5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen projection

BZ23

Reaction score
I was having major issues trying to figure this out today. There is not much information online either. Does anyone have information on how to utilize the screen projection app. I've connected my phone and it shows my phone when I select the option on the screen projection but it does nothing more. I'm using a standard micro USB-c cable do I need something else? And what actually does this offer. Any help would be appreciated

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was having major issues trying to figure this out today. There is not much information online either. Does anyone have information on how to utilize the screen projection app. I've connected my phone and it shows my phone when I select the option on the screen projection but it does nothing more. I'm using a standard micro USB-c cable do I need something else? And what actually does this offer. Any help would be appreciated

well, im certainly subscribed to this thread because I have never heard of it before.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you downloaded the Android Auto app as well? You'll need that to make it function.

BZ23

Reaction score
I did. It glitches my phone out.
I can re add it. But I'm not a fan if it. If I do, what does the projection offer? Can I have my phone project docs, videos or photos in the screen?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I did. It glitches my phone out.
I can re add it. But I'm not a fan if it. If I do, what does the projection offer? Can I have my phone project docs, videos or photos in the screen?

I'm not too sure to be honest about all the features as I haven't used it myself.

Here's a video of how to use it on the older 8.4, should be the same for the 12 inch.

Twoamen

Reaction score
No videos, android (Google) won't allow it on screen driver can see. I think if it matters most states has a no see law. There is a couple hacks to project to screen but Google is blocking them more recently in Google Play, which pretty much controls all Android software. Now Android play has some options to use that projects specific apps on screen. Google maps, waze, etc. Got to a computer and do a search of Android play compatable apps.
Pretty much makes car screen a mirror of your phone. Has to be hard wired in USB port, won't Bluetooth or wifi,the apps.

GM convert

Reaction score
How do I get my iPhone 10 to project my phone screen on my truck screen. I would like Waze map on my truck screen. Thanks

UltraMadMax

Reaction score
How do I get my iPhone 10 to project my phone screen on my truck screen. I would like Waze map on my truck screen. Thanks
Apple just announced earlier this week that they will be adding multiple map programs including Waze to Apple CarPlay. It comes later this year.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
I'm having issues with android auto as well. I've tried the oem note 8 cable and another better quality cable at&t sells and it keeps giving me connection errors. Anyone have a fix for this .

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
I can get it to charge my phone but I cant get android auto to work. I'm pretty tech saavy so I'm pretty sure its the truck and not me.

Last edited:

slivoman

Reaction score
Strange. I installed Android Auto first on my phone, connected the cable, followed some setup procedure on my phone and it worked and works every time I plug it in. I'm running a Pixel XL and using a type C cable.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
Strange. I installed Android Auto first on my phone, connected the cable, followed some setup procedure on my phone and it worked and works every time I plug it in. I'm running a Pixel XL and using a type C cable.

I have a Note 8 and already had android auto from using it on my previous vehicle but I cant get it to work at all. Starting to become a little frustrating I won't lie.

M

Mdegen93

If it’s Apple CarPlay you have to enable it on your phone also

M

Mdegen93

Gotta plug it in with a lightning cable and enable CarPlay in the settings on your iPhone. Also Siri needs to be enabled

RBRK

Reaction score
CarPlay works fine, I was hoping for a screen projector as in what’s on your screen on you phone is on the 12”

DeanKing

Reaction score
There is no concept of screen mirroring on Apple. They are very controlling in what CarPlay can do. As a poster mentioned IOS 12 will finally allow you to choose your mapping application as long as the vendor of the app provides a CarPlay option. People assume google will for Google maps and Waze. For a long time Apple was trying to use this restriction to get more people to use the sh**** Apple maps. They realized that CarPlay has more value and decided to make that the priority. Smart decision. Btw they are basically going to start over with their mapping data. Thats how bad it was. iOS 12 should come out when the new iPhones do or sooner. New iPhones get announced this week. I assume they will announce date of iOS 12 also. If you really want to get more stuff on the screen look into the Lockpic. It allows another input to the screen. Not sure it is ready for 2019 unconnect yet. Plug an Apple TV into it and then cast from your phone using the vehicle WiFi. Still won’t get maps but you could get video. Doesn’t seem worth it though.

RebelMike

Reaction score

I also use a Pixel XL, and have had no issues connecting or using Android Auto. My wife's Galaxy S7 however, will not connect. It gets an Android Auto device error every time. Someone else posted they had issues with a Note 8. I am wondering if it is a Samsung issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online