5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious question. For those buying new, are you waiting for a leak or just going ahead and caulking everything?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2019 has never had any issues with water leaks. As a side node it is parked in a garage while at my house so it doesn’t sit out in the sun and rain all day.
That seemed to make a difference on our 2020. It was parked in the garage for the first two and a half years. I noticed the window surround was cracked within six months of buying the truck, but there was no indication of it leaking. Fast forward a couple years, and we started parking it outside. I would check for leaks after each heavy rainfall, and noticed it was leaking within a couple months. It may have leaked before that but because it didn't see nearly as much weather it wasn't noticeable if it was leaking.

stevieb92

Reaction score
The only thing I immediately did was replace the 3rd brake light foam gasket with a thicker, rubber gasket. I've had no issues since and have had this truck almost a year now. Weekly washes and Florida rain showers, no issues (yet).
Would you share the part number of this gasket? Or a link to where you picked it up?

Machinetools1

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on where the drain tubes are for the Ram with a panoramic sunroof. Just want to make sure they are clean and free of debris.

jkm312

Reaction score
After some thought and a discussion with the body shop I have used for years when I need one, I did seal the top of my rear window with some flowable caulk. The truck was out of the 3 year warranty when I did it. Then shortly after, I saw where the warranty was extended for this problem for some of the earlier truck builds. Still the extra step gave me some peace of mind and it stopped some wind noise I could not pin point. That fact reinforced the choice I made.

What I do think is that because we have 4 coil springs, the frame flexes a little more than a truck with leaf springs on the back. Depending on how and where you use your truck that flex may contribute to some of the leaking problem with the rear window. My brake light did leak, which was replaced under warranty.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I just bought my '23 new Big Horn two months ago. After having read all those posts regarding leaking third brake light and rear window, I started paying attention to that area and underneath the rear seats. Given the fact that my truck had been sitting outdoor on dealership's lot for over a year and had no sign of leaking, I would assume for now my truck is safe. I did think about doing preventative sealing on the third brake light and the rear window, but I finally decided to leave the factory original seals alone. I haven't taken the truck to back country yet, but I do suspect offroad driving may contribute to some of the cracked rear window frames. Maybe some people didn't do enough break in period to let everything settle? I usually don't drive my truck on logging road like driving on highway like some do.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought my '23 new Big Horn two months ago. After having read all those posts regarding leaking third brake light and rear window, I started paying attention to that area and underneath the rear seats. Given the fact that my truck had been sitting outdoor on dealership's lot for over a year and had no sign of leaking, I would assume for now my truck is safe. I did think about doing preventative sealing on the third brake light and the rear window, but I finally decided to leave the factory original seals alone. I haven't taken the truck to back country yet, but I do suspect offroad driving may contribute to some of the cracked rear window frames. Maybe some people didn't do enough break in period to let everything settle? I usually don't drive my truck on logging road like driving on highway like some do.
Off-roading isn't the reason for the cracks. We've never taken our Limited off road in the four years we've had it, not even gravel roads, and the rear window developed cracks on both sides of the slider by the time the truck was six months old. I'm not saying off-roading won't make it worse. But it's cracking even when driving is done mainly on the highway. It's a design/materials issue, which is why they extended the warranty.

cerbo

Reaction score
sealed my new truck up , window, light,fin.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
Off-roading isn't the reason for the cracks. We've never taken our Limited off road in the four years we've had it, not even gravel roads, and the rear window developed cracks on both sides of the slider by the time the truck was six months old. I'm not saying off-roading won't make it worse. But it's cracking even when driving is done mainly on the highway. It's a design/materials issue, which is why they extended the warranty.
Oh good to know. Thanks!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only thing I do as far as preventative is I put a thicker, rubber gasket on my 3rd brake light. Did that on my 2019, 2021 (which did eventually develop the rear window frame crack) and on my current 2023. No issues so far on my 2023 and have had it right at a year.

brental1

Reaction score
Only thing I do as far as preventative is I put a thicker, rubber gasket on my 3rd brake light. Did that on my 2019, 2021 (which did eventually develop the rear window frame crack) and on my current 2023. No issues so far on my 2023 and have had it right at a year.
Can you buy the gasket, or did you make it? If made, from what stock?

Thanks,

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread