5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scuff Marks on Black Trim

Dave07

Reaction score
Somehow a scuff mark got on my black interior trim right above the glove box. Not sure how it got there, I think from the wife’s purse or the babies diaper bag. Anyway I tried scrubbing it off with a baby wipe to no avail.

Anyone have experience removing these types of scuffs? It’s very noticeable.
a1cb6a93b628bdc29043ebcbb1d6e7a1.jpg
65c735128956bb5ecee07b8ad3199f56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Above is a good answer. You can also make sure it's truly a scuff. Many times I assume it was a plastic scuff, turned out to be dirt. You can also use some plastic interior dressing, mat finish and it will help it blend it better.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try a nice soft microfiber and some interior detail spray.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Mr clean magic eraser (gently) and diluted all purpose cleaner or Einzett Interior cleaner. Will remove if its on the surface and minimize if its truly a scuff. It looks like its on the surface from that pic. Please for peats sake dont use a heat gun.

Dave07

Reaction score
Sooo I tried the magic eraser but only dipped in water, that did nothing. Went and got a microfiber towel and hit it with an APC, that didn’t work. I ended up putting a dressing on it which hides it well but you can still see it.

I might go crazy here and hit it with the heat gun. I found the replacement part online and it’s $90, worse case scenario is I have to buy a new part!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sooo I tried the magic eraser but only dipped in water, that did nothing. Went and got a microfiber towel and hit it with an APC, that didn’t work. I ended up putting a dressing on it which hides it well but you can still see it.

I might go crazy here and hit it with the heat gun. I found the replacement part online and it’s $90, worse case scenario is I have to buy a new part!

If you decide to buy the new part, don't install it right away. Hold on to it, just having it will make you feel better because you know it's an easy attainable fix. Keep the old one on for a little while longer, sounds like you may get a few more scratches there just by normal use. Once it gets bad enough, then replace it.

Dave07

Reaction score
If you decide to buy the new part, don't install it right away. Hold on to it, just having it will make you feel better because you know it's an easy attainable fix. Keep the old one on for a little while longer, sounds like you may get a few more scratches there just by normal use. Once it gets bad enough, then replace it.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. The other thing I was thinking of doing is wrapping it in carbon fiber or just straight up spray painting it. I got to think about it some more.

It’s just going to bug me every time I get in the damn truck.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. The other thing I was thinking of doing is wrapping it in carbon fiber or just straight up spray painting it. I got to think about it some more.

Before you go out and buy the replacement part, also try to mix 50/50 baking soda and water and try to rub it out. It has worked on previous plastic scuff marks for me and it may work for you.

dsn112

Reaction score
I use this on scuffs and it works pretty well.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I'm just like you, I find a defect and it bothers me to no end, I think about and how I should fix it. But then something else gets my attention and I ended thinking less about it.

I think a good cleaning and light matted dressing will help make it a lot less noticeable. Also, you can buy that part anytime, see how you feel in a few days. You may decide its no longer a big enough deal to require replacement or that you can't live with it and you have to fix it.

Trust me, it's a big giant truck with a lot of real estate inside and out to mess up and upset you. But I've learned a lesson through the many years of buying vehicles and trying my best to keep them perfect. That what I'm doing is actually keeping them in perfect shape for the next owner (since I keep them just a few years). I should just enjoy them while I have them.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heat gun or hairdryer. Be careful not to melt it. Show even heat. Check YouTube for vids. Works like a charm

This OP - option 2 if you haven't tried it already is a stiff bristle brush and a gentle soap (IE Dove bar soap)

The issue with textured surfaces is even a magic eraser or terry towel will not hit the micro crevices in the pattern of the surface.

I can commiserate with you; passenger-side dirt/scraches/scuffs are the bane of my existence in any car i've owned

Dave07

Reaction score
I’m going to try the heat gun and baking soda/water. I’m not going to buy any more products to try lol. I’ll put that money towards the new part!

Sad part is that all this took place on vacation and I’m here until Saturday, of course I have a plethora of detailing products at home (good products as well). I will try those when I get home.

The heat gun looks the most promising!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I'm interested in the part number for this. Can you advise...? :)

My wife keeps putting her shoes against it and is ruining the finish on my new truck!

Dave07

Reaction score
I'm interested in the part number for this. Can you advise...? :)

My wife keeps putting her shoes against it and is ruining the finish on my new truck!

d7362c1aac52c8e16224320c64e4e2d8.jpg

It’s the number after PN, I popped the panel off and snapped this picture as there are several different color variations for this part!

But the Part Number is: 5YN89TX7AC

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I think I need to start building a list of items to replace. :D

R

Rob5589

My wife and daughter always have to cross their legs for some reason and bam, dash scuffs. None yet on the new ride (knocks on wood). A common "fix" with Jeep flares that were scuffed or faded was a heat gun believe it or not. It did work well, just do not heat the surface too much. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread