5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saw the new Tundra today

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think a lot of you will change your mind once you see it in person. “Saw the tundra today, and it looks way better in person than in the photos”, is gonna be a thing. Like the 4 series, I think it looks awesome in person and in photos, and now everyone likes it. Imo that limited looks way better than the TRD Pro.
The new Tundra does look better in those photos and I think you're right that it will look better in person, but I just hate the direction that Toyota has gone with their brand. The Tundra's grill just looks like a gigantic version of the Forerunner's and I hate the look of that truck. What is the deal with the iPad glued-to-the-dash look that 90% of the manufacturers are going with lately? Do people really like that unfinished look vs a screen that's integrated into the dash?

RockJock

Reaction score
What is the deal with the iPad glued-to-the-dash look that 90% of the manufacturers are going with lately? Do people really like that unfinished look vs a screen that's integrated into the dash?
I don't like that look one bit. They always look out of place to me.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a lot of you will change your mind once you see it in person. “Saw the tundra today, and it looks way better in person than in the photos”, is gonna be a thing. Like the 4 series, I think it looks awesome in person and in photos, and now everyone likes it. Imo that limited looks way better than the TRD Pro.
I’ve already decided that’s what I’m getting next and haven’t even seen it! We have a 4 years old Toyota van, never had a issue. Several family members have older Toyota’s with over 100,000 never had a issue! I just hope the new redesigned tundra has the same reliability!

U

User_3336

More reason that ever to call it a "TURD PRO"! LOL

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I’ve already decided that’s what I’m getting next and haven’t even seen it! We have a 4 years old Toyota van, never had a issue. Several family members have older Toyota’s with over 100,000 never had a issue! I just hope the new redesigned tundra has the same reliability!
I've always owned Japanese trucks and they have all been pretty reliable. Even though I didn't have a lot of issues with my 2008 Tundra, it has been the least reliable truck I have owned. In the first 5,000 miles it developed an oil leak from the timing chain cover. It was fixed under warranty. Then at 60k miles the rear axle bearings went out...that cost me $1200 to fix. I never towed anything or carried anything but dirt bikes, so I thought that was pretty lame. A few thousand miles later, the water pump went out. At about 50k miles, it developed a squealing noise from the serpentine belt when it was cold out. The noise would go away when it warmed up. I replaced the belt, tensioner pulley, and alternator. I sold the truck with 85k miles and the belt still squealed when it was cold. Yes, the tension was adjusted correctly.

The front bake pads lasted until the week before I sold the truck, so that was impressive. The battery lasted 80k miles/12 years, but I don't think Toyota gets credit for that. :ROFLMAO: I really liked that truck, but I for the money you just don't get much with a Tundra.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll probably go with the TRD Pro depending on the options and color options! I’n so over 20 “ wheels and balance, wearing funny and vibration issues😩give me some 18” off road ties😎

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lol at a glance that is how I've always read that too when I've seen TRDs in the wild. Same with the "salt life" sticker people love so much, at a glance it reads "slut life" to me.

I think the crew cab looks a little better, that extended cab looks super weird to me though. Looks like a barely bigger version of a tacoma. Overall not the biggest fan but I've never been a big fan or excited by toyotas.

Kone

Reaction score
Like the looks or not (and from what little I've seen, not) but it will be a damned good truck I'm betting. You can argue buy US all day long but Yoda makes great vehicles and had plenty of time to get the next gen Tundra right and in the end will leave the "US" trucks in the dust over reliability.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I just want Toyota to quit farting around and just unveil the darn truck already.

I'm a sucker for chrome (yeah, I'm one of *those* people), and I think that grille would possibly look decent in a version that's chrome.

Beyond all that, I'm 100% brand agnostic. I'm up for a new truck this winter/spring and as of right now, unless Ram gets off their butt and puts the ASG back in the Longhorn, I'm planning to check out the Ford Powerboost, GMC Denali (pending interior refresh, the current interior is a hard pass), and the Tundra if it checks enough boxes and offers some chrome instead of black plastic as far as the eye can see, and isn't butt ugly in blue.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Like the looks or not (and from what little I've seen, not) but it will be a damned good truck I'm betting. You can argue buy US all day long but Yoda makes great vehicles and had plenty of time to get the next gen Tundra right and in the end will leave the "US" trucks in the dust over reliability.

Toyota dealers don't have garages? They're just doing brakes and oil changes?

I see tons of old chevys/fords/dodges on the road. Buy the truck you love, not the one based on some hyped metric like reliability. Short of a few duds like the old gen 2 ED, there are very few unreliable cars made these days, including puddle jumpers like kia/hyundai.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The proportions are off. Hood is too long, cab is not tall enough, and those crummy black plastic wheel arches are there because .... ?

And then check out that giant tablet which looks like an ipad they just wood-screwed to the dash.

Designed by high schoolers on a budget. And I hate Toyota too lol.

I did consider the current gen tundra before my 2019 ram, but gas mpg and ride and 6 speed wouldn't cut it for me, but the looks of that gen is much nicer IMHO. This new gen looks like a bloated taco (which is probably what they wanted, "corporate design language" yada yada).

Welp, guess I'm sticking with Ram for the forseeable future.
I own a 4runner and really like it, but think the 22 tundra looks ok, the interior looks updated. but where's the true style? i was getting my 4runner serviced and was talking to a salesman of course he was pushing a 21 so I took a look. it really looked dated and i commented on that. his comeback to me was "well Toyota sale more cars and trucks are not are staple or after thought" 🤷‍♂️
well Toyotas are mostly trouble free that why we bought a 4runner vs a mini van

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own a 4runner and really like it, but think the 22 tundra looks ok, the interior looks updated. but where's the true style? i was getting my 4runner serviced and was talking to a salesman of course he was pushing a 21 so I took a look. it really looked dated and i commented on that. his comeback to me was "well Toyota sale more cars and trucks are not are staple or after thought" 🤷‍♂️
well Toyotas are mostly trouble free that why we bought a 4runner vs a mini van
Toyota makes mini vans we have one it’s great. They even make awd and I saw a off road sienna with bf tires on it, it sat up as high as my truck does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online