5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send me pix of your rack!

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Not a heck of a lot of threads pertaining to roof racks. I already have some cross bars over my bed that are super useful for various loads, including bikes and fishing poles.
x6bzDDu.jpg

I'm debating what I can put on the roof. I'm mostly looking to carry things like kayaks, but I don't want to go full length. I'd prefer something low-profile or removable. Even if it is a permanent-install unit, I'd probably make myself some plates/pads that fully cover the holes.

Right now, I'm debating between:
Yakima Baseline/Clip:
y06135_2018~ram~1500_6_1000.jpg

Rhino Backbone:
RAM-Rebel-1500-4dr-RR5B1-00.jpg

and Prinsu
Bravo-Ram-1500-Roof-Rack-2009-2018-Overland-Roof-Rack-upTOP-Overland-5_c9a4584b-3562-435d-afac-2e8b53f6e13a_740x.jpg

As of right now, the Yakima is the most removable, but I'm worried it's going to eventually scratch the paint or mess up the weather stripping in the doors. The Prinsu is the most low-profile, but if I want to remove it, it's one complete piece. I'm leaning towards the backbone. There's also the option of permanently installing the Yakima baseline pads, but if I'm going to go through all the work of drilling through my roof, I'm thinking I want something nicer than just crossbars.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
roof racks on our trucks require drilling into the cab.
unless you're comfortable with that (it's a path of no return) and trust whoever does the install will seal the mounting holes 100%, I wouldn't recommend it.

sure there are "clip on" types but i wouldn't trust the ability for those to be securely mounted.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't mind the garbage parking, I was the only one there at the time and was just dropping off.

No roof rack, but thought I'd share my bed rack as well, not many of those either. It is a Yakima BedRock mount system for the crossbars. Attached to that I have a Yakima Kayak rack and a couple of bike racks. I also have a UWS low profile aluminum tool box.

Bed Rack.jpg

Humer91

Reaction score
Rhino Rack Backbone and pioneer platform after I just installed it with the help of some friends. truckroof.jpg

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I have a generic bed rackni bought off Amazon.

The rack had to be drilled into the side rails of the bed, so it cant be adjusted like racks that goninto a track system, but i have been pretty happy with it.

The rack cost $300 on Amazon. I received it within a week. 2 weeks later, ups alerted me I had a shipment coming, and I received a 2nd of the racks. A week later ups again informed me I had a shipment coming, and I received a 3rd rack. I only paid for the initial rack, and ended up returning 1 of the extras so ended up paying nothing for the 2 racks.....
20230227_154702.jpg 20230227_154711.jpg

davidn0021

Reaction score
Seriously considering this as it would be great to bring our bikes with us on trips! Wish they had a good system that would work with tonneaus as well. I know the Yakima system can work with the Retrax. I may need to engineer my own solution to work with my existing tonneau.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously considering this as it would be great to bring our bikes with us on trips! Wish they had a good system that would work with tonneaus as well. I know the Yakima system can work with the Retrax. I may need to engineer my own solution to work with my existing tonneau.
Check out Syneticusa. I love mine. I almost went with Billiebars, but I was ready to get rid of the vinyl rollup.
20230217_150042.jpg

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Don't mind the garbage parking, I was the only one there at the time and was just dropping off.

No roof rack, but thought I'd share my bed rack as well, not many of those either. It is a Yakima BedRock mount system for the crossbars. Attached to that I have a Yakima Kayak rack and a couple of bike racks. I also have a UWS low profile aluminum tool box.

View attachment 153011
Could you show a picture with the kayaks on it? I wasn't sure if my bed would be long enough to support the Kayaks properly.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could you show a picture with the kayaks on it? I wasn't sure if my bed would be long enough to support the Kayaks properly.

I don't have a picture of it, but it's only a 10 foot kayak for RC boat recovery. It's borderline a pool toy, but this particular small kayak has the right shape to support it properly.

If you have a larger kayak, it probably wouldn't work on this size of bed.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My diy ladder rack, stuff clears the cab. Not a fan of drilling through the actual roof so sticking to what can be mounted to the bed.
ladder rack.jpg

DIY RTT rack. RTT rack.jpg

Last edited:

RJ-Golem

Reaction score
I'm sort of in the same boat you are in. I already have the Xtrusion Overland Bed rack. Completely awesome by the way, super versatile and customizable. But I want to add a roof rack to the truck for the gear I don't really need all that often, but I want with me. I just had a couple of cross bars and a Room box on my Gladiator. That doesn't seem to be an option with the Rebel. IMG_20221211_192513.jpg

vinnieloo

Reaction score
ADARAC Pro. 4 kayaks. Two 10 footers, a 12 and a 13 ft. Posts are adjustable front/back. I also remove mine when i don't need it. Fill forward stake pockets with Bullrings and rear stake pockets with the plastic covers off amazon. Also works with tri fold tonneau.
20210528_092142.jpg 20210528_092117.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread