5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust on engine

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum. Great info from everyone so far. Found a 2019 Ram Rebel with 2,700 miles on it. Looks good inside and out. Drives fine. Build date is 09/18. One concern I had was rust on the engine. Could this be flood damage? Or just splashing around in the mud type rust? Thoughts appreciated!

2wd

Reaction score
Mine has it too since new. This is my first Hemi. Pretty sure this is standard due to the cast iron block. There is going to be surface rust. It is alarming to see though if you've come from aluminum block engines like many of us have.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum. Great info from everyone so far. Found a 2019 Ram Rebel with 2,700 miles on it. Looks good inside and out. Drives fine. Build date is 09/18. One concern I had was rust on the engine. Could this be flood damage? Or just splashing around in the mud type rust? Thoughts appreciated!

View attachment 21396
View attachment 21399

That...
that right there seems substantial

I’ll check mine tomorrow and post up anything I find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wd

Reaction score
I noticed rust on the block similar to his picture on mine the day I brought it home with 26 miles on the odometer.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
One other thing I noticed was that some of the tape that's wrapped around hoses/electrical connectors seems to be hanging off in a few places. Wondering if that would happen if they were submerged or maybe they just pressure washed the engine bay. See image. Car didn't smell musty or anything. Still had new car smell in fact.

Last edited:

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
anyone check their engine? Going to buy tomorrow if it passes my final inspection (using the great checklist from this forum) Build date is 9/18, so looking through the Recall/TSB sticky, I think this truck avoided many of the earlier issues. Just 2 recalls (loose negative cable and brake pedal), with the brake pedal an open recall.

2019 Ram Rebel Crew Cab with
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Level 2 Equipment Group
Trailer-Tow Group
Granite Crystal Met. Clear-Coat Exterior Pain

one owner
2,773 miles
$44,998

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder.

So I checked mine and it’s VERY MINIMAL patina surface rust. Light dermal could remove it.

It’s certainly surface rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B4RTL3Y-94

Reaction score
I know this is old but just got a 2022 ram 1500 laramie last weekend brand new and noticed the rust in the same exact spot not even 500 miles I flipped out so hard in my head I was determined to march in the dealership and ask wtf was this?!?! I'm so glad I've came across this forum site its saved me from what couldve been a few embarrassing confrontations! I plan on getting in there the best I can and do some light rust removal and then tape off and touch up the rust spots that are the easiest visible with rustoleum just to make it more appealing to me.

Attachments

• 20230210_210238.jpg
    20230210_210238.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread