5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubbing Spindle & Lower Control Arm

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I got under truck this morning, I noticed the spindle and lower control arms had rub marks. Both sides same spots...

Any one have input? Is this normal from extra flex off roading?

Or could it be from the geometry on 3.5 Rough Country Lift?

Attachments

• 20190104_110335.jpg
    20190104_110335.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 308
  • 20190104_110330.jpg
    20190104_110330.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 300
Last edited:

Lateralus

Reaction score
Looks like the knuckle is hitting the LCA on full droop. Are your UCAs hitting the coils also?

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Looks like the knuckle is hitting the LCA on full droop. Are your UCAs hitting the coils also?

No coil against uca rubbing, but I inspected further and the knuckle goes over/meshes spindle at full lock turn and there is only like 3/16 clearance. I could se it rubbing at dips or fast turns... it rides great and I don't recall hearing rubbing. (Only once heard a noise) But the marks are there.

I need to check a stock suspension ram and check the diffrence

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you said in another post that you have the offroad package, correct? That means you already have 1" of lift. If you put the full 3.5" kit on, you now have 4.5" of lift. I am betting it is just too much lift without a differential/lower control arm drop so there just isn't enough clearance. Readylift and Rough Country both advise against installing this lift if you have a Rebel or the Offroad Package.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I believe you said in another post that you have the offroad package, correct? That means you already have 1" of lift. If you put the full 3.5" kit on, you now have 4.5" of lift. I am betting it is just too much lift without a differential/lower control arm drop so there just isn't enough clearance. Readylift and Rough Country both advise against installing this lift if you have a Rebel or the Offroad Package.

Yea I have the offroad package, & you may be correct.
I'm waiting on a response from All out, the shop that did the install..

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m a noob and don’t really know what I am looking at. Is ready lift no good? Was considering them for lift.
Readylift makes a solid kit. The 3.5" kit is not a true lift because it is all spacers and doesnt have a differential drop. That being said, these couple trucks that are having issues have the offroad package so already have an extra inch of lift. That is most likely the reason for these problems. Many are running the 3.5" Readyoift with no issues. If it is going to stay on pavement it will be fine. If you are going to be offroading I would stay away from it.

Longhorn

Reaction score
Readylift makes a solid kit. The 3.5" kit is not a true lift because it is all spacers and doesnt have a differential drop. That being said, these couple trucks that are having issues have the offroad package so already have an extra inch of lift. That is most likely the reason for these problems. Many are running the 3.5" Readyoift with no issues. If it is going to stay on pavement it will be fine. If you are going to be offroading I would stay away from it.

If it is going to stay on pavement it will be fine. If you are going to be offroading I would stay away from it. wow , ok , next. Can anyone recommend one that is good for both?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is going to stay on pavement it will be fine. If you are going to be offroading I would stay away from it. wow , ok , next. Can anyone recommend one that is good for both?
Just saying it how it is. The 3.5" kits are fine for people that just want the look. You will need to go with a full lift kit. Only full 6" lifts available at the moment, no 4" kits. Best option would be Fabtech or ProComp at the moment. CST has a 6.5" coming but not sure if it is available yet. BDS has a kit in the works. Rough Country also has a 6" kit but from what I hear you don't want them if you are offroading.

I believe Fabtech had a 4" kit in development and had a picture on their instagram months ago but no word of it since.

Also, when Readylift comes out with a true lift, which they are working on, it wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got under truck this morning, I noticed the spindle and lower control arms had rub marks. Both sides same spots...

Any one have input? Is this normal from extra flex off roading?

Or could it be from the geometry on 3.5 Rough Country Lift?
It’s not from lift. Stock lvl will do that. It’s turn lock end. A mechanical stop if you will if turned ‘lock to lock’

Dontfront82

Reaction score
It’s not from lift. Stock lvl will do that. It’s turn lock end. A mechanical stop if you will if turned ‘lock to lock’

Yes, u may also be correct. I'm still looking into it. Going to the shop next weekend

Dontfront82

Reaction score
ya get whatcha pay for (n)

I'm glad the dealer paid for mine.
But I'm still trying to figure out if it's fr I'm full lock turns or actual r.c lift. I'm going to shop this coming weekend

Dontfront82

Reaction score
Just saying it how it is. The 3.5" kits are fine for people that just want the look. You will need to go with a full lift kit. Only full 6" lifts available at the moment, no 4" kits. Best option would be Fabtech or ProComp at the moment. CST has a 6.5" coming but not sure if it is available yet. BDS has a kit in the works. Rough Country also has a 6" kit but from what I hear you don't want them if you are offroading.

I believe Fabtech had a 4" kit in development and had a picture on their instagram months ago but no word of it since.

Also, when Readylift comes out with a true lift, which they are working on, it wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Yea this is my for now lift till a full 4" comes out

Rebelocity

Reaction score
Man this looks bad, mine has the spindle rub at the lower c.a knuckle.. but the coil/control arm clearance isn't this tight at all. I have plenty of clearance everywhere till full lock turn like at said then it's still 3/16 or so

I have the same issue right now!

Were you able to figure out the issue?

IowaRam

Reaction score
Following as I just lifted my truck 3.5" and am having same problem with the knuckle horns contacting lower control arm causing my truck's front end to dip at full lock turn.

Jleeman9

Reaction score
Having same issue, just noticing it after install RC 3.5 lift. Anyone eventually figure it out?

IowaRam

Reaction score
I spoke with Readylift and they say this is common and expected with the 3.5" lift. I ground down the horn to make them less wide and allowed a larger tolerance. At full lock, the horn now fits in between the tabs on the lower control arm. This stopped the front end dip and haven't experienced any problems over 5k miles. It may be worth noting that I also looked at the 4th gen knuckle horns and LCA tabs and on the 4th gen there was much more space for the horn to fit in between the tabs, so I tried to replicate similar tolerance as the 4th gens.

Users who are viewing this thread