5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self Applied Ceramic Coating Reviews

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think for the time being I’m going to leave the meguiars hybrid ceramic wax on my truck. In the mean time I’ll be getting a polisher and gathering materials like compound and polish and possibly the Adams ceramic kit and slowly do the truck one section at a time. I looked at the paint today and there are definitely some swirls to be corrected.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I love beadmaker! Only lasts 2-3 months but it's so cheap is what makes it a great value.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add me as a fan of Gtechniq CSL. One benefit I noticed immediately was how slick the paint felt after applying it. Great hydrophobic properties. As others have mentioned application is easy enough, but prep work was the most time consuming. I was foolish to let the dealer wash mine before taking delivery and got their special swirl n' scratch package. I was astonished to see how bad the paint condition was (Black Diamond Pearl). Spent probably 8-10 hours polishing out the scratches with a DA polisher before applying the CSL. Overall I'm pleased with the results.
When you applied the CSL to your RAM did you use a 30mL or 50mL kit? Im planning to do this over labor day weekend and am curious which size to get.

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
I have used the GTechniq ceramic coatings before. I used it on my Challenger last year. It's really all about the prep work. I started with washing the vehicle with dawn and then clay baring the entire thing. After that I did a two stage polish using a Rupes DA Polisher with Rupes Polish. I then cleaned the entire car using Gtechniqs Panel wipe but you can use 50/50 rubbing alcohol solution. The I applied the Crystal Serum Light and then the EXO V3. It is pretty straight forward when it comes to application. If you have ever had waxed a car you can do it. You just need to break the car into 2'X2' sections. I was told not to waste money on fancy applicators. Go to the grocery store or CVS and buy the disposable makeup pads. I used each pad twice. So 4 drops or so, apply, and then repeat. After that I threw it away and used a new one. I also bought a large pack of microfiber towels on amazon. The cheap ones from the parts store are horrible. Too much lint. just follow the instructional videos on their we page. The car looks amazing and is ultra hydrophobic. Worth every penny to me. I plan on doing my Ram when it cools off a bit. Hope this helps a bit.

Just ordered the GTechnic Crystal Serum lite/EXO 4 kit. What kind of pad did you use on your DA and which towels from Amazon? Was looking at The Rag Company "The Pearl Professional" rags on amazon but reviews say they leave alot of lint. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered the GTechnic Crystal Serum lite/EXO 4 kit. What kind of pad did you use on your DA and which towels from Amazon? Was looking at The Rag Company "The Pearl Professional" rags on amazon but reviews say they leave alot of lint. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I used the orange and black pads from Griots garage and the yellow kirkland brand microfiber towels. Turned out fantastic.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started with a decontaminate wash, then used the speed clay by Mothers, then IronX. Followed by compounding and buffing using the orange and black griots garage pads. Then applied the CSL and two coats of EXO. Overall it took about 2 days (20 hours total). I just barely had enough CSL and EXO from the 30mL bottle size.
1568921228316.png

Kxlexus

Reaction score
It’s all about the prep work. That goes for any type of wax or coating. My neighbor can’t get over how my vehicles shine but he buys a bottle of the newest miracle shine product, spends 30 minutes once a year on it and is disappointed every time. The key is in getting the shine by polishing to a mirror before putting anything on top

Standrk

Reaction score
I used the Rupes polishing pads that were color coded to my rupes polish. Just makes it easier for me. I can't recall which towels I bought. They were blue and relatively cheap with no fuzz. I will have to look back at my purchase history on Amazon.

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
I used the Rupes polishing pads that were color coded to my rupes polish. Just makes it easier for me. I can't recall which towels I bought. They were blue and relatively cheap with no fuzz. I will have to look back at my purchase history on Amazon.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread