5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running board suggestions needed

U

User_21361

Nice looking truck! I would bet based on how dialed in your truck is that you did a bunch of research on the steps/rail sliders you got. Similar to what you said above, I need a little assist for my kids and wife to be able to crawl up into the truck. Generally I'm not a fan of the side steps. I think they're ugly and take away from the aesthetics of the lift. I don't like how they stick out either. I like the idea of the electric ones that extend but those are too heavy, I do a lot of towing and need my payload for people and gear not steps.

Anyway, yours look really nice. They're sleek. They don't stick out. Were there others besides the Go Rhino DSS you chose that you liked?

I think my preference would be to find some aluminum ones for weight considerations but yours is the nicest looking setup I've seen. Just curious what else you considered. I'll also have mine shot with Line-X. Love the Line-X in the bed of the truck.
Sorry for the late reply. I spent a lot of time looking for low profile running boards with very little success. If I had to do it again, I'm not sold on these ones. The ones I have look good, are functional and are sunk cost. I do think they are the best on the market, but not what I ideally want. The right answer from my prospective are sliders with a single, bolt on, back step for the kids. Weight is the big killer with this setup, also what I described would have to be custom. The running boards I have with bed liner weigh 90 lbs total where the sliders I've seen clock in at 200 lbs at least. The one added bonus of steps is that it does protect the paint from dirt and snow splashing from the tires.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I spent a lot of time looking for low profile running boards with very little success. If I had to do it again, I'm not sold on these ones. The ones I have look good, are functional and are sunk cost. I do think they are the best on the market, but not what I ideally want. The right answer from my prospective are sliders with a single, bolt on, back step for the kids. Weight is the big killer with this setup, also what I described would have to be custom. The running boards I have with bed liner weigh 90 lbs total where the sliders I've seen clock in at 200 lbs at least. The one added bonus of steps is that it does protect the paint from dirt and snow splashing from the tires.

Much appreciated!

I've thought the same thing regarding the ideal setup. I don't need a step myself and I don't want to bang my shins on one while I'm getting in and out. The kids really need some help however and the wife. Given the amount of heavy towing I do I'm also concerned about weight. 90lbs isn't too awful compared to others I've seen.

Hm. I think I'm going to give yours a try.

schmidtp43

Reaction score
Just installed these over the weekend, they were on backorder for a few months. When retracted gives the look of a rock slider but extended gives a perfect step. Light is a nice touch but probably not necessary since the mirror puddle lights are bright enough.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
photo_2021-11-04_15-04-01.jpg
I went with cheap running boards from Amazon, $240. https://amzn.to/3e2mXyR
10 out 10 in terms of comfort getting in and out, easy to install. Few years of heavy use and they still look like new. They definitely suck off road, but "off road style" running boards are way less comfortable for my wife. Thinking about OEM power running boards somewhere in the future since they look great, do not touch rocks during off road, and still very comfortable. Can't justify spending $1000+ on that idea.

Bama2020

Reaction score
View attachment 67088 View attachment 67089
I just bought my first Dodge Ram this weekend and am needing suggestions on some running boards that would look good on her. Pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Im runnin these Aries Rocker style running boards.... I wanted something a little different than the avg dude is runnin....white Ram1500 is mine and other one is the info for Amazon incase they catch your eye.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-080125_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-080125_Gallery.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20211216-040556_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-040556_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20211204-145753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-145753_Gallery.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 59

Yangster

Reaction score
OEM powered running boards! Love them and so does the wife. She was pissed when I ordered this. Says it's too big! Won't drive it, but loves the luxury, ride, height and the powered running boards. I think the PRB's saved my ***! LOL

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Much appreciated!

I've thought the same thing regarding the ideal setup. I don't need a step myself and I don't want to bang my shins on one while I'm getting in and out. The kids really need some help however and the wife. Given the amount of heavy towing I do I'm also concerned about weight. 90lbs isn't too awful compared to others I've seen.

Hm. I think I'm going to give yours a try.

Do you mind if I ask where you bought from? Good experience?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have come in here and said power boards no question but I'm already having an issue with mine.

Driver's side is making a loud squeaking/sputtering noise whenever it goes in and out that it wasn't making before, and that the passenger side board isn't making. Less than 3k miles and I'm off to the dealer already. Sigh 😩

Sixshooter54

Reaction score
I just had the power running boards installed at the dealer. I didn't really want running boards, but you know what they say, happy wife, happy life. She is very happy with them and I can live with them tucked up out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread