5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratches under clear coat

RamLink83

Reaction score
That's a bummer. The one above your door is really noticeable on the photo. That would bother me as well.
Yeah, it bothered me for a little, but to be honest I never look up there anymore, so I don't see it. The photo makes it look worse because I waited for optimal conditions and found the perfect angle to take the photo. If that was down at eye level like on the door, then I would have it fixed.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't automatically blame factory,. Lot of dings caused at dealers, then they either hope you don't notice, or do crappy repairs.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't automatically blame factory,. Lot of dings caused at dealers, then they either hope you don't notice, or do crappy repairs.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Mine was definitely done at the factory, unless someone was really skilled at clearcoat repair, but not paint touch up. My defect is under the clear and the other one some how push out from the inside.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine was definitely done at the factory, unless someone was really skilled at clearcoat repair, but not paint touch up. My defect is under the clear and the other one some how push out from the inside.
Agree. From the looks of it, it looks like debris or a paint "clot" got trapped under it. Pi$$ poor QC.

Scjon03

Reaction score
The other day I was about to live with my paint issue. But around 7pm when the sun is not as bright I walked out to my truck to get something and boom... I can see all the fine little scratches. Very notice when a amber type of light is hitting the side of the truck at a correct angle. Still cant capture it on camera though.

After seeing all of it again I was like this is a 72k truck and this needs to be fixed. BTW I didnt pay that much. I got the truck below MSRP.

Scjon03

Reaction score
My truck has a defect under the clear coat as well. Luckily it's at the very top of my door near the roof line, so I rarely notice it. It's most noticeable in dim light (like in the picture below), but when sunny (like it was during delivery) you don't really see. At first glance it looks like a bad touch up job, but with further inspection you can see it's under the clear. It's perfectly smooth like the rest of the paint. The dealer offered to have it fixed based on the way they see best fit (whatever that really means), but I decided to live with it. Once things get repainted, you may run into a whole new can of worms like mismatched color, over spray, etc.
View attachment 56451
I did recently (5 months after purchase) find a new defect under my passenger side tail light. Looks like something from the inside pushed on the metal and cause the paint to crack. It's about an 1/8th inch so it's very small. I need to take it to the dealer to have them get it on record. Not sure what they will do, but I am more concerned about the future. Will it get worse, rust? For now I think just putting some clear over it should be fine. Don't want to do anything to it until the dealer takes a look.
View attachment 56452
View attachment 56453

You issue above the door will bother the hell out of me... And I do have the same issue that you have under you tail light. But mine is in door sill area. Can see it and feel it but eh... the door covers it up.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Found this gem while waxing the truck this weekend. I don't understand how this gets through QC at the factory.

Yeah that is a definite no in my book.... very noticeable, especially in that location.

RamLink83

Reaction score
You issue above the door will bother the hell out of me... And I do have the same issue that you have under you tail light. But mine is in door sill area. Can see it and feel it but eh... the door covers it up.
It did bother me for a little, but since it's above eye level I never see it unless I go out of my way to look up, which I don't. I was too afraid that the dealer fix would cause some other issue that is way more noticable on the main part of the door. I would assume to do a repaint, they would have to do the entire door plus in front and in back with a blend. No way I was going to let all those body panels that have no issue get resprayed.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Update # 2 or 3. Whatever.

Got a call from the dealer. They took the truck to a body shop. The body shop wet sand color buff, whatever first. And if they cut through the clear coat they’ll have approval to repaint anyways. And it worked. all those small scratches are gone. So guessing the scratches were deep in the clear coat. Very happy. I still have 90 days to repaint if I decide to though. Just got to wait til the right time and lighting conditions later on.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update # 2 or 3. Whatever.

Got a call from the dealer. They took the truck to a body shop. The body shop wet sand color buff, whatever first. And if they cut through the clear coat they’ll have approval to repaint anyways. And it worked. all those small scratches are gone. So guessing the scratches were deep in the clear coat. Very happy. I still have 90 days to repaint if I decide to though. Just got to wait til the right time and lighting conditions later on.
EXCELLENT! always good when you can fix without repainting.

ponypride

Reaction score
I have 2 scratches by the drivers door handle. I just assumed it happened when I washed the truck , but now that I an reading this thread, maybe not. The finish is smooth to the touch. Can only see it in certain lighting situations. Given the truck is a year and a half old, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I have 2 scratches by the drivers door handle. I just assumed it happened when I washed the truck , but now that I an reading this thread, maybe not. The finish is smooth to the touch. Can only see it in certain lighting situations. Given the truck is a year and a half old, I decided to leave well enough alone.

I’m very picky about scratches and defects on a vehicle. I look at everything. The salesman I can tell was getting impatient but said it’s fine and he is the same way. I told him I inspect airplanes for a living. I took around 2 hours inspecting the truck comparing another truck which was exactly the same to the one I got. I didn’t take the other truck because the center console lid stitching was slightly pulled up. It was loose or something. Also the door sill that has “Ram” on it was scratched up on the driver side. The rear seat had wrinkles like if someone slide their *** against it a bunch of times. The passenger door armrest had a scratch mark, looks like someone’s fingernail got it. So the truck I got had problems but less than the other, all cosmetic. Some things other people prob just ignore. Not me though. Don’t want to deal with it. The only thing that got me was how bright it was outside and no way I could have seen the scratch marks or whatever on the bed side.

but it’s fixed and I’m done. It’s better to stop looking for thing to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread