5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety issue, need help

RamLtd19

Reaction score
While driving the family to a softball game the truck lit up with tons of warnings and the speedometer was like a windshield wiper. The mileage was flickering between 37770 and “NO BUS”. Truck was driving fine. Has anyone experienced this or know what the problem is?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First guess would be the battery. Causes really strange things to happen with the electronics.
Is your battery pretty old right now?

RamLtd19

Reaction score
First guess would be the battery. Causes really strange things to happen with the electronics.
Is your battery pretty old right now?
Battery manufactured in Dec’23, installed Jan’24

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t yet. Recommend a specific one or all of them? As I understand it there are 20+ ground points
start with the battery. then check all. also check the power cables especially the ones in fuse box

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Any one of your modules could be failing and shorting out the CAN BUS. That's the network that ties everything together, engine, trans, ABS, dash, pretty much everything. Short the wires together and nothing will talk to anything else.

If it were my truck, I would first examine all the battery connections in the fuse box underhood. Then I would look for any aftermarket anti-theft/alarm/tracking devices and remove them. In five years at a Toyota dealership, the only time I ever had a bus failure code, it was caused by a bad antitheft module. And when the topic came up at factory school, it was unanimous- nobody else had ever encountered it with a factory module, it was always from aftermarket stuff.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You’ve got a 2019. Any rear window leaks we should know about? Did you recently experience heavy rain?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In five years at a Toyota dealership, the only time I ever had a bus failure code, it was caused by a bad antitheft module. And when the topic came up at factory school, it was unanimous- nobody else had ever encountered it with a factory module, it was always from aftermarket stuff.
Ram isn't Toyota by any means. Bus failures happen frequently on Stellantis vehicles.

Shorted wiring at the rear bumper connectors, blind spot sensors, water in BCM connectors are just a few that I have seen.

RamLtd19

Reaction score
Back window sealed a month ago by dealer for leaking. Was told the rf hub was fine and either way is on back order. Now they won’t return my calls. Had battery drain issues, but this is completely new

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back window sealed a month ago by dealer for leaking. Was told the rf hub was fine and either way is on back order. Now they won’t return my calls. Had battery drain issues, but this is completely new
The hub would possibly be the number one on my list of suspects.

Users who are viewing this thread