5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selling new original tires to tire dealer. How much???

mophead

Reaction score
Would like to "trade in" original equipment Bridgestone HL 275-55-20's ( sell new about $180) for a set of Defenders. I expect to go right from dealer to tire shop, so maybe 50 miles on them. What's a reasonable expectation price wise?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would try to get $400-$450 for the set on Facebook Marketplace or other local sites as shipping isn't something you really want to do with tires. I sold my crappy Goodyears that came OEM on mine for $400 and got a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and love them!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience has been you might get between $80 and $100 per tire trade value at the dealer (Discount Tire or NTB) but may be able to sell them for $500 on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. That is what we got for the same tires off our Laramie. As for our Lone Star, those Nokian tires are damned near worthless as $300 was the most offered at Discount Tire and I ended up selling them on Craigslist for $350. And yes, I always replaced them with Defenders - best tire on the market for traction, quiet ride, smooth ride and longevity.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say about $400-450 as well. I did this a few times and that's about what I got.

I already have my new tires ready to be put on as soon as the truck comes in and I'll be selling the default tires for around that amount.

Last edited:

mophead

Reaction score
This is why this forum is so good. Didn't even occur to me to sell on Marketplace, where I just sold a bunch of fishing tackle. Old brain farting on me. However I think I'd prefer to keep it clandestine at the dealer. Coming home with four tires in the bed wouldn't be a good idea> other half would be bringing it up into eternity. Of course if I got a tonneau you wouldn't be able to see them. Damn you guys are good!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why this forum is so good. Didn't even occur to me to sell on Marketplace, where I just sold a bunch of fishing tackle. Old brain farting on me. However I think I'd prefer to keep it clandestine at the dealer. Coming home with four tires in the bed wouldn't be a good idea> other half would be bringing it up into eternity. Of course if I got a tonneau you wouldn't be able to see them. Damn you guys are good!
An option would be to advertise on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist with the requirement they meet you at the tire shop to take possession when you are having them swapped out. This way you get paid at that point and the buyer may opt to have them installed there at the same shop that you're having them dismounted.

mophead

Reaction score
Did you guys stay with the 275/55R20 113T or go the LT load range E route? I won't be towing or hauling heavy loads so I'm thinking staying with the lighter tire for less unsprung weight.

Had Defenders on my 2500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm more than sold on them. They transformed both those vehicles

Last edited:

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you guys stay with the 275/55R20 113T or go the LT load range E route? I won't be towing or hauling heavy loads so I'm thinking staying with the lighter tire for less sprung weight.

Had Defenders on my 2500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm more than sold on them. They transformed both those vehicles

I have the Defenders on my '17 GC that my wife will be taking over when I get the truck. These are what I have waiting for me to swap out - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s/p/11823

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the exact same Defender at Discount Tire...and they matched Costco’s price. Excellent tire and great service!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I "traded in" my OEM tires (Falken Wildpeak AT/3WA) with about 2K on them and got $300 off my new tires.

They are about $225/tire new and I got $75/tire as a trade-in.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sold my Bridgestone duellers with 500 miles on them for $500 on Craigslist in one day.

the dealer would only give me $200, same as discount tire

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you guys stay with the 275/55R20 113T or go the LT load range E route? I won't be towing or hauling heavy loads so I'm thinking staying with the lighter tire for less unsprung weight.

I went to 275/60/20 SL rated tire. It’s only an 1” bigger tire but man it looks so much better on our trucks. The 32” stock size is too small

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sold my Bridgestone duellers with 500 miles on them for $500 on Craigslist in one day.

the dealer would only give me $200, same as discount tire
I could have put them on Craigslist and gotten more but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of storing them and meeting people that "might" buy the tires. They could have sold in a day but it could have also taken a year to sell them.

It was worth it to me to take the "loss" and get the instant credit on the new tires and not have to deal with the old ones.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sold mine (same tires as you) with almost 4,000 miles on them for $400 on CL.
List them at $475 and take $400.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
Definitely post on craigslist/market place if you want more money out of them. I posted my stock duratracs with 1000miles on them for $650 and had 12 people interested within 24 hours. Sold them same day at asking price, and wish I would have posted a higher selling price. Maybe a more desirable tire in my area and they are about $280 a piece new, but you will get a lot more than trading them in to a shop who will then turn around and make that profit.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Bridgestone's that come on our Rams are actually very nice, well built, balanced, quiet tires.
They just look too much like a highway tire to me.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sold my Goodyear Wrangler Adventures with 10,000 miles on them for $300 total on FB Marketplace. There are always folks willing to buy used tires in decent shape and you can get a lot of bang for your buck on that site if you’re willing to be patient.
Same with my original Bighorn chrome wheels... sold for $600 on FB marketplace with 8000 miles on them.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Bridgestone's that come on our Rams are actually very nice, well built, balanced, quiet tires.
They just look too much like a highway tire to me.
Never been a fan of Goodyear or Bridgestone tires. Most all OEM tires are not normal designs and the auto manufacturers, typically, have minor changes made to the design/construction to accommodate their needs and lower costs. I always remove all OEM tires as my experience has been they are far crappier than what I can purchase and I look for excellent dry and wet traction regardless of what I buy.

If someone is looking for an excellent highway type tire, there is no better choice than the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. For an aggressive tire, I would stick with Nitto Ridge Grapplers (Terra Graplers G2's are an outdated design and don't perform well at all based on the other choices on the market), TOYO AT3, Falken Wildpeak or BFG KO2.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@securityguy.. totally agree with the OEM tire concept **with the exception of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, that come as OEM on the Rebels. I‘ve had a set of these for over a month now and they are beyond awesome In every road condition I’ve encountered. Also nice and quiet, super aggressive looking and have barely made a dent in MPGs. Now, as far as wear rate.. we shall see.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I've read that OEM car manufacturers get the best, most balanced tires from the tire manufacturers.
Basically they get the most balanced tires which already have the high/low spot marked. The car manufacturers rims also have the high/low spots marked and they match up the tires and rims to provide that absolute vibration free, new car ride you typically get in a new car.
Aftermarket tire shops get 2nd choice and so on. That's why issues with vibrations usually crop up after you mess with the original OEM tire mount/balance.
Also, most people think vibrations are strictly a balance issue with the lead weights, but you can have a perfectly balanced wheel/tire assembly that vibrates due to road force issues between tire and wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread