5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules of Engagement: Five-Position Electronically Shifted Transfer Case

Big Tup

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone seen official Ram documentation that specifies, in writing, what the rules/requirements are when using the Electronically shifted transfer case; such as shifting from 2WD to 4WD? I understand it's best to not be moving or going less than 25mph, if possible, before you shift from say 2WD to 4WD, I also understand that the truck is probably smart enough to idiot-proof you from switching from 2WD to 4WD-L while doing 80mph, but i am looking for where these rules may be officially spelled out and documented. The owners manual (pages 170-174) do not address this specifically. The owners manual also mentions you have to meet the "requirements" before shifting the transfer case, but i am unable to find what those "requirements" actually are.

Has anyone seen this documented anywhere officially?

I have a 2021 Ram Limited Long Horn with the 5-position Electronically controlled transfer case.

ben b

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video. It makes things clear. Not certain why this isn't in the owner's manual.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
. The owners manual also mentions you have to meet the "requirements" before shifting the transfer case, but i am unable to find what those "requirements" actually are.

Has anyone seen this documented anywhere officially?

I have a 2021 Ram Limited Long Horn with the 5-position Electronically controlled transfer case.

If it doesn’t meet the requirements. It won’t shift and the light will just flash. It’s a smart tcase.

Shifting into high and auto can be done almost any time. To shift to low the truck has to be stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've shifted from 2wd to 4-high and 4-auto at multiple different speeds. Even shift from 4-high to 2wd under full throttle on the drag strip. Have never had any issues with it not shifting. Going to 4-low is a different situation.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it doesn’t meet the requirements. It won’t shift and the light will just flash. It’s a smart tcase.

Shifting into high and auto can be done almost any time. To shift to low the truck has to be stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shifting to 4 low is best done coasting bellow 5 MPH, but can be done stopped...BUT, the truck must be in TRANSMISSION NEUTRAL.

Everyone seems to forget this. And then blame RAM for a crappy experience.

Good times.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man, what did we do when you had to yank on the lever? If you were not smart about it you heard a bunch of grinding until you stopped or pulled hard enough to engage.

Now with the push button, if it shifts it is ok. If it is not OK it won't shift. This is because the truck is now smarter than the finger pushing the button.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can guarantee the truck will shift smoother and sooner at 70 once you lift off the accelerator than under 25 if accelerating braking or turning.

The key is to be moving and coasting with no accelerator input, brake application or steering input.
The computer senses wheel speed and direction and does not make the shift until all wheels are traveling at the same speed.

My Tradesman has a lever and follows all these same principles, as does my 99 and 85 RAm trucks

The big issue with doing the shift stopped is the front axle disconnect. They are tiny little splines that do not like getting engaged while not meshed.

Just a Reminder....4 low....transmission neutral...⚙️

Users who are viewing this thread