5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saltwater in Key - Help

wchach

Reaction score
Anyway have issues with getting water in your keyfob and then not working? I made the mistake of getting mine soaked in ocean water (I was stupid to think it would stay dry in a zip lock bag) and now I can't get in my truck. When I tried using the emergency mechanical key and unlocked the driver's door the alarm went off and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off (made a nice scene) so I locked the truck up and after a few minutes the alarm stopped.

I've taken the fob apart, removed the battery, dried out the fob as best I could and put it in front of a fan for about 20 minutes but after re-assembling everything it still won't work. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The instructions for when the key is dead say to place the key on the start button to start the truck. You can try that, try replacing the battery, or try having the key programmed to the truck again.

Sultanobaidan

Reaction score
Anyway have issues with getting water in your keyfob and then not working? I made the mistake of getting mine soaked in ocean water (I was stupid to think it would stay dry in a zip lock bag) and now I can't get in my truck. When I tried using the emergency mechanical key and unlocked the driver's door the alarm went off and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off (made a nice scene) so I locked the truck up and after a few minutes the alarm stopped.

I've taken the fob apart, removed the battery, dried out the fob as best I could and put it in front of a fan for about 20 minutes but after re-assembling everything it still won't work. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately you might have to buy a new key.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Take it apart again, clean it ( the circuit board and wiring points) with some electronic parts cleaner, preferably a spray can. Blow it dry as best you can. If you don't have any electronic cleaner or can't purchase any try cleaning it with alcohol. Use a small brush and just liberally apply to the circuity boards and expose wiring . Good luck.

wchach

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Just went and purchased a new battery in case the original one drained.

It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't 170 miles from home with no other vehicle and no easy way of getting anywhere (besides a grocery store).

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Just went and purchased a new battery in case the original one drained.

It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't 170 miles from home with no other vehicle and no easy way of getting anywhere (besides a grocery store).

I get that it's a pain, but it's 2019, you're not stuck on the Oregon trail.

Uber to get the batteries
Call Enterprise for a rental (they'll pick you up)
Have the truck towed to the nearest dealer
Etc
Etc

Yeah it sucks, yeah it costs money, but you're (presumably) in America, driving a brand new $50,000 pickup. It's not as bad as you think.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's basically the equivalent of dunking your cell phone in salt water. That's about the worst for electronics.
You can try one of those cell phone rescue packs or bury it in uncooked rice but the odds are not good that the electronics in the fob will work again.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Maybe try putting the key in rice for a day or so like you would a cell phone.

cra1g

Reaction score
Great suggestions above. If you're going to try to dry it out with rice, though, I'd soak it in distilled water first, to try to get most of the salt out, then get the water out. But if you can find electronics cleaner or rubbing alcohol, I'd do that instead.

wchach

Reaction score
Update: left everything opened up in front of a strong fan and replaced the battery.....seemed to do the trick. The truck now unlocks and locks remotely from a good 100+ feet. I'm going to leave it open in front of the fan overnight to ensure it's completely dried out but it appears to be OK.

Thanks for all the comments. I agree that it's definitely not the end of world if it died; I'm in Ocean City, MD and walking distance or Uber to just about anything needed. I feel fortunate the fob is functioning and definitely will avoid this from happening again.

ponypride

Reaction score
I would think that if you could use the manual key to get in, there would be a way to start it without the fob. I would call Honda Care and ask that the starting procedure.

yellowboy

Reaction score
When I go on a long trip I bring both my fobs with me. Get a signal proof pouch to hide it in your truck and then a regular door key made and hide that outside your truck in a magnetic key box.

Users who are viewing this thread