5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting Trailer Brake Type

daberk

Reaction score
I brought my new 21' boat home last Saturday. This is a tandem axle trailer and it has a brake fluid reservoir in the trailer tongue. My dealer said the trailer brakes are not electric so it won't matter what the gain is set at. Lights work fine, towed home fine. In doing some more research on trailer brakes I came across a type of surge brakes called electric over hydraulic. Is this the type of brakes I would have on the trailer? If so, will the brake controller control the brakes if I change to that setting? Thanks.

Boston

Reaction score
Sounds like you have EOH. Lets see a picture of the tongue . They are much better than pure electric

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know much about boat trailers...but it seem quite a few use surge brakes.

Does your trailer use a 4 pin or the 7 pin connector?

The answer to this will sum it up pretty quick.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the trailer has surge brakes, there is a piston in the tongue that applies the brakes on the trailer depending on how hard the truck is braking. No electric adjustment or setting needed, it’s all hydraulic. Most boat trailers are this way.

You may need to put a pin in the hole indicated on the side when reversing up a hill or at higher speeds as the trailer brakes will apply with any sort of reverse force.

Users who are viewing this thread