5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running High Coolant temp

nlv_gonzalez

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi, switched out my thermostat to a 180, my coolant temp haves be as up as 246 and my e fan sounds louder then normal, Any ideas why its running extra hot is it normal to run that hot

nlv_gonzalez

Reaction score
both temp gauge show normal, it sometimes goes just passed a lil half way but then goes back to running at 230

U

User_3336

Curious, why did you switch the thermostat to a 180 in the first place?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi, switched out my thermostat to a 180, my coolant temp haves be as up as 246 and my e fan sounds louder then normal, Any ideas why its running extra hot is it normal to run that hot

Two thoughts:

1) It is possible to put a thermostat in backwards.

2) If you change to a significantly cooler thermostat without also changing the fan temperature setpoints, you may be running with the thermostat wide open and the ECU trying to control temperature with only the fan, which will have a lot more lag and may cause wider temperature swings than the stock thermostat.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

2) If you change to a significantly cooler thermostat without also changing the fan temperature setpoints, you may be running with the thermostat wide open and the ECU trying to control temperature with only the fan, which will have a lot more lag and may cause wider temperature swings than the stock thermostat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This
OEM is 203 degree tstat

U

User_3336

Well stated!

nlv_gonzalez

Reaction score
Two thoughts:

Thank you! I’m assuming I can adjust the set points when I have a tune. Just waiting for my unlocked pcm to arrive and I’ll be able to make that adjustment

Rebond

Reaction score
There's also the chance the T-stat is bad even being new.

Stant sold out years ago. They used to be the best, but not so much anymore. My 180 Stant temps varied greatly, so I purchased another from Rock Auto, a GATES 34253S 180 premium and it's worked very well.

You really should program the fans with a tuner to get the most out of it.

GMetal

Reaction score
Did you vac all the air out? Maybe an air pocket? Could also be a bad T-stat. A cooler T-stat would not need new fan temp points. The ECM only does what its told to do. I believe the fan set points are variable and the fans ramp up as the temp increases. Do you still have active shutters? Are they closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/