5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country or Readylift 3.5" lift

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am waiting for my new truck to get here and am ready to start getting some accessories purchased to install as soon as it comes in. I have been looking at the Readylift 3.5" SST kit and the Rough Country 3.5" kit. They seem almost identical but there are a few differences. I am trying to get some feedback on these kits from people who may have either one. Here are a few of the main differences:

* Rough Country is $300 cheaper
* Rough Country comes with Rear Shocks. Readylift says it doesn't need new longer travel rear shocks.
* Rough Country uses a max tire of 295/20/20. Readylift says you can go 35x12.50/20 with a +18mm offset. Not sure if this is realistic.

Both kits seem to have good reviews and should be well made. My main concern is keeping a quality ride. I am planning on putting fuel Mavericks on it, with an AT tire.
Any feedback is welcomed.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am waiting for my new truck to get here and am ready to start getting some accessories purchased to install as soon as it comes in. I have been looking at the Readylift 3.5" SST kit and the Rough Country 3.5" kit. They seem almost identical but there are a few differences. I am trying to get some feedback on these kits from people who may have either one. Here are a few of the main differences:

* Rough Country is $300 cheaper
* Rough Country comes with Rear Shocks. Readylift says it doesn't need new longer travel rear shocks.
* Rough Country uses a max tire of 295/20/20. Readylift says you can go 35x12.50/20 with a +18mm offset. Not sure if this is realistic.

Both kits seem to have good reviews and should be well made. My main concern is keeping a quality ride. I am planning on putting fuel Mavericks on it, with an AT tire.
Any feedback is welcomed.
Greetings Rammit. Just replied to you back on my “All fixed up “thread. As you know, I have the 3 1/2” Rough Country. I do have 35x12.5’s on wheels with a zero offset and they did rub slightly. If you had these same tires and lift with a stock wheel offset (+17 or +18) I do not believe they would rub at all. The ride is still surprisingly smooth as well.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings Rammit. Just replied to you back on my “All fixed up “thread. As you know, I have the 3 1/2” Rough Country. I do have 35x12.5’s on wheels with a zero offset and they did rub slightly. If you had these same tires and lift with a stock wheel offset (+17 or +18) I do not believe they would rub at all. The ride is still surprisingly smooth as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the rough country but didn’t want to limit my tire options.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go Readylift! I'll see if I can find the video but the quality difference between the two is huge.
Here it is. I had already went with the Readylift strut spacer with control arms only since they were first to the market, but glad I did. I'm seriously considering ordering the rest of the kit to turn it into the 3.5" lift.

For the record, I do know plenty of people that run Rough Country lifts with zero issues, but this video scared me away. Looking at the two side by side, the Readylift is a much sturdier product.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here it is. I had already went with the Readylift strut spacer with control arms only since they were first to the market, but glad I did. I'm seriously considering ordering the rest of the kit to turn it into the 3.5" lift.

For the record, I do know plenty of people that run Rough Country lifts with zero issues, but this video scared me away. Looking at the two side by side, the Readylift is a much sturdier product.
Thanks for posting that. When you look at the pics on line they seem very similar. Looking at that comparison is pretty eye opening. I have been trying to compare these for a while and haven’t found any side by side comparisons before.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. When you look at the pics on line they seem very similar. Looking at that comparison is pretty eye opening. I have been trying to compare these for a while and haven’t found any side by side comparisons before.
I hadn't either until somebody posted this video on another forum. Kind of shocking how big of a difference there is.

19BlkRam

Reaction score
Ordered my Readylift kit today it’s back ordered till September 5th which sucks! But worth the wait as it’s a superior product. I was waiting for a full suspension lift but honestly I will never take this truck off-road so a 3.5 inch lift is plenty for looking pretty at the boat ramp.

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin C

Reaction score
I had ordered the Rough Country 3.5" lift, and someone posted that video above for me as a heads up. I decided to cancel the order and moved to ReadyLift. Who knows? Maybe the Rough Country would have been fine, but I figured I wouldn't take any chances. My ReadyLift 3.5" just came in and is getting installed Friday.

19BlkRam

Reaction score
I had ordered the Rough Country 3.5" lift, and someone posted that video above for me as a heads up. I decided to cancel the order and moved to ReadyLift. Who knows? Maybe the Rough Country would have been fine, but I figured I wouldn't take any chances. My ReadyLift 3.5" just came in and is getting installed Friday.

Awesome, I just got a tracking number my parts arrive on Saturday.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered my Readylift kit today it’s back ordered till September 5th which sucks! But worth the wait as it’s a superior product. I was waiting for a full suspension lift but honestly I will never take this truck off-road so a 3.5 inch lift is plenty for looking pretty at the boat ramp.

Good luck with your decision.
That's kind of where I'm at. My truck will never see offroad and will only get put in 4wd maybe a couple times a year. I'm sure the Readylift kit would be just fine in my situation since my truck wont wver be taking any abuse. I already have the Readylift control arms and leveling kit, so it wouldn't take much to get the other components. I guess the biggest thing is I need to decide if the 3.5 will be enough lift for me, or if I want to go to a 6" kit instead, which I'm thinking may be a little too much.

Kevin C

Reaction score
The Ridge Grapplers are nice. In other trucks, I've had Toyo M/T's, Toyo A/T's, BFG A/T's, Cooper tires, and more.

These Nitto's seem to be a nice combo tire. Pretty aggressive looks, but not too much road noise. The sidewall is stiffer than the stock tires obviously, so the ride does firm up a bit with them, but that will be true with most any aftermarket "terrain" tire.

I haven't had any opportunities to see how they do in the mud, snow or rain, so it's all been dry pavement and dusty fire roads thus far.

Overall, I would buy them again so far (again, I haven't tested them off the pavement yet).

Kevin C

Reaction score
Truck looks great. I ordered my Readylift this week along with Maverick wheels. How do you like the ridge grapplers? I’m debating on what tires and size to go with.

FYI, I did a "review" of the initial thoughts on the Readylift on a different site. Here you go if interested:

Well, I finally got my lift installed. First off, the pics don't do it justice in my opinion. The truck looks significantly beefy now, even with the 295/60R20s (rather than the 35's some people are going with). I could fit a little more tire in there, but the proportions are pretty spot on for me (still allowing a little wheel well to show, rather than being completely full with 35's).

I love the look.

The one downside is that the ride is noticeably stiffer than stock. Not crazy stiff, but noticeably stiffer. I can feel more bumps, and it doesn't seem as glued to the road as stock (or even with the 2" leveling spacer I took off to have this installed). Time will tell if this is a big deal to me or not (I've driven maybe 40 miles since picking up the truck earlier today). I've said repeatedly that I love the refinement of the Gen5's. My initial feelings is that this takes away a little of the refinement.

I don't want to overstate it - it still rides 100 times better than my Gen3 does. But it is not as smooth as it was before the lift was installed.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my 20x9 fuel Mavericks and the Readylift kit this week. The truck should be here soon. Still have to decide on a tire but I’m leaning toward the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Kevin C

Reaction score
I ordered my 20x9 fuel Mavericks and the Readylift kit this week. The truck should be here soon. Still have to decide on a tire but I’m leaning toward the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Which Mavericks did you get? Black?

jamesfg

Reaction score
We had a 6" on her 09 Tundra and only a handful of times we encountered parking problems. It's all about where ya live and where you commute to.

Users who are viewing this thread