5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety concern for RAMs with 12" Screen

borderjack

Reaction score
Tonight it was necessary to back my truck and utility trailer onto an approach off a county highway. This is usually not a problem as there is enough daylight to see what my trailer is doing. With the days getting shorter I had to make this maneuver in total darkness as there are no street lights in the country or a moon in the sky this evening. I also need to do this quickly so that oncoming traffic was not affected.

Now the problem. My RAM is equipped with a wonderful 12" display. While it is pretty good in the daytime, in the darkness total darkness, the display is so bright that I could not see the trailer in my mirrors and the backup camera is basically useless as it is pixelated and does not provide any useful vision beyond the trailer hitch on the back of the truck. There is NO WAY to dim the screen when backing up as there is when driving forward. The Screen Off button is not functional when the backup camera is activated nor does the dimmer for the dash and display have any effect. After many attempts to see the approach I needed to back into while waiting for traffic to clear so that I could make another attempt, I finally gave up as I just couldn't see the back end of my trailer. After some extensive searching of the cab and RAMboxes, I finally located a microfiber towel that I used to cover the screen allowing me to see the lights on the back of the trailer and finally back into the approach.

Has anyone else been in this situation and should RAM offer a way to turn off the screen in backup camera mode?

squid013

Reaction score
Tonight it was necessary to back my truck and utility trailer onto an approach off a county highway. This is usually not a problem as there is enough daylight to see what my trailer is doing. With the days getting shorter I had to make this maneuver in total darkness as there are no street lights in the country or a moon in the sky this evening. I also need to do this quickly so that oncoming traffic was not affected.

Now the problem. My RAM is equipped with a wonderful 12" display. While it is pretty good in the daytime, in the darkness total darkness, the display is so bright that I could not see the trailer in my mirrors and the backup camera is basically useless as it is pixelated and does not provide any useful vision beyond the trailer hitch on the back of the truck. There is NO WAY to dim the screen when backing up as there is when driving forward. The Screen Off button is not functional when the backup camera is activated nor does the dimmer for the dash and display have any effect. After many attempts to see the approach I needed to back into while waiting for traffic to clear so that I could make another attempt, I finally gave up as I just couldn't see the back end of my trailer. After some extensive searching of the cab and RAMboxes, I finally located a microfiber towel that I used to cover the screen allowing me to see the lights on the back of the trailer and finally back into the approach.

Has anyone else been in this situation and should RAM offer a way to turn off the screen in backup camera mode?
I flip on the under mirror backint lights and its great

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have to try mine . I wasn't aware the screen couldn't be dimmed or turned off if backing up .

CanRebel

Reaction score
I have to try mine . I wasn't aware the screen couldn't be dimmed or turned off if backing up .

Might be dumb question, but did you adjust the lighting?
My 2021 Rebel has switch you can adjust. Mine was broke when it was new.
Hit little bumps on road, dash/screen would turn off or on.
But if it's too bright for you, you can adjust it.

1633077900557.png

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 has a button to turn the screen off. It on the left lower side.

Jim
Mine has that too. Not sure if he wants to still see the reverse camera though?

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Mine has that too. Not sure if he wants to still see the reverse camera though?

If you turn it off with the “Screen Off” button, it will still turn on for the reverse camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you turn it off with the “Screen Off” button, it will still turn on for the reverse camera.

Oh nice! I’ve never tried that

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Oh nice! I’ve never tried that

There are some settings as well for the display where you can set it up so that it dims as low as possible when the headlights turn on. From factory it will be set to auto but switch it to manual and set it to the values you like.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Funny how many people comment without actually reading the entire OP. He's already tried dimming it and turning it off. It doesn't work in reverse. I had the same issue backing up in the dark to hook up a trailer.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Funny how many people comment without actually reading the entire OP. He's already tried dimming it and turning it off. It doesn't work in reverse. I had the same issue backing up in the dark to hook up a trailer.

I was responding to djevox about his doubt but yes I did read the post of OP just didn’t have anything to solve his issue at the moment.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I was responding to djevox about his doubt but yes I did read the post of OP just didn’t have anything to solve his issue at the moment.

It wasn't directed at you. It's just so many posted the same thing that it is funny. Telling them to do the same thing they already tried is redundant. I feel like I'm on the phone with tech support.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score

In response to your question, yes they should offer a way to disable it. The only thing I can think of that will disable it is a TazerDT. Its a module that connects to the Security Bypass port by the steering column and it allows you to alter features that are not available through the display. There you should be able to enable and disable the rear camera, therefore it shouldn’t show up on the screen also you might be able to completely shut off the screen altogether.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
It wasn't directed at you. It's just so many posted the same thing that it is funny. Telling them to do the same thing they already tried is redundant. I feel like I'm on the phone with tech support.

Hahahaha my bad, thought you were but yes after reading over the thread I did see the same thing as you

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score

Im hoping OP sees my post of the TazerDT it’s the only thing that came to mind.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I appreciate you responding. I learned some new things today

stronbl

Reaction score
Had exactly the same problem as the OP with my 2020 Limited backing up in darkness ... I did a low tech solution so I could see out the side mirrors - I keep a small microfiber towel in the lower glovebox so I put it over the display and anchored it with my phone in the upper power receptacle so it would stay in place. Not very elegant but did the job.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Not just ram. My Silverado did the same thing. There was no fix for it.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would it do anything to add more backup lighting to diminish the pixelation on the screen? I think the screen is basically worthless at night because it gets pixelated, and is bright. By adding more backup lighting, maybe the display won't be useless. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online