5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Electronic Throttle Control and a Long List of Codes

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was driving along the highway (not interstate) into the NC mountains. Part way up the mountain, I heard an odd noise in the front, sort of a "donk," followed by the sound of air rushing. My first thought was I'd punctured a tire, but then I started losing power and the dash lit up. First I saw "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and then I think the ABS light came on. The truck slowly made it up the mountain, but I pulled over at an overlook and used my OBD scanner to read the codes.
It threw off a ton of codes, including "Turbo underboost (or something like that)," "Implausible Data Received from TCM," "Torque Request Signal Denied," "Lost Communication with TCM," "ABS Disabled CPU," "Implausible Data Received from Driver Assistance System Module," "Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1," and some others I didn't capture on my screen grab. The transmission/engine started surging and there would be a noticeable noise like air under the hood. I though maybe some sort of vacuum line had broken, though when I looked under the hood (after parking it at my destination) everything looked normal and clean--at least what I could see.

As I got closer to where it's now parked, it began shifting erratically and I could hear a "clunking" noise from what seemed like the rear differential area. I'm about three weeks before my 3/36 warranty expires, though powertrain I know is longer, so I plan to take it to the dealer but I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts.

I'll add that I've read all the stories about the OEM battery only making it about three years and that all sort of electrical issues can happen when it starts to go. So, I changed the battery, but the problem remains.

I've got about 21K miles, the vast majority being interstate/highway.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
reading the "air rushing" part of your post. my first thought would be that the charge pipe may have blown off either end of the intercooler. that's where I would check first. having owned a troublesome first gen RAM ED I was aware at the time of this happening to other owners. as for the plethora of DTC's, any time one of those motors see a problem, it sets a large number of codes downstream from the original problem condition. but charge piping would be the first place I would look..
Good luck. keep us posted.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
reading the "air rushing" part of your post. my first thought would be that the charge pipe may have blown off either end of the intercooler. that's where I would check first. having owned a troublesome first gen RAM ED I was aware at the time of this happening to other owners. as for the plethora of DTC's, any time one of those motors see a problem, it sets a large number of codes downstream from the original problem condition. but charge piping would be the first place I would look..
Thanks, I'm heading back up now and will check it out and will report back.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Assuming I am looking at the right pipes (left and right side of intercooler. At the bottom) they are attached but there is some wiggle play at the connection points. Also where one pipe goes over the engine at the center of the engine bay.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup that would do it. The good news is, for the low low cost of a new clamp, you should be back on the road nice and quick. glad it wasn't a blown out end cap on the inter-cooler. that would have been less cheap.
Thanks for your guidance. What would have caused it?

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
Thanks for your guidance. What would have caused it?
my guess is that the clamp was faulty. as you climbed the mountain, the boost pressure would have been holding steady at an elevated pressure, and the clamp finally gave up. once you replace it, chances are it will never fail again. I'm pleased I was able to point you in the right direction.
cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread