5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salesmen think they are soooo sneaky. DONT SIGN UNTIL YOU READ EVERYTHING

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
So I finally got some time to go in and get my Ram factory ordered. Just wanted to come here and take the time to tell everyone to READ EVERY PAPER that is given to you. We went through and built my truck. Salesmen "goes to the back" to get the build sheet printed for me. He comes back with a build sheet that is what I wanted PLUS the rubber floor mats. He let me know that "the build had to include the floor mats". Bullcrap but okay, I was gonna get weathertechs anyway. I signed his copy to approve that is what I want ordered. We discussed the build process, my trade, some quick credit checking/finance talks. At the end of it all, he goes back to the room for a good ten minutes. Comes back with a new build sheet for me. He lays it in front of me pointing out the he had handwritten the $1000 deposit that I owe, plus a $1000 off the truck price and that we would discuss final price on trade and rebates when I take order. He also says "its the same build sheet as the other one, except they had to add wheel liners too" (another thing I was going to add aftermarket to save a few bucks but meh). I am a person who will not sign a paper unless I read it top to bottom, front to back. It was also pretty obvious that this new build sheet is slightly longer and is mentioning tires for some reason. So I start going through line by line and what do ya know! The convenience package had changed from 25z to 23z. So they now have added rubber floor mats, wheel liners, and bigger rims and tires than I wanted. I pointed that out and also that the guy I was emailing said I could do $500 deposit and very quickly he said "good catch. sorry about that." and was out of his chair by the time I looked up from the paper.

In the end, he came back with the original build sheet + rubber floor mats and rear wheel liners, my $500 deposit, and now $2000 off msrp. Trade-in and rebates would be added at delivery time. So READ READ READ before you sign!!! The bigger rims might not be a big deal when it comes to overall truck price or your monthly payment; but I specifically wanted the 18" rims because I prefer the look and tires will tend to be cheaper in the long run. I accepted the floor mats and wheel liners because I was going to add them anyway, wasnt saving THAT much money, and saves a little elbow grease.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I love my 18" rims so good job sticking to what you want. I would say the Mopar rubber mats and the wheel well liners are worth getting from the dealer as the mopar mats are awesome. Also, yeah the wheel well liners are a rip off but it is still worth it in my opinion to not have to install them yourself. I think it is good that you got those included. Can sleep well in the end :)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm guessing "in the back" means a discussion with the sales manager. Hate to hear stories like this, but this is how car salespeople get the bad reputation that not all of them deserve.

Enjoy your new truck!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.

KCViper

Reaction score
Just ordered my Laramie last Friday and no games. SA did tell me the same about the mopar mats (had to be ordered).....not really sure why but was going to get them anyway, so no biggie. My brother has done business with him for years so took him at his work. Absolutely no games after entering the order and walked out with the build sheet and nothing out of my pocket. I did order the wheel liners but they are absolutely not required!!! GL with your order!

kooz21

Reaction score
My dad was sold a Toyota with 0% financing. He signed paperwork that had the APR listed at 3.9%, didn’t notice until days later. He was able to argue his way back to 1.9% but... read you paperwork!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
And they wear you down even further when you buy off the lot. Took me over 4 hours to get into the "finance managers" office (closing room). By that time - you just want to sign and GTFO of there.

I noticed even though I got $7K off sticker and a $4.5K rebate - that my Chrysler Capital financing was an 8.3APR (with a 745 Equi/Trans score). Gave me some line about FICO Score being 688 - knew it was a bunch of crap - but I typically pay a 6 year note off in 16 months (even though most of the interest is at the top of the note). So I KNOW they had points on the note - that allowed them to compensate for the discount (and the higher than expected value on my trade-in).

I've got a new (non RAM) on order - and, like Fox Mulders poster (X-Files) TRUST NO ONE. And this isn't my first rodeo at buying a new car (like my 10th or 12th), or motorcycle. The truck I want is already popular and is on "constrained allocation" because of this "computer chip shortage" we're hearing about. "Hey, I can get an order in RIGHT NOW - if you drop the TOW PACKAGE and AIR SUSPENSION". Well NOOOOOOOOooooo - those are amongst the TOP TWO OPTIONS I WANT. Tell me I can't get it with a Panoramic Sunroof - and we're ALL GOOD. So the wait continues...

READ EVERY LINE. At least - the Monroney Sheet (which should be available as soon as the VIN is issued - shame GM doesn't make them available). The build sheets get confusing for Ram - as they show all the base components, and then have the "upgrade options" scattered all over the place (and in no particular order).

They wonder WHY car salesman are ranked right up there with plumbers and personal injury attorneys...

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread