5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saw the new Tundra today

Hyfire

Reaction score
I bought two new Tundras for my wife. Great looking exterior at the time (limited and a 179X-something). Interior was outdated. Transmission was outdated and clunky in both. Seats were horribly uncomfortable. She loved them, I hated them.

Well engineered, but overly basic.

I doubt it will be a true competitor to the Big Three. It will probably be portrayed as such in the auto magazines, but peter out and fall back to being a second tier truck, like the current version.

I’m more curious to see the cybertruck and what they do with it. Not a “real truck”, but now-a-days most truck drivers aren’t “real truck drivers”.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m more curious to see the cybertruck and what they do with it. Not a “real truck”, but now-a-days most truck drivers aren’t “real truck drivers”.
I resent that. I own a real truck, therefore I am a real truck driver. :ROFLMAO:

Okay, it also depends on your definition of a "real truck". ;)

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Yoda vs Ram post made me wonder.

I just typed in my Chinese loving Googlr search box "how many Ram parts are American made". These days vehicles might be assembled in the US but not "made" here. Heck many Rams are even assembled in Mexico.

The article has this chart to go with it....
View attachment 96282
Looks like both the Taco and the Tundra beat out Ram for percentage of being American made trucks. So really we are being less patriotic by buying a Ram than a Yoda!

Funny how that works.
To be fair those are old stats. When's the last time you guys saw a Suzuki Equator?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Yoda vs Ram post made me wonder.

I just typed in my Chinese loving Googlr search box "how many Ram parts are American made". These days vehicles might be assembled in the US but not "made" here. Heck many Rams are even assembled in Mexico.

The article has this chart to go with it....
View attachment 96282
Looks like both the Taco and the Tundra beat out Ram for percentage of being American made trucks. So really we are being less patriotic by buying a Ram than a Yoda!

Funny how that works.
Funny story, I used to complain that my American Harley t shirts were made in Mexico. Then one time I was on vacation in Mexico. We saw a Harley shop so I couldn't resist. I looked at the tag in a shirt and it said "made in Honduras ". I guess everyone succumbs to cheap labor!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m old school, patriotic, and no way in Hell I would own a Toyota Tundra
truck. It’s weird, because I don‘t necessary feel the same way for a Toyota Tacoma. When I was growing up, there were no full size import trucks so our American full size trucks were sacred, and I guess still feel that way. Send em back over the pond.... you can have em.

Built in Texas. I mean we could be our own Country, but we are currently part of the USA.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tundra. And a whole lot of other things.
Yes, Texas is a great state. I hope that the state fares well with the surge from both the south and the west. My own once great state of VA has fallen. Perhaps we can rebuild from the ruins one day. 😔

For the Tundra as with many vehicles, I would venture to say it is assembled there, not built there. Much like our beloved Ram trucks the parts seem to be from abroad. Though from what I could find the Japanese company is more American made than the American company. It's a crazy world!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you knocking the Toyota infotainment - I agree in its current iteration it is a mess but there are many recent articles talking about how sweet their new system is going to be. Looks like it could actually be as good as Uconnect 5 or better.

Link to the article I saw specifically

I wasn’t excited for the new Tundra but with the way Toyota has been hyping it up I’m getting more interested. Doubt it’d get me out of my Ram but I’m very intrigued by the hybrid/electric future of trucks.

Re: “I’ll never buy foreign because it’s not American made“ - It has already been drug through the dirt but I felt like I was definitely making some Honda Ridgelines, Pilots, and Acura MDXs when I was a robotic maintenance technician for my first big boy job. I’m proud to be an American and if those foreign companies are providing more jobs for our citizens than our own domestic vehicle manufacturers then I’d be more than happy to support them. Hell, don’t our beloved Hemis come from Mexico? Can’t even make the heart and soul of the truck in America! :ROFLMAO:

Kaderast

Reaction score
Living in a CO mountain town, Tundra/Tacoma and Subaru combined make up over half of the vehicles I see around town. Both to me say, "I want a 4x4/AWD to get around in the snow, but don't want to put any thought into the decision making process, so I will just buy what everyone else has." Plus, nearest Toyota dealership is a 2+ hour drive away. That's my thought on the new Tundra....

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It’s preproduction but I expect the unveil to be within the next 2 weeks. Looks to have carbon fiber fender flares and tailgate trim. Also, think the TRD Pro will have that red/blood orange color which explains the iForce Max engine speculation of orangish electric harnesses, probably just the paint since for 2022, it’s believed to be the first year to have separate colors for the TRD’s. Red/Blood Orange for the Tundra, Green for the Tacoma, and Yellow for the 4Runner.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not sure what think of the looks yet. I need to see it in person.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually can see that front end looking good in different trim/color combos. But that's just me, it is all subjective.

I'm way more interested in the comfort level they improve in ride quality, the interior improvements, and the tech. Rival the UConnect? Let's not forget that RAM literally sold a UConnect system with panasonic radios that do not allow all the features to be used (talk to text other than predefined messages). I still love my massive touch screen and yes, i used android auto now mostly, but that is still a horrible mistake by RAM and one that pisses me off every time my phone isn't connected by wire to the truck.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I've been following the new Tundra for a while with great interest. Information has been tight along the way but I can safely say if that's what the new Tundra looks like it's an easy pass for me based on that alone.

slatersan

Reaction score
I’m old school, patriotic, and no way in Hell I would own a Toyota Tundra
truck. It’s weird, because I don‘t necessary feel the same way for a Toyota Tacoma. When I was growing up, there were no full size import trucks so our American full size trucks were sacred, and I guess still feel that way. Send em back over the pond.... you can have em.
I guess you forgot that you're driving a Fiat.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh good God!..front end is still stuck in the " lets do a brick wall look to make guys think they are driving a '79 Peterbuilt cabover"..." when I look at the front end of my Limited, then look at this...I love my truck a little more today than yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread