5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell rotella gas truck oil

Granite5thgen

Reaction score

Anyone use this yet? Was thinking of trying it out with a mobil 1 filter. I'm going to send my oil out to Blackstone labs with the Mobil 1 oil and see what it reads, would like to do the same with this after the same miles to see any differences

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Really?! No ones used this is has any plan to? Figured it would be a viable option cause trucks do different things than cars and the oil should be made accordingly

cra1g

Reaction score
I found this interesting, from a Q&A with Shell on BobIsTheOilGuy:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...la-gas-truck-synthetic-engine-oil-q-a-answers

22. Why would one choose Rotella over Ultra, Platinum or Conventional engine oil in a gasoline operation? What applications was it really designed for?
a. Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions like stop-and-go driving, sludge forming environments, extensive idling, heavy hauling and towing, rugged terrain and extreme hot and cold temperatures. We know that gas truck owners want a motor oil that delivers on key benefits including protection for extremes their engines face. Shell Rotella Gas Truck is all about hard work and we know that many gasoline-powered pickup and SUV drivers, particularly those with 4x4 vehicles, use their trucks for hard-working purposes. Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum are both high performing products as well. They are different formulations with different chemical compositions. We encourage customers that are currently using Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to continue using those products.

Translation: It's just marketing.

Aries Ram

AriesRam
Reaction score

Anyone use this yet? Was thinking of trying it out with a mobil 1 filter. I'm going to send my oil out to Blackstone labs with the Mobil 1 oil and see what it reads, would like to do the same with this after the same miles to see any differences
I'm having my oil changed to it right now. I ran mobil on my last oil change but mobil 1 has not met spec for the Ram yet so I m backing out on it, at least until out of warranty.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
I've used Rotella for years in my 500hp SRT4 with no issues. this might be worth a shot in the hemi...

phillips602

Reaction score
I just switched to this oil last week. I always had good luck with rotella in my subaru engines, so I wanted to try this in the ram. Price is good too. I also switched to K&N oil filters over the mopar.

SirRobbin

Reaction score
I've always been a Wix Filter guy. They just make a damn fine filter.

Been Mobil 1 guy forever with zero complaints. I am liking what I'm reading on the Pennzoil Ultra Plat. I plan to use this in my rigs going forward. Wish me luck :coffee::giggle:

deanfx

Reaction score
Intersting information. I've always like Rotella but never used it in a gasoline engine.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you guys read this section on the Bob is the oil guy questioning.....

So yes, it is applicable for new turbo-charged V4 and 4 cylinder trucks. For V8 trucks with traditional pushrod applications you mention, customers often times seek a higher level of zinc content. In this case, we recommend you use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil or Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 as they contain a higher level of zinc.

Is that not saying that it’s not a great oil for our Hemis?

GerryS

Reaction score
Rotlla has been recommended for older engines that use flat tappet cams. It has more ZDDP than the newer oils. ZDDP helps reduce the friction in sliding surfaces like the older interface between the camshaft and lifters. It's not necessary to have as much ZDDP in modern engines with roller lifters.

One reason they have been lowering the ZDDP in modern oils is that it fouls the catalytic converters. (Which I believe are mandated to be warranted for 100,000 miles)

Gerry

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One reason they have been lowering the ZDDP in modern oils is that it fouls the catalytic converters. (Which I believe are mandated to be warranted for 100,000 miles)
8 years / 80K miles, I think.

miller89

Reaction score
Really?! No ones used this is has any plan to? Figured it would be a viable option cause trucks do different things than cars and the oil should be made accordingly

I am on my second oil change with this stuff. I have not had any analyzed yet. I used to use rotella T6 in a lot of other vehicles and loved it. I will say, this last oil changed i just drained. I used 5w30 (yes, I know our engines called for 5w20) and my engined ate right under a quart of oil. I ran the oil for 4k miles.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I just did a oil change and used Rotella oil, always used this oil on my 2500 when I had it. As of right now I have no issues and running good.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
Just switched to Rotella from Mobil 1. so far so good

dsn112

Reaction score
My truck is on the bottle, had to use it

0d6ff66a23fa81b17a0cd4129a1b8fe2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread