5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen went black

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
H
Has anyone found a solution?
I started to experience the same issue. I went to start my RAM and the screen did not power on. The buttons for the a/c and heater light up on the sides, but nothing on the screen.

I attempted a soft reset where the power and tune buttons are pressed and held down but i got nothing. Also tried disconnecting my battery and still nothing. I noticed my compass on my cluster also isnt working not sure if its related to this. What a bummer to be going through all this.
Hello RedlineRebel,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM, our team would like to dig further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Had the blank screen again this morning. Tried the update procedure in the previous thread from Ramguy but couldn't get it to work. Uconnect site says my software id up to date but I still have the old. 34.31.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had the blank screen again this morning. Tried the update procedure in the previous thread from Ramguy but couldn't get it to work. Uconnect site says my software id up to date but I still have the old. 34.31.
Ronkartz72,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. Please send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to look further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I was finally able to update my Uconnect this afternoon. Somehoe it finally picked up the USB I had the update on. Will see how it goes.
I am still waiting on the Cajun update so the Navigation understands what I am saying.

Daneger385

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solid solution to this issue? My 2021 Ram 3500 HO 6.7L started doing the same thing today. First it said the key fob was not detected in truck while it was sitting on the steering wheel. A few minutes later the screen went black with the side buttons lit up(Defrost). It took a few minutes for it to come back on. Any new fixes to try?

Attachments

• Key Fob issue.jpg
    Key Fob issue.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 9

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I have the issue too now. I will try some of the things mentioned here in the topic. It's so annoying as I can't use my cameras etc now

Update: Luckily, when I got back in my truck a few hours later, the display worked again.

Last edited:

mongoosesigns05

Reaction score
Mine has done this a few time also, in the past disconnecting the battery or restarting the infotainment system has worked. Not today though.

reman

Reaction score
Thank you every one trying to help. The software update didn't help. The dealer will be replacing the radio unit (warranty). They stated that there is an internal short. I don't know how true that is, but I am not going to argue with them.

nqand

Reaction score
My Google doc is for 19-21 systems you have a 22
Hey. Thanks for the document you shared.

I have 2021 RAM 1500, came originaly with 8.4 with NAV. Brain/module came with truck part# 68472364AI.

I purchased a 12 inch screen part# 68420967AC (8 pins black input). Original screen 8.4 has a gray 8 pins input and gray 8 pins plug. There was another black 8 pins plug exist but not used which I did repin according to your document.

I did change the configuration (ICS deactivated DCSD active) using Alfa

The issue is the screen never worked (blank) waited 3 days but nothing. I do have blinkers working, Audio working and AC/heater cintrols working.

Note: I did plug the 12 inch screen before repin

Things done so far trying to solve the issue:
1- Disconnected the battery for 8 hours.
2- I rechecked the settings using Alfa and confirmed the changes saved as you described in the document
3- checked fuses all ok
3- re-checked the 8 oins plug wiring order and verified there is ground an power

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Metelkoff

Reaction score
For the last week, the screen has been turned off and on every day. I turned off the last time and haven't turned on for three days, I don't know what to do now.
За последнюю неделю экран выключался и включался каждый день. В прошлый раз я выключил и не включал три дня, я не знаю, что теперь делать. IMG_2947.jpeg

nqand

Reaction score

I have 2021 RAM 1500, came originaly with 8.4 with NAV. Brain/module came with truck part# 68472364AI.

I purchased a 12 inch screen part# 68420967AC (8 pins black input). Original screen 8.4 has a gray 8 pins input and gray 8 pins plug. There was another black 8 pins plug exist but not used which I did repin according to your document.

The issue is the screen never worked (blank) waited 3 days but nothing. I do have blinkers working, Audio working and AC/heater cintrols working.

2- I rechecked the settings using Alfa and confirmed the changes saved as you described in the document
3- checked fuses all ok
3- re-checked the 8 oins plug wiring order and verified there is ground an power

Any thoughts?
Than

3- checked fuses all ok

Any thoughts?
Thanks
@Jimmy07 any thoughts on this issue? I ordered new center stack but still blank

jim@villageab

Reaction score
For the last week, the screen has been turned off and on every day. I turned off the last time and haven't turned on for three days, I don't know what to do now.
За последнюю неделю экран выключался и включался каждый день. В прошлый раз я выключил и не включал три дня, я не знаю, что теперь делать. View attachment 172880

jim@villageab

Reaction score
BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH today on my 12 inch uconnect screen

2019 Ram 1500 Crew Laramie Sport has 55k exactly 4 years old and is the first problem i'v had on the best truck ever

tried the battery disconnect trick
tried the volume button soft reset trick
i will try my shop link to ASTECH to see if they can look inside but they are usually not good on Ram
i do have the nice Mopar extended warranty to 70k
its christmas week and the local dealer seems closed and overbooked until Jan 7th

will keep you posted

continuing research..............

Attachments

• 20231223_065717.jpg
    20231223_065717.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 9

jim@villageab

Reaction score
Solution found !
I mentioned above that the truck just hit its 4th birthday and still had its original battery
We tested load and turns out the battery was shot!
The uconnect 12 inch black screen of death was caused by low battery voltage
Installed a brand new mopar battery = problem solved !
Hope this helps.

Mfernan244

Reaction score
Solution found !
I mentioned above that the truck just hit its 4th birthday and still had its original battery
We tested load and turns out the battery was shot!
The uconnect 12 inch black screen of death was caused by low battery voltage
Installed a brand new mopar battery = problem solved !
Hope this helps.
How long did it take the uconnect to turn on after installing the new battery?

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Guess it's my turn with the black screen of death.
Started yesterday. Hope it's temporary.
Disconnected/reconnected the battery this morning to get it going for my drive to work. Wasn't enough time for everything to reload properly though.
Will load test it when I get home if the issue continues.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Guess it's my turn with the black screen of death.
Started yesterday. Hope it's temporary.
Disconnected/reconnected the battery this morning to get it going for my drive to work. Wasn't enough time for everything to reload properly though.
Will load test it when I get home if the issue continues.
Update:
Black screen after work and all the way home.
Got home, shut the truck off and went inside not happy.
Went back out a little later, sat inside, set the ignition to RUN without truck running, system did not load, held down the two buttons about 10 seconds, heard a beep, released the buttons, and the system loaded normally with all features.
Awesome!
But what's not awesome, is now I'm worried it can possibly happen again at any time.
Booted up normally this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread