5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service 4wd System

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remote started my truck the other day, got in and 4wd will no longer work. VIC says “Service 4wd System” and I am unable to select anything other than 2wd, zero response from all other buttons.

Scanned the codes and came up with C140A-12 “transfer case motor control-circuit shorted to battery”. I had checked all connections at the front axle disconnect, transfer case and dtcm and found nothing loose or corroded.

Can’t find much info regarding this issue, and the closest dealer is nearly 3 hours each way. And in the dead of winter in northern Ontario the last thing I want to do is bring it in for diagnosis and then repair without the use of 4wd.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found this tsb, which is to check dtcm connections which I have done. Will clear the codes in the morning and test afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.png
    IMG_0648.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 14

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Remote started my truck the other day, got in and 4wd will no longer work. VIC says “Service 4wd System” and I am unable to select anything other than 2wd, zero response from all other buttons.

Scanned the codes and came up with C140A-12 “transfer case motor control-circuit shorted to battery”. I had checked all connections at the front axle disconnect, transfer case and dtcm and found nothing loose or corroded.

Can’t find much info regarding this issue, and the closest dealer is nearly 3 hours each way. And in the dead of winter in northern Ontario the last thing I want to do is bring it in for diagnosis and then repair without the use of 4wd.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found this tsb, which is to check dtcm connections which I have done. Will clear the codes in the morning and test afterwards.

Hi,

We thank you for making us aware of your concerns. The Ram Canada team would be in the best position to assist you. You can get in contact with them by calling 1-800-465-2001.

Dakota
Ram Cares

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve contacted my closest dealer about getting a few repairs done that were diagnosed at a different dealer along with the high pressure fuel pump recall. They are going to look into the 4wd issue while I am there, waiting on parts now.

Today is slightly above freezing and the service 4wd message popped up when I first started the truck but went away approximately 15 miles down the road. Cycled through the 4wd options a few times, service 4wd message came and went a few times. On the return trip the truck stayed in 4wd high with no messages at all. Maybe something was just frozen?

cdsons

Reaction score
I bet it's your 4wd actuator, I recently had the same issue. I ordered the part from rock auto and changed it out in less than 45 minutes, you might have to add a little oil to the front differential as you will lose a little bit when you remove the old actuator.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well this is fun. Tried to start the truck today and it lit up like a Christmas tree. Warnings for everything and even said to continue driving in D and not to shift gears. Tried to shut the truck off and it just says vehicle not in park and won’t turn off.

Guess it’s a 300km (180mile) tow one way on FCA’s bill.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.png
    IMG_0659.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0657.png
    IMG_0657.png
    121 KB · Views: 13

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t get a flat bed till Wednesday due to the holidays. Guess it sits here with the battery unhooked until then since it wouldn’t turn off power.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picking up the truck tomorrow, apparently a connector was damaged or loose and was full of corrosion. Dealer had one in stock luckily and swapped it out, fixed both the 4wd and transmission issues.

Fuel pump recall was done at the same time along with replacement of the rear parking sensor harness which was shorted to both power and ground.

Close to a 200 mile drive back home from the dealer, hopefully the fuel pump recall was done correctly.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m just glad it happened in my driveway and not when I was 30+ miles from town on remote bush roads the day before where I was the only person in the area.

I do keep satellite communication with me, but trying to give directions to a remote lake via text is never fun. And a tow truck would never venture that far off the main roads even with how little snow there is.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An inline connector along the passenger side frame rail was comprised allowing water to enter. Had several corroded pins inside causing both the 4wd and transmission errors/lost coms.

Dealer replaced the connector and fixed the damaged wires. Issue has been resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread