5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious question. For those buying new, are you waiting for a leak or just going ahead and caulking everything?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Even my wife agrees, the Ram Trucks are the best riding trucks we tested, and at the top of the truck list, but these leaks seem to be more trouble than its worth.
Are people not aware of the issue, or aware and feel it won't happen to them?

Is anyone buying a Ram truck and adding silicone to the antenna fin, 3rd break light and rear window or just waiting to see if a leak happens?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the issue is to know your possible issues and be prepared to address them based on other's fixes when/if they do occur. I was hopeful that I wouldn't have any of the issues, but I now know what to look for and how to fix them if they occur. So, when I saw a small run of water down the rear corner of the window, I knew I had to address it with the Permatex flowable caulk as that repair is just as good as the dealer's window replacement that will leak again.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe sealing a seal that is not leaking is beyond preventive maintenance and is just fixing a problem that does not exist and may never exist.

The nature of internet forum posts leads people to post about problems they experience. Then that post acts like a magnet to attract those who have also experienced a similar problem even though the total number is still very low. However, since people don't typically create a new posts just to say things like "Hey, 60,000 miles with no problems", this leads to a distorted view of the frequency of a problem.

If I had read this forum before buying my truck I would currently be driving a GMC Denali. Although, at 10,000 miles I've already had to have my steering wheel replaced due to stitching unraveling. That 1 trip to the dealer is equal to the number of trips to the dealer that were required for my last 3 Rams combined, so maybe I should have read this forum first.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I believe sealing a seal that is not leaking is beyond preventive maintenance and is just fixing a problem that does not exist and may never exist.

The nature of internet forum posts leads people to post about problems they experience. Then that post acts like a magnet to attract those who have also experienced a similar problem even though the total number is still very low. However, since people don't typically create a new posts just to say things like "Hey, 60,000 miles with no problems", this leads to a distorted view of the frequency of a problem.

If I had read this forum before buying my truck I would currently be driving a GMC Denali. Although, at 10,000 miles I've already had to have my steering wheel replaced due to stitching unraveling. That 1 trip to the dealer is equal to the number of trips to the dealer that were required for my last 3 Rams combined, so maybe I should have read this forum first.

Well said.
I am guilty of taking many of these issues as common in all vehicles, but how can the windows with a cracked frame be sporadic when it seems to occur in the same place over multiple years.
To me that implies an issue should exist in most, not few trucks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said.
I am guilty of taking many of these issues as common in all vehicles, but how can the windows with a cracked frame be sporadic when it seems to occur in the same place over multiple years.
To me that implies an issue should exist in most, not few trucks.
I did not have either leak, but put a thicker gasket on my third brake light and the Permatex flow able silicone above my rear window.

Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to be proactive. I'd rather spend a few bucks out of pocket then go back and forth to the dealer with warranty repairs...

I did the same on my 2016 F150, which was pretty well known to have gaps in the sunroof weatherstripping (you could see water pouring in), which was no issue unless the drain clogs. A drop of caulk on each side and no more water...

I can tell most here aren't boaters. 150k boat and when the camper canvas is up, water will get into the ****pit...a bit of caulk in the right places and the problem is solved. Reading these threads though, you have to wonder if some guys just enjoy going to the dealership!

If my truck has than many issues, I'll just get rid of it...

Last edited:

akaTheDude

Reaction score
Absolutely NOT. I paid a ton of money for this new truck. If it leaks...off to the dealer for repair. However I am not worrying about it leaking, if it does thats what warranty is for.

Also, is this leaking issue that common? I know everyone talks about it, but I cant see a major OEM to have an issue this "common". Seems like 2019s had an issue but in 2024 surely that issue has been resolved? Or I am all wet :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

This.

I'm subscribing to the "keep an eye on it" method and will address the leaks if they do occur.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
However, since people don't typically create a new posts just to say things like "Hey, 60,000 miles with no problems", this leads to a distorted view of the frequency of a problem.
This is so true! Sooo true!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm currently at 46,000 miles & have not had any leaks.
Sounds like yours might hold up.

My original let go at 21k miles, replacement cracked at 62k miles, applied rtv to the drivers side corner.
Right side corner cracked at 70k, rtv`d the whole top and down the sides.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a camper that goes over the cab to reduce the amount of water that goes down the back window.
so far works pretty well for me lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even my wife agrees, the Ram Trucks are the best riding trucks we tested, and at the top of the truck list, but these leaks seem to be more trouble than its worth.
Are people not aware of the issue, or aware and feel it won't happen to them?

Is anyone buying a Ram truck and adding silicone to the antenna fin, 3rd break light and rear window or just waiting to see if a leak happens?
It's not as widespread of an issue as I teener groups would lead you to believe. I've had my 2020 for three and a half years and no leaks. It is kept in a garage, which is heated in winter. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I did just develope a manifold leak

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
They fixed a lot of the issues by now. My 2019 had almost every leak. 3rd brake light, rear window frame crack (replaced under warranty), sun roof drains in the front and back. The only one it didn't have is the satellite sharkfin (knock wood).

My advice would be to keep an eye on things and take it to the dealer the first sign of any leak to have it addressed. This saved me big time with my rear window. I brought it to them under warranty for a leak. It turned out to be the sunroof drains. Well at 40k the window cracked and the dealer was able to get it covered under warranty because I had brought it in when it was still under the factory bumper-to-bumper plan.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They fixed a lot of the issues by now. My 2019 had almost every leak. 3rd brake light, rear window frame crack (replaced under warranty), sun roof drains in the front and back. The only one it didn't have is the satellite sharkfin (knock wood).

My advice would be to keep an eye on things and take it to the dealer the first sign of any leak to have it addressed. This saved me big time with my rear window. I brought it to them under warranty for a leak. It turned out to be the sunroof drains. Well at 40k the window cracked and the dealer was able to get it covered under warranty because I had brought it in when it was still under the factory bumper-to-bumper plan.
Were your sunroof drains clogged or did they fall off?

Some F150s had an issue with the pressure fit drain tubes falling off the sunroof frame.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Were your sunroof drains clogged or did they fall off?

Some F150s had an issue with the pressure fit drain tubes falling off the sunroof frame.

I'm not sure to be honest. Dealer took care of it. I tried and tried to find the leak but couldn't. When I got it back they just said "yeah it was your sunroof drains" and I didn't think much of it.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I immediately did was replace the 3rd brake light foam gasket with a thicker, rubber gasket. I've had no issues since and have had this truck almost a year now. Weekly washes and Florida rain showers, no issues (yet).

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 has never had any issues with water leaks. As a side node it is parked in a garage while at my house so it doesn’t sit out in the sun and rain all day.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Although rare it does happen. My friend bought a used 2020 and it's leaking 3 months after buying it. It's a common problem, which doesn't mean it will happen to everyone.
If you are checking you should be able to find the problem before things break, but if they do expect to she'll out money and be stuck with a dead truck waiting for parts.
I am not sealing mine but I know when it goes I will need to use our second truck that doesn't allow water to get inside and fry modules required to start it while I order parts and repair myself. I would be more worried about the window, and brake light vs the shark fin.

Users who are viewing this thread