5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust on inside edge of tailpipes...only 2 weeks old

Odpterror4

Reaction score
So just picked up a limited 2 weeks ago and I just noticed some minor rust on the inside edge of the tailpipes....is this covered under warranty and should I bring this up to the dealer?

Attachments

• 20190703_181642.jpg
    20190703_181642.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190703_181658.jpg
    20190703_181658.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Congrats on the Limited!! What a sweet rig that is.

My opinion (whatever that’s worth) is two parts:

1) that’s not “major rust”. Major rust is when you can see the highway beneath the gas pedal because the rust has eaten the floorboard

2) if you bring it up, what do you expect the dealer to say? If you get two new chrome pipe ends they too may have the same result all the while you get to experience (for free) the added neurosis of looking at your tailpipes with concern everytime you walk behind the truck. No thanks

I hope you didn’t get the ivory leather or you will be miserable as Fock! Hahaha (I made that mistake on a new car I bought in the late 90s which came with white leather. Man, whip me beat me take away my credit cards but never again any color other than black for leather my friends

Your answer is in this conundrum -

Picture a transparent box with a gold bar in it. The box has on opening just big enough for your hand but not for your hand and the gold bar. The gold bar will fit through just notnin your hand.

If you want a gold bar go some place else and accept that you’ll never have this one. You can have a gold bar just not this one

You can have a vehicle that is reliable gets exactly the mpg it claims never acts up and has close to zero imperfections - it’s from Asia and rhymes with yolanda :)

That advice goes for those of you out there suffering from self imposed emotional torture over a woman as well. Acceptance and moving forward supplements a healthy lifestyle and sense of worth

Cheers,

I’ll bill your regular insurance for this session

Odpterror4

Reaction score
You win!!! I edited the post to reflect minor rust instead. I should chose my words more carefully and expect a $67K truck to not really be worth $67K. Hell what's the point of a warranty if your just gonna say that you shouldn't get worked up about it and just accept it for what it is?

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
You win!!! I edited the post to reflect minor rust instead. I should chose my words more carefully and expect a $67K truck to not really be worth $67K. Hell what's the point of a warranty if your just gonna say that you shouldn't get worked up about it and just accept it for what it is?

Now now!

We all validate your feelings. As we all have had similar experiences. Having reasonable expectations is normal and being disappointed is also valid and understandable

So now what? You still have a touch of rust on the inside of your exhaust pipes.

Maybe -

Make a note of it to the dealer so you can satisfy your disappointment by at least drawing attention to it

Try and understand maybe chrome isn’t the way to go or perhaps the chrome treatment process isn’t being done correctly

What I’m failing at trying to convey is: Will it affect how you feel about the world, yourself, your work, or anything of any consequence other than a quip of “well That sucks”? Probably not.

Are you without your new truck? No. Would it be fair to say on the list of crap that people have suffered is this a .0005 on a scale of 100? Maybe? It’s no biggy and you’d be happier never minding the little things

Or you could set it on fire and claim the $$$

You’ve got options lol

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While “stuff happens” I think a brand new (expensive) truck should be perfect after as little as two weeks. They should have detailed it better when delivered. That said, surface rust like this happens on things. It’s not a rust thru type of thing or something to be overly concerned about. It obviously had some condensation sitting on the lip that didn’t drain probably because of the way it was parked on a slope.

All that said, mentioned it to the dealer. Tell them it’s not a huge deal but you’re a bit disappointed they would deliver a vehicle like that. Maybe suggest that in exchange for your time, they can make a note in your file and that when it’s time for your first oil change, they can comp you that for the aggravation, and at the same time either sand/wire brush the tip or warranty the piece if they don’t think they can get it perfect (which should be easy). In the meantime....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tare it to the dealership service department and show them. They'll probably get you a new pair of tailpipes. Me? I'd grab some 00 steel wool that I have laying around and clean up the rust. It could be rail dust (iron shavings/dust) that collected in the tailpipes and the moisture from a few starts caused it to show up. I'd suspect you clean it up and you'll never see it again. Plus, within a month the insides of the tips will be solid black with soot and you won't see anything but black in that area.

ZeroSeVen

Reaction score
It doesn't look bad at all... I bet it'll come off easily with the use of scour pads (as pictured above), wd-40 and 10 minutes of your time... once you get the rust stains off you can always use Eastwood's silver exhaust paint or just have it powder coated to black

Good luck to you!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it bothers you, I would still get them warrantied on your next service and see if that next set is better protected from rust.

But in the meantime, those tips are easy to remove, just clamped on to the resonator on each side. A socket wrench and 10 seconds you remove them so you can more easily clean them. After hand removing the rust, coat them with some Corrosion-X or WD-40 before reinstall them. They should stay looking good for a long time, especially if you use Corrosion-X.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use it all the time on the tips to clean the black soot off around the edges. Works great.

Gmr

Reaction score
So just picked up a limited 2 weeks ago and I just noticed some minor rust on the inside edge of the tailpipes....is this covered under warranty and should I bring this up to the dealer?

This is a non issue. Tail pipes, exhaust, steel and chrome rust.

You should by default expect a limited lifetime in a factory exhaust. These metals will rust, every time you start a cold motor, the heat will react with the air and introduce moisture. You can postpone for by making sure you never take short trips, making sure you at least drive the car long enough to bake out every bit and molecule of h2o. This is obviously untenable. In an exhaust, it not only gets moisture and random heat cycles, not to mention particulates that by the nature of combustion exit that path and deposit in there and act as a trap for more moisture, but also never benefits from a car wash, unless you're so silly to try to stick the car was wand inside the tail pipe.

You can't stop the rot inside the pipe, it should last 20 years or so at minimum which is and should be expected by the nature of the material used for construction. Residual rust is and should be expected no matter how much you spend on the vehicle.

You do have options here if this normal and expected chemical reaction occurs and bothers you that much. You can opt to purchase an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust system, it will last much longer. But you can't expect the materials you purchased to act any different than nature dictates.

Yes, it sucks that manufacturers don't use the best materials. It is what it is

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use it all the time on the tips to clean the black soot off around the edges. Works great.
As long as you like a brushed stainless look instead of chrome. Those pads are used to take the shine off stuff so paint will adhere. They are all used to scuff beds for spray in Berliners.

Users who are viewing this thread