5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sales Tricks while you're sitting at the desk...

DSPS

Reaction score
The internet sales dept and internet sales mgr is your friend. I don't go to dealership to shop or negotiate with a salesmen that probably started 6 days ago, then have to deal with the sales mgr, then the finance mgr. Cars sales have evolved. I literally negoitate the OTD price before setting foot in a dealership. I know the exact vehicle/trim I want. I research incentives /rebates I qualify for, then determine the price I'm comfortable paying. I find the dealerships that have the specific inventory or they can readily get the specific trim in short order. I get pre approve from my credit union /bank, before hand, I contact multiple dealership within a reasonable radius with my OTD price via email, list my zipcode, advise of incentives that I may qualify for ( USAA, military, tru car,boys scout, band member, church choir, whatever). I state I can purchase the vehicle in 24hrs if the OTD price work. I have them send the POC with the sales price and OTD listed that we discussed and signed by the GM. The sales authorization with vehicle VIN works too but I would rather not place a deposit. I show up at dealership with signed document with GM signature, test drive /inspect vehicle, finalize docs and roll out. This works 95% of the time for me. In a sense, I really dont care about the dealer fees/mark up/freight etc. I factor in TTL + sales price I'm willing to pay after doing my homework. If my OTD price is 50K , it's makes little difference to me if the dealer fees are 20K and sales price is 30K, or if sales price is 49K and dealer fees is 1K .. It's amazing how they always get the numbers to work to make the sale, even after factoring in all the supposedly nonnegotiable fees. I dont care about the $800 pure profit doc fee, the notorious double dipping with the destination fee, all the dealer add on's that I did not authorize, or any of the other nonsense dealers do with the pricing. They have my zipcode to factor in regional incentives and to calculate the sales tax if applicable. Done.

Last edited:

heydre

Reaction score
The internet sales dept and internet sales mgr is your friend.

I keep hearing some version of this from quite a few even though my experience with the Internet Manager was bordering on comical. Here's some quotes from him that you'll enjoy before/after he stood me up for an appointment:

"All I can ask...I am growing concerned that I have not herd back from you yet. "
"Been torn in two since your last response. I received your email last night and I want to proceed the correct way. "
"Let me show you why my service is worth it.... "
"I can only imagine how frustrated you are getting but I have tried to copy/paste, click the link, and open the email in not only a different browser but a different format as well. I can not access your link. Do you have it saved on your device?"

Dude no showed (without cancelling) amongst 17 emails back and forth, never called back, and only emailed me if I did first. He somehow couldn't copy/click any kind of link I sent him to my build on RamTrucks....run-a-round.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
The internet has changed car buying for sure. I knew exactly which truck I wanted and what I would be paying for it before I got to the dealership. I called ahead and the truck I wanted to see was sitting out front when I got there. I test drove it and bought it.

Years ago, I needed a shower after leaving most dealerships. My skin would crawl as soon as the salesperson spoke.... it was like they were emitting this sleazy vibe. I know some of these guys still exist, but I think they are much more the exception than the rule now. Social norms are much different, and internet ratings have impacted this as well.

The salesman I worked with for my Ram (a genuinely decent guy) said the average person now only looks at 1.2 vehicles when buying. Basically, if a person walks out of a dealership, the sale is gone.

bigwidge

Reaction score
I tried hard to work do my work in advance with the internet sales team at a lot of dealerships... hoping to make my deal over e-mail/phone and then come in and finalize. But in the end, I got the best deal from working with a Salesman face to face. A lot of the internet guys I worked with were so stingy, and wouldn't budge an inch on price. Even had one advertise a VIP price, which the internet guy confirmed was the "final" price, but the SM wouldn't honor. Went on to say it includes rebates I didn't apply for and what not (nowhere was that mentioned on their site). Little old me was not happy, but found an even better deal shortly after!

Also worth adding, my "favorite" sales tactic was at the same dealership that offered the "VIP" price. They talked a lot of game, promised to offer me an unbeatable number for my trade-in, and promised to have their best deal ready.

Drove 3 hours to see their "best price" was 2k off sticker. This was in June when most were getting 25%-30% off. They ALSO came in $6k below the best offer for my trade-in. I laughed in their face and said this price isn't anywhere near where I want to be. They then flew the four square paper in front of me and said "just sign here, then we can work out the details in the finance office". Nice try, suckas!

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Things I usually do:

1. Already know what I want before I ever step foot on a lot. When I go to the lot it's really just to confirm the vehicle meets my criteria.
2. Try not to be married to just one model. When I decided it was time to move on to a new truck from my Titan, I kept an open mind. I needed the flat floor so it was Ford, Nissan, Ram for my choices. Ford was too expensive and Nissan was too ugly.
3. Negotiate only on the price to the dealer. I leave tax, tag and title out of it as those prices are set by my state and I don't see any point in muddying the waters by including stuff that has to be paid regardless. To me the only variable is the portion of the price that goes to the dealership (forget about what they pay FCA), which would be the price of the truck plus whatever the dealer's "doc" "processing" or whatever they call it fee is. I can calculate in my head how much extra I have to pay for the tax, tag, & title.
4. Negotiate the value of my trade separate. Usually negotiate the price on the vehicle, and when I'm satisfied with that then say "OK, if I wanted to trade in, how much would you give me on my vehicle". That will usually give you a pretty clean idea on what they're valuing your trade at.
5. Have done so much research I know what's a fair price range for the vehicle and fair price for my trade (if I'm going to trade).

Mostly I take all of it in stride and not personal these days. Negotiating for new cars used to stress me out, but I'm generally pretty chill when I do it today. I kind of consider it a game, and if I already know what a fair price is then we either end up in that range or I walk, no hard feelings.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m aware that for some the buying process is a game they enjoy playing, for some they just don't want to leave much of anything on the table, and then theres a few who were ex industry salesmen and know whats the best way to avoid the “4 corner” traps and all the rest of the games.

The use of the internet for research certainly has assisted buyers, case in point the dozens who responded to the almost 200 page “prices paid” thread and stated that they didnt know about the June incentives till they read about them.

All in all it’s likely the 2nd most expensive item you will ever purchase (for some it’s the 1st) so it pays to keep informed.

Last edited by a moderator:

heydre

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to share the sales tricks employed once you're sitting at the desk ready to make a deal. NOT the imaginary loss leaders advertised to get you on the lot, false email deals, or the salesman shuffle but once you've done the test drive, parking lot banter, and now you're in the chair. Try to leave out all the lead up and just drop the tactics on us > and your responses....

1. Oh that car is now a "dealer" car...it's not available. > It's been on the website for a month and is STILL on the website (25% off).
  2. How much would you like to pay a month..what could you afford? > I don't talk about payments...I talk about purchase price and then payments are decided by term length/interest/down.
  3. Will you be financing with us...how's your credit? > I'll finance the best interest rate from a reputable bank...I have over 700 credit rating.
  4. Sign here (multiple times)...it doesn't indicate obligation? > I read each document before signing while affirming verbally the reasons for each paper then I handed it back.
TL;DR> Fake bait truck not available...$44.6k initial on Big Horn...$43k next...$37k my limit...offered $38.7k out the door BUT it now included my $5k down AND the monthly payment was let's say....rounding up....way up.

After chasing down the nonexistent "dealer" truck, I test drove a Tradesman then "reluctantly" upsold myself to a Big Horn. MSRP was $53.6k with a dealer sticker of $44.6k. At the desk, I pointed out the pricing on the previous similar vehicle at $39.9k which drew me in. They reduced to $43k and I hemmed and hawed as I hinted that my limit was $37k upon which he asked how much I was willing to put down ($5k). He disappears to give it a go...

Sales manager comes out with his serious, low tones and tells me how hard he is going to fight for $37k but wants me to sign the bottom of the negotiation outline that says "I will purchase this car and drive it home" (says it's not binding). More waiting....he returns without a word, stares at me, puts his hand out to congratulate me as if we've met my price. I was paranoid so I lean in, shake his hand, and signal my readiness for the math on his shielded worksheet.

He lays it down and I notice the total discount FROM MSRP was now $15.6k ($9k original + $1.6k + $5k to seal the deal) to put the OTD price at $38.7k with TTL/tax/dealer). I was shocked with only 3 hours in and didn't see any red flags as he runs through the rest of the numbers until I get to the amount financed....$38.7k.

Last time I checked...$38.7 minus the $5k= $33.7k financed so he went into his figurometry to avoid what I noted until they had to reveal that they were offering the $38.7k with my $5k down subtracted from the quote so I must have misunderstood. Not to mention the monthly payment after "financing" was waaaaay off. Yeah...so I took the blame without arguing the obvious...now will they call back?

UPDATE!

TL;DR> Lowered listing -$3k online (25% off in total)...denied USAA/Conquest rebates...GM got huffy...I walked....roadside price reduction...drove off

The game continues...I'll keep it "short story long":
  1. Left dealer a few days ago after the number shenanigans above but knowing they'd go lower and recontact me a few days later.
  2. Did the "really nice...if there's anything we can do" meeting you BS emails (just repeated my sticking points)
  3. Noticed online that the truck we last negotiated was reduced $3k more to $40.6k (BTW the first mistakenly listed truck that started off negotiations is STILL listed)
  4. Decided to email my salesman to affirm the advertised price (magically it was another "mistake" posting that they decided to honor only for today)
  5. Went in and was told my truck was being detailed and it was time to get financing going (I revealed my financing approval from USAA which they said was NOT preferred because it regularly took 60 days for them to pay up...not my experience with them???)
  6. They asked what papers I had from USAA and I told them that I just wrote down the figures, I handed him the papers to see what I wrote and he walked off with ALL my notes (checklist, USAA discount, and other calculations)
  7. I purposely left off numbers most important to the deal (always looking over your shoulder). I decided to let them walk with the notes to see what happens.
  8. Big Wig came out while we were talking and interrupts, doesn't introduce himself, and tells me that my USAA deal (from FCA) doesn't stack with the incentives.
  9. I pointed out that the small print says it goes with most incentives (except military) and he interrupted and told me it doesn't.
  10. I was ready for this rebuttal so I said I'd take the $1k Conquest bonus listed under the advertised price as "available conditional rebates".
  11. He jumped right in and said nope because it doesn't go with the select inventory bonus cash...I then asked why it was listed as an available conditional rebate.
  12. He said it's Oregon law that it's listed and it's one or the other so I pointed out that if he had to legally list them then why are some listed for one but not another.
  13. He challenged the salesman to pull them up to prove me wrong...instead he ended up colliding with his own made up logic....he was getting pissed so he proceeded with a "that's the way it is" tone and some hard stares.
  14. I was getting ramped too (throat was dry) so I decided to defuse by saying that if it's one set of rebates OR another then, to prevent misunderstandings, the others shouldn't be "available"
  15. Meanwhile my salesman is shrinking into the corner and silent while I remind him that I know one or both of the rebates have stacked according to deals my friends have gotten. Big Wig questions how I REALLY know (I say he's a good friend...never lied before) and he follows with "we don't lie here". I replied that my friend is not a liar and that if you haven't been lied to at a dealership then you're not paying attention. BW replies that "if anyone lies here...I fire 'em"....sure you do.
  16. He walks off and, as he heads for his office, I turn to my salesman and tell him that I don't like that guy. He says that he's just "direct" and I say that being direct is different than being a d***. I then apologized for my language saying that it wasn't personal but that he came on way too strong/fast without any tact.
  17. We break the tension and go for a test drive...all is well but awkward still as my salesman is wondering if he lost the sale.
  18. Back at the lot, we don't get out of the car as I confess to him that this deal isn't going to get made because I'm not going to get either of the rebates and it won't be productive bringing back Big Wig so I thank him again and tell him that I don't want to waste his time. We shake hands amicably and head separate ways.
  19. As I'm driving out of the lot (you can guess what's next), my salesman is walking down the side of the access road. As I pass he flags me down so I roll down my window as he apologizes again and reminds me that Big Wig was the one to "allow" the deal in the first place and I nod without comment.
  20. He offers another 250...500 off to make the deal and I just repeat my sticking point and thank him nicely for trying so hard.

Hope you got a chuckle...this whole experience reminds me again of dating women that just aren't worth the hassles but then again....this car is so attractive! LOL

PS I probably should've bit at 25.3% off...did get email from GM apologizing (he said he was being brass)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To put things in perspective, I got 11% off in April and was ok with that. You’ve rejected 25%. Is this the truck you’d like to have in your driveway? Equipped like you want? If so, then accept the deal at 25% and know that you’ve saved thousands over people who bought from August 2018 up till May 31st...

heydre

Reaction score
To put things in perspective, I got 11% off in April and was ok with that. You’ve rejected 25%. Is this the truck you’d like to have in your driveway? Equipped like you want? If so, then accept the deal at 25% and know that you’ve saved thousands over people who bought from August 2018 up till May 31st...
Yeah...I'm starting to second guess myself..it's the percentage off goal I had but it's more truck than I'd set for myself (stuck between a Tradesman and Big Horn on features)...you might be right.

timtlu

Reaction score
UPDATE!

TL;DR> Lowered listing -$3k online (25% off in total)...denied USAA/Conquest rebates...GM got huffy...I walked....roadside price reduction...drove off

The game continues...I'll keep it "short story long":
  1. Left dealer a few days ago after the number shenanigans above but knowing they'd go lower and recontact me a few days later.
  2. Did the "really nice...if there's anything we can do" meeting you BS emails (just repeated my sticking points)
  3. Noticed online that the truck we last negotiated was reduced $3k more to $40.6k (BTW the first mistakenly listed truck that started off negotiations is STILL listed)
  4. Decided to email my salesman to affirm the advertised price (magically it was another "mistake" posting that they decided to honor only for today)
  5. Went in and was told my truck was being detailed and it was time to get financing going (I revealed my financing approval from USAA which they said was NOT preferred because it regularly took 60 days for them to pay up...not my experience with them???)
  6. They asked what papers I had from USAA and I told them that I just wrote down the figures, I handed him the papers to see what I wrote and he walked off with ALL my notes (checklist, USAA discount, and other calculations)
  7. I purposely left off numbers most important to the deal (always looking over your shoulder). I decided to let them walk with the notes to see what happens.
  8. Big Wig came out while we were talking and interrupts, doesn't introduce himself, and tells me that my USAA deal (from FCA) doesn't stack with the incentives.
  9. I pointed out that the small print says it goes with most incentives (except military) and he interrupted and told me it doesn't.
  10. I was ready for this rebuttal so I said I'd take the $1k Conquest bonus listed under the advertised price as "available conditional rebates".
  11. He jumped right in and said nope because it doesn't go with the select inventory bonus cash...I then asked why it was listed as an available conditional rebate.
  12. He said it's Oregon law that it's listed and it's one or the other so I pointed out that if he had to legally list them then why are some listed for one but not another.
  13. He challenged the salesman to pull them up to prove me wrong...instead he ended up colliding with his own made up logic....he was getting pissed so he proceeded with a "that's the way it is" tone and some hard stares.
  14. I was getting ramped too (throat was dry) so I decided to defuse by saying that if it's one set of rebates OR another then, to prevent misunderstandings, the others shouldn't be "available"
  15. Meanwhile my salesman is shrinking into the corner and silent while I remind him that I know one or both of the rebates have stacked according to deals my friends have gotten. Big Wig questions how I REALLY know (I say he's a good friend...never lied before) and he follows with "we don't lie here". I replied that my friend is not a liar and that if you haven't been lied to at a dealership then you're not paying attention. BW replies that "if anyone lies here...I fire 'em"....sure you do.
  16. He walks off and, as he heads for his office, I turn to my salesman and tell him that I don't like that guy. He says that he's just "direct" and I say that being direct is different than being a d***. I then apologized for my language saying that it wasn't personal but that he came on way too strong/fast without any tact.
  17. We break the tension and go for a test drive...all is well but awkward still as my salesman is wondering if he lost the sale.
  18. Back at the lot, we don't get out of the car as I confess to him that this deal isn't going to get made because I'm not going to get either of the rebates and it won't be productive bringing back Big Wig so I thank him again and tell him that I don't want to waste his time. We shake hands amicably and head separate ways.
  19. As I'm driving out of the lot (you can guess what's next), my salesman is walking down the side of the access road. As I pass he flags me down so I roll down my window as he apologizes again and reminds me that Big Wig was the one to "allow" the deal in the first place and I nod without comment.
  20. He offers another 250...500 off to make the deal and I just repeat my sticking point and thank him nicely for trying so hard.

Hope you got a chuckle...this whole experience reminds me again of dating women that just aren't worth the hassles but then again....this car is so attractive! LOL

PS I probably should've bit at 25.3% off...did get email from GM apologizing (he said he was being brass)

Not to burst your bubble, but none of the other rebates (conquest, USAA, PenFed) stacked with the select inventory rebate in June. I'm pretty sure the dealer is shooting you straight here.

heydre

Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble, but none of the other rebates (conquest, USAA, PenFed) stacked with the select inventory rebate in June. I'm pretty sure the dealer is shooting you straight here.
You might be right...found one who stacked in late May and possibly one in June (couldn't tell if it was select inventory)...thx.

gpbst3

Reaction score
The few scams I have come across so far...

Toyota dealer: initial price included the paint protection and under carriage spray which they did not mention. This
way they can take off the $699 on a second offer so it looks like they are saving you money.

Ram dealer 1: I email internet sales guy (like everyone recommends dealing with) about a specific truck on the lot.
Never gives me any prices but says come on in and mention to the sales manger you spoke with me.
The truck had been sold and the website was never updated. Internet guys only job is to get people in
the door and gets $20 a person who comes in.

Ram dealer 2: Price offer plus $900 shipping. I advise shipping ($1600) is already in the window sticker. They say they take it out and only add back in the $900. I also did not qualify for the competitive truck (Toyota Tundra) owner $1000 rebate. Funny the dealer i bought the truck from said i qualify.

TulsaRam

Reaction score
The internet sales dept and internet sales mgr is your friend. I don't go to dealership to shop or negotiate with a salesmen that probably started 6 days ago, then have to deal with the sales mgr, then the finance mgr. Cars sales have evolved. I literally negoitate the OTD price before setting foot in a dealership. I know the exact vehicle/trim I want. I research incentives /rebates I qualify for, then determine the price I'm comfortable paying. I find the dealerships that have the specific inventory or they can readily get the specific trim in short order. I get pre approve from my credit union /bank, before hand, I contact multiple dealership within a reasonable radius with my OTD price via email, list my zipcode, advise of incentives that I may qualify for ( USAA, military, tru car,boys scout, band member, church choir, whatever). I state I can purchase the vehicle in 24hrs if the OTD price work. I have them send the POC with the sales price and OTD listed that we discussed and signed by the GM. The sales authorization with vehicle VIN works too but I would rather not place a deposit. I show up at dealership with signed document with GM signature, test drive /inspect vehicle, finalize docs and roll out. This works 95% of the time for me. In a sense, I really dont care about the dealer fees/mark up/freight etc. I factor in TTL + sales price I'm willing to pay after doing my homework. If my OTD price is 50K , it's makes little difference to me if the dealer fees are 20K and sales price is 30K, or if sales price is 49K and dealer fees is 1K .. It's amazing how they always get the numbers to work to make the sale, even after factoring in all the supposedly nonnegotiable fees. I dont care about the $800 pure profit doc fee, the notorious double dipping with the destination fee, all the dealer add on's that I did not authorize, or any of the other nonsense dealers do with the pricing. They have my zipcode to factor in regional incentives and to calculate the sales tax if applicable. Done.
This. Going in to a dealership to "negotiate" a price is a thing of the past. If you don't go into the dealer already knowing what you want to pay, you have lost.

I made my deal via email, started at my truck and $25K in May. They said the best they could do was $27K. I walked away and in June I purchased for my truck and $20K. It was the same truck I looked at in May. They should have taken the $25K offer in May.

Last edited:

rlc2020

Reaction score
This! I spent 3 full days driving all over new england trying to find the best deal that I could. I was a stickler down to the penny, which is great if you have nothing better to do, but I dragged my wife and 2yr old around with me which wasn't fun for either of them. I decided on day 3 of trying to give my local guy a call back. ( they did not have the right truck the first time around). I told him what I wanted and said to just make it happen. He literally drove to my work with everything all done for me after I did a quick app online for the financing. I signed the stuff at work with everything filled out to my specifications (no hidden fees or bs from the finance guy) and the next morning I went in and picked up my truck.
Sure, I paid a little more than if I spent all day there fighting with them, but after 3 days of arguing with shady dealers, I decided I wanted a truck and would pay a little more to take the stress out of it.

From now on, I will pay a slight premium to get premium service.

Ram92131

Reaction score
I had a VW dealer once tell me at the table: “This Jetta is good looking, it’s sporty. It’s you, basically.”

So beware the shady dealer who confuses the sales floor with a dance club floor. LOL.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a VW dealer once tell me at the table: “This Jetta is good looking, it’s sporty. It’s you, basically.”

So beware the shady dealer who confuses the sales floor with a dance club floor. LOL.
:ROFLMAO: I guess that's better than shopping for a minivan and hearing the salesman say "It's you, basically."

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
This all good advice. I did a few extra things on purchasing last two vehicles.
I usually go in Tuesday of last week of the month.

I find who the main competition is to the vehicle I really want. I get them to let me "take home and drive it for a day"
I drive around looking for the dealer with the most inventory on the lot - including the storage lots. I pick the dealer with the most inventory. In my case for the 1500, I found a dealer sitting on close to +75 trucks in the storage lot. Whereas the other dealers were sitting on less than 10.

I drive that vehicle to the targeted dealer with a Monroney sticker printed out with "notes" written on it. Trade in, purchase price.
I also print out Monroney stickers from 5 other dealers in the area with my notes on them. I put Stars on 2, that are at other dealers that I like.
I know exactly what I want to pay all in.

I ask them to park their vehicle next to the competition.
I spread out the monroney stickers with my "notes" on them on the hood. Sales guy can't resist reading my notes
We do the deal outside next to the competitor vehicle.
I don't go inside unless we have a deal.
I also say Ive got to pick up my kids at soccer in 90 minutes, so lets get it done. If they say they can't say them I'm going to Dealer X, thanks for your time and I drive away in competitor truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This all good advice. I did a few extra things on purchasing last two vehicles.
I usually go in Tuesday of last week of the month.

I find who the main competition is to the vehicle I really want. I get them to let me "take home and drive it for a day"
I drive around looking for the dealer with the most inventory on the lot - including the storage lots. I pick the dealer with the most inventory. In my case for the 1500, I found a dealer sitting on close to +75 trucks in the storage lot. Whereas the other dealers were sitting on less than 10.

I drive that vehicle to the targeted dealer with a Monroney sticker printed out with "notes" written on it. Trade in, purchase price.
I also print out Monroney stickers from 5 other dealers in the area with my notes on them. I put Stars on 2, that are at other dealers that I like.
I know exactly what I want to pay all in.

I ask them to park their vehicle next to the competition.
I spread out the monroney stickers with my "notes" on them on the hood. Sales guy can't resist reading my notes
We do the deal outside next to the competitor vehicle.
I don't go inside unless we have a deal.
I also say Ive got to pick up my kids at soccer in 90 minutes, so lets get it done. If they say they can't say them I'm going to Dealer X, thanks for your time and I drive away in competitor truck.
A) Love the method. Nice execution.
B) You either have more time or determination than me...or both.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
A) Love the method. Nice execution.
B) You either have more time or determination than me...or both.
Thanks. I would call it stubbornness to the sales process. I take vacation day off of work to try and get it all done on one day. I use Google Earth to find storage lots the night before then drive around. its a one day vision quest to try to get the deal I want.

Users who are viewing this thread