5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratches under clear coat

Scjon03

Reaction score
So purchase a new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. After a long inspection of the truck I took it home. Couple of days later I notice scratches all on the passenger rear side of the truck bed. Now these scratches you couldn't see them in direct sunlight. Even in the shade you couldn't see them. The lighting has to be just right and at the right angle you can see these fine hair line scratches. Make a long story short I took the truck to the dealer and they "buffed" out the scratches. Nope, the detailer told me the scratches couldn't be buffed out and appears to be under the clear coat. So now the service department said this maybe a paint defect and has to be approved by FCA. They try to take pictures but the camera cannot capture the scratches. Now you cant see them at all. But they are there and even the service people saw them and agreed. Bright white paint is great but man it does make it harder to see any scratches in direct sunlight.

***Update***

So after posting this. So FCA has approved the repaint of the truck bed side. WOW I was so surprised!

Just sharing my experience.. Never had this issue before but I guess something happen at the factory to screw up the paint. Looks like someone took a bush and ran it across the paint or something.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sorry but no way would I have a bedside repainted on a newer truck because of scratches that can't be seen without practically putting a microscope on it. To each his own, I'm NOT knocking you, do what you feel will make you happy, but you are taking a big chance here in my opinion....if the color doesn't match dead-on, or there is any kind of blemish, you may be stuck. kind of doubt they would paint twice. And even if they did, would you want them too. Best of luck sir!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
sorry but no way would I have a bedside repainted on a newer truck because of scratches that can't be seen without practically putting a microscope on it. To each his own, I'm NOT knocking you, do what you feel will make you happy, but you are taking a big chance here in my opinion....if the color doesn't match dead-on, or there is any kind of blemish, you may be stuck. kind of doubt they would paint twice. And even if they did, would you want them too. Best of luck sir!
While I see your side, if it were me... Somethings I can’t un-see, so I would have to have them fix it. Not sure how microscopic it is without pics, but I can see both sides of the coin.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would add that there's a certain amount of orange peel in most all production paint nowadays that may not be matched by the repaint. Usually the repaint is smoother, but if you can see hardly perceptible scratches you may be sensitive to the mismatch in finish texture.

Also, depending on who does it, the durability of repainted automotive surfaces can have durability issues.

Whatever your decision, best of luck.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 032525 miles.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Yeah I was told about mismatch and such. They are getting the exact paint from the factory that was use on the trucks, supposedly... Hopefully they are right. But yes I'm taking a big chance in this. The scratches can be seen clearly in the morning easily. But again you won't know it's there unless I point it out. I try thinking about living with it but it's just bothering me. I have til Monday to decide so we ll see.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't mean to hound you, but I look at car paint jobs for a living..(semi-retired insurance appraiser)...there is really no such thing as a guaranteed match, they are getting paint that has been mixed based on a "paint code", which will certainly be close, but many paint colors have what is called "variants", which are slightly different shades of the same color. Also, unless they are planning to blend the new paint into your rear door and cab corner, you will most likely see a difference between the new and old paint. Think hard before you let someone who may or may not be on his game that day in the spray booth....lots of variables...

Scjon03

Reaction score
I still need to ask what shop the dealer is taking the truck to and how they are going to do it. Again I have til Monday to decide. And see if they guarantee the work.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
airbrush or good sticker design on both side will fix the problem without paint (y)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I still need to ask what shop the dealer is taking the truck to and how they are going to do it. Again I have til Monday to decide. And see if they guarantee the work.
Any chance you can post a pic of the damage?

Scjon03

Reaction score
Ok I got these pictures in the morning just right so you can see the scratches perfectly. Keep in mind these are not swirl marks and have been buffed out already. The detailer didn’t want to keep cutting into the clear coat. Buffed and polished.

and that is just the top part. There are more below that. It’s like again someone took bush and rubbed it again the truck and then spray clear coat over it. Of course you can’t feel them.

Attachments

• ADC95FCC-7501-4116-BCA6-DB4D9C285160.jpeg
    ADC95FCC-7501-4116-BCA6-DB4D9C285160.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 5AD4BB94-2B63-4207-AAC2-E8C1D51EE8DC.jpeg
    5AD4BB94-2B63-4207-AAC2-E8C1D51EE8DC.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 76

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those look more like hairline fractures in the clear coat than scratches

79 300

Reaction score
It looks to me like that area was worked on before. It may have been "touched up" at the factory, or by the dealer.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd turn in the truck and ask for a new one with like options. That's just me. Everyone has their own idiosyncrasies. Some people wouldn't even give this issue a thought or worry.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..yup, looks like they had a uh-oh at the dealer lot, then sent it to their body shop for a fix. I worked at a few body shops before I jumped the fence into insurance side, let me tell you, the dealers would bring cars over with small dents and they were the absolute cheapest customers you ever saw...no matter what the issue, they always wanted the quickest, cheapest way to fix problems...not the RIGHT way..everything was mask this, don't blend that, just cover the moldings don't take em off, "can't you just touch it up"?..

Scjon03

Reaction score
Will my truck is at the dealer for the repaint... The shop they took it too has great reviews sooo fingers cross.

RamLink83

Reaction score
My truck has a defect under the clear coat as well. Luckily it's at the very top of my door near the roof line, so I rarely notice it. It's most noticeable in dim light (like in the picture below), but when sunny (like it was during delivery) you don't really see. At first glance it looks like a bad touch up job, but with further inspection you can see it's under the clear. It's perfectly smooth like the rest of the paint. The dealer offered to have it fixed based on the way they see best fit (whatever that really means), but I decided to live with it. Once things get repainted, you may run into a whole new can of worms like mismatched color, over spray, etc.
IMG_20191231_123655.jpg
I did recently (5 months after purchase) find a new defect under my passenger side tail light. Looks like something from the inside pushed on the metal and cause the paint to crack. It's about an 1/8th inch so it's very small. I need to take it to the dealer to have them get it on record. Not sure what they will do, but I am more concerned about the future. Will it get worse, rust? For now I think just putting some clear over it should be fine. Don't want to do anything to it until the dealer takes a look.
IMG_20200515_165222.jpg
IMG_20200515_165300.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My truck has a defect under the clear coat as well. Luckily it's at the very top of my door near the roof line, so I rarely notice it. It's most noticeable in dim light (like in the picture below), but when sunny (like it was during delivery) you don't really see. At first glance it looks like a bad touch up job, but with further inspection you can see it's under the clear. It's perfectly smooth like the rest of the paint. The dealer offered to have it fixed based on the way they see best fit (whatever that really means), but I decided to live with it. Once things get repainted, you may run into a whole new can of worms like mismatched color, over spray, etc.
View attachment 56451
I did recently (5 months after purchase) find a new defect under my passenger side tail light. Looks like something from the inside pushed on the metal and cause the paint to crack. It's about an 1/8th inch so it's very small. I need to take it to the dealer to have them get it on record. Not sure what they will do, but I am more concerned about the future. Will it get worse, rust? For now I think just putting some clear over it should be fine. Don't want to do anything to it until the dealer takes a look.
View attachment 56452
View attachment 56453
That's a bummer. The one above your door is really noticeable on the photo. That would bother me as well.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this gem while waxing the truck this weekend. I don't understand how this gets through QC at the factory.

Attachments

• 4C1CDA82-7707-4772-B415-CE16297828E1.jpeg
    4C1CDA82-7707-4772-B415-CE16297828E1.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 42

Users who are viewing this thread