5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shift knob question

Bigmarv

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a 2020 bighorn. Love the truck just not digging the shift knob. Has anyone done a conversation to the TRX or gt package shifter. How difficult would this swap be? Thanks in advance.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried search? This has been talked about already.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I tried but nothing came up. But I'll try again thanks
Here's one that I found easily with search. There are others too.

raygun9

Reaction score
One guy did it successfully and posted here but Im not sure what he did for the dial after he no longer needed it.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
Give it a few weeks and you will love the dial shifter. I don't miss a shifter at all. Don't want to go back.
I don't like how much space the new one takes up for absolutely no gain in functionality. It is just a waste.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Give it a few weeks and you will love the dial shifter. I don't miss a shifter at all. Don't want to go back.
I hate the dial shifter, but I don't want to spend $2000 to $3000 to replace the entire center stack and other trim pieces for a normal shifter.
Feels like I drive a cheap minivan with the knob.
These trucks have so much storage damn near everywhere that the space you lose having a console shifter doesn't matter imo.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I hate the dial shifter, but I don't want to spend $2000 to $3000 to replace the entire center stack and other trim pieces for a normal shifter.
Feels like I drive a cheap minivan with the knob.
These trucks have so much storage damn near everywhere that the space you lose having a console shifter doesn't matter imo.
Never once have I sat in my truck and thought, this feels like a cheap minivan. Maybe my standards are just too low. I feel more like I'm in higher end vehicle.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Funny that they have been using them in BMWs for years. But maybe they aren't high class.
They have been in Ford Explorers for years too for their AWD switcher (that says snow, sand, mud, etc), and they looked like cheap crap in those too.
Maybe Ram should put it on the radio screen next?
Would that make it
feel more like I'm in higher end vehicle.
lol.

These aren't small 2 door cars, there is space for a shifter it's not rocket science technology.

The knob doesn't do anything the shifter can't in fact you lose features. Most cars with a regular shifter can manually shift. All of my vehicles I have owned except for 1 could shift manually with the console shifter, Kia, Infiniti, Ford, GMC. My Oldsmobile couldn't but it had a column shifter anyways.

Now they put crap on the wheel, which should be more clutter free then the center console to put the crap that they removed (gear limiter in the case of Ram).

vincentw56

Reaction score
A shifter knob doesn't feel "high class"
Well, guess our definition of high class are different. Never once looked at it and thought it was a POS design. And I've never had a single person in my truck say, this truck is amazing except for the cheap looking shifter knob. They have only complemented on how nice the interior is. But guess we are definitely different.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If you want “high class” your driving the wrong vehicle.
Right, I didn't even say "high class". I know I'm not driving a Mercedes. But definitely higher class than a cheap minivan.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve actually seen RAM Limited interior compared to Mercedes in several reviews since they introduced the 5th Gen.

Personally I’ve had more people comment on how nice the interior is and ask where is the shifter than say the knob looks stupid and cheap.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I like the shift knob in my Laramie, especially with the AJT billet knob. That said, I decided to do the TRX shifter conversion. It was actually pretty easy and no tools are required.

Old shifter:

Shifter Knob.jpg

New shifter:

713217668.jpg.jpeg

Bigmarv

Reaction score
I guess I'm just turning into a crotchety old man that doesn't like change. Also a cheapskate because I couldn't choke down the price of a G/T Rebel. Had the truck only 3 weeks and I turned the volume up on the radio once and keep reaching too high and almost grabbing the radio knob. Eventually I will get the hang of it. Maybe 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread