. I removed the clamp holding the air intake at the throttle body, disconnected the sensor on the intake tube right above the clamp, disconnected the plug going to the throttle body, removed the 4 bolts holding the throttle body down, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner, wiped it clean, and reinstalled everything back. I didn’t have to do relearn
Hey everyone.

I have a 2019 Ram four-door with approx. 44k miles. I had it for about 6 months when I got this alert for the first time. I was coming to a stop light, and the truck dings at me, gives me the error code "Shift to P then Desired Gear" and shifts itself into neutral. Once I come to a stop, I can then put it back into Drive and continue driving. This only happened once then so I let it slide at a quirk. (see picture below of notification)

Fast forward to now. The error code comes up at least 4 times per week, sometimes multiple times in a day. Always happens when I'm coming to a stop. I do notice that the truck seems to shift very hard when accelerating from a full stop or slowing to stop. It's going into the shop on Monday to get this looked at, but has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming it's a transmission issue.
View attachment 100751
Dirty throttle body. I removed mine, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner, wiped it clean, and reinstalled. No relearn or anything like it. Fixed my issue.

Hookie

Reaction score
Joining the crowd! 2020 RAM 4X4, truck threw "shift to park" message while braking then leached forward and tapped the vehicle in front of me! Luckily the other driver didn't make a stink about it! Sounds like yet another trip to the dealer for yet another issue and to be told "couldn't replicate the problem", so FRUSTRATING!!!!!

DelmonicoRed34

Reaction score
I had the same issue, and cleaning the throttle body has fixed the issue so far.
It’s happening because the butterfly in the throttle body is dirty and it is sticking on the closed position. So let’s say you are driving at 25mph, you are coming to a stop sign and let go the pedal, the butterfly holds on the close position. While the tranny is doing the downshifts, the throttle still is on the closed until the tranny gets in 1st gear, then the butterfly is supposed to gradually get in to idle position, but since the butterfly it is sticking to the sides, it releases rapidly giving the impression of a hard down shift. But if you pay close attention, it actually launches the truck forward, even your a/c blower revs up, and it happens after the truck has been stopped for hours.
I figured this out because it did it so often that I already knew when it was about to happen, so I was testing by putting the truck in neutral before the “hard shift” happen and I heard that the engine was holding low rpms and then was doing a hard rev.
With the truck off, ignition off, and cold. I removed the clamp holding the air intake at the throttle body, disconnected the sensor on the intake tube right above the clamp, disconnected the plug going to the throttle body, removed the 4 bolts holding the throttle body down, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner, wiped it clean, and reinstalled everything back. I didn’t have to do relearn

Dirty throttle body. I removed mine, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner, wiped it clean, and reinstalled. No relearn or anything like it. Fixed my issue.
Hi Ruben,

Did this indeed fix your issue 100% and has not duplicated since you cleaned the throttle body?

I am going through the same issues as everyone on this thread. Dealer has not been able to replicate once and said it was the battery.

DelmonicoRed34

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update from my end - the issue is STILL happening. Took it to the dealership a total of 2 times for this issue alone and they didn't do jack. Always "we couldn't recreate your issue". This happened twice yesterday just coming home from work. Straight highway, with the code happening when coming to red lights, typically lights that are red (begin braking) but turn green as I approach. @Basen71 explained it best by saying "Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob."

@RamCares this issue is going to get me or someone else killed. Try crossing a busy highway when this Error throws and you have to quickly shift to Park then Drive to avoid getting T-Boned by oncoming traffic. Do better.

Oh, and to add to my frustration, apparently my 4WD doesn't work. Actuator or a wire harness, TBD. But that's for another post.
What was the final verdict from the dealer? Or from Ram Cares? I am going through the same with my ‘19 Big Horn 2WD, dealer can’t replicate. I left the dealer and 30 miles later before I got home it did it again. Service director had previously driven the truck and it never happened ti him. He put 50 miles in a 3 day span. This is such a frustrating issue and dangerous.

@RamCares

Reaction score
Hi Ruben,

Did this indeed fix your issue 100% and has not duplicated since you cleaned the throttle body?

I am going through the same issues as everyone on this thread. Dealer has not been able to replicate once and said it was the battery.
No issues so far. The scanner can’t see this issue, so instead of doing a proper diagnosis, they start throwing parts at it.
Not sure if you are mechanically inclined, but I would try cleaning the throttle body, you don’t loose anything and it is very ease to do. A new battery is over $200.

bigwidge

Reaction score
No issues so far. The scanner can’t see this issue, so instead of doing a proper diagnosis, they start throwing parts at it.
Not sure if you are mechanically inclined, but I would try cleaning the throttle body, you don’t loose anything and it is very ease to do. A new battery is over $200.
Thank you for sharing. I'm going to try this tonight.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. I'm going to try this tonight.
I agree with Ruben-Ram5th 1500 on cleaning the throttle body. I was getting the drop into neutral fairly regularly, then on some advice I got on here, cleaned mine well over a year ago, and it has not dropped into neutral since. It wasn't even very dirty IMO.

Although I've heard from others, that this did not fix their problem, so I dunno.

Hope it works!

gian maria

Reaction score
Ciao ragazzi vi scrivo dall' ITALIA ed il mio fantastico RAM 2019 hemi limited aveva lo stesso problema (andata in folle in frenata) e l'ho risolto brillantemente seguendo il consiglio della pulizia del corpo farfallato. Consiglio di insistere nello spruzzare il liquido anche se il motore si affoga e si spegne durante la procedura( va fatto con il motore in moto altrimenti non serve a niente).Una persona sarà al volante e controllerà l'accelleratore cercando di mantenere il motore sui 1500/1800 rpm mentre un'altra persona spruzzerà il liquido ben all'interno del corpo farfallato.Come dicevo, se il motore si affoga e si spegne,niente paura ,riavviare e continuare a spruzzare in modo che si puliscano bene anche gli iniettori.Presumo che chi ha provato ma non ha avuto risultati si sia fermato troppo presto

Reaction score
Ciao ragazzi vi scrivo dall' ITALIA ed il mio fantastico RAM 2019 hemi limited aveva lo stesso problema (andata in folle in frenata) e l'ho risolto brillantemente seguendo il consiglio della pulizia del corpo farfallato. Consiglio di insistere nello spruzzare il liquido anche se il motore si affoga e si spegne durante la procedura( va fatto con il motore in moto altrimenti non serve a niente).Una persona sarà al volante e controllerà l'accelleratore cercando di mantenere il motore sui 1500/1800 rpm mentre un'altra persona spruzzerà il liquido ben all'interno del corpo farfallato.Come dicevo, se il motore si affoga e si spegne,niente paura ,riavviare e continuare a spruzzare in modo che si puliscano bene anche gli iniettori.Presumo che chi ha provato ma non ha avuto risultati si sia fermato troppo presto
I wouldn’t clean the throttle body with the engine running. This could probably damage your cats and who knows what else.

Users who are viewing this thread