5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Country Grill Lights and Hidden bumper Light

zlman

Reaction score
I really like the grill lights but no way, no how, will I be removing all the grill and bumper parts.

chrisbphotog

Reaction score
Haha...that's funny. Can't say I blame you. About 1/2 way thru realized how much work it was. Was quite a bit of work, but really happy with it. Glad I did it, but damn.
I'm getting mine done today at my local shop. I'd like to say I'm mechanically inclined to do the the install myself but I'm not.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I'm getting mine done today at my local shop. I'd like to say I'm mechanically inclined to do the the install myself but I'm not.
For what it is worth, I did the 3 way switch and tied into high beams...that is the way I normally keep it...so just goes on/off w/ high beams, but can also turn on anytime with switch. Works great.

DocDiRyder

Reaction score
Gentlemen: Just wanted to post some pics of my Rough Country Grill Lights and Hidden Bumper Light Install. I did the light install but took it to my Local Shop to do the wiring, mostly because I could not find switches that I liked and thought would look good in the dash. I am more then happy with the outcome
WHere did the go through the firewall?

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
WHere did the go through the firewall?
In front of drivers side...here are some pix. I know the cables could be cleaner...haha. I went old school and just cut it and used a hanger.

Attachments

• Pix - 1 (2).jpeg
    Pix - 1 (2).jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Pix - 2 (1).jpeg
    Pix - 2 (1).jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Pix - 3 (1).jpeg
    Pix - 3 (1).jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 203

whetrick1

Reaction score
In front of drivers side...here are some pix. I know the cables could be cleaner...haha. I went old school and just cut it and used a hanger.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
what color is the high beam wire?
It was white with green stripe. I think there are two of these and it is the thicker one (I know). I disconnected the larger connector from the lights. Then I put the wire from the relay into the connector to test to make sure I got the correct wire before I put the T-Tap into the wire. I believe it was the 3rd one in from the side on the Ram connector. It was a little difficult to get to it all...a little buried and lots of tape to expose wire...but worth it in the end. Let me know if you need more details.

cnnr_thomp

Reaction score
It was white with green stripe. I think there are two of these and it is the thicker one (I know). I disconnected the larger connector from the lights. Then I put the wire from the relay into the connector to test to make sure I got the correct wire before I put the T-Tap into the wire. I believe it was the 3rd one in from the side on the Ram connector. It was a little difficult to get to it all...a little buried and lots of tape to expose wire...but worth it in the end. Let me know if you need more details.
Thank you!! Huge help

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I just installed the RC20 hidden grill light yesterday. Removed the bumper and replaced the lower grill. Pain in the butt and also happy to get the bumper all back together. Now that the light is mounted, I still need to wire it. Ideally I will have the amber DRL feature of the light bar come on with the side DRL marker lights on the headlights with ability to turn off on the supplied switch. Anyone know how to wire this? This is all they gave me in the box (photo attached). Looks like they did not supply a relay. Which relay do I need? Anyone have a wiring diagram for the headlights? Just trying figure this dang thing out. Thanks!

Attachments

• 081FB70C-9AEE-4A3B-9771-4E089A9B5B5E.jpeg
    081FB70C-9AEE-4A3B-9771-4E089A9B5B5E.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I just installed the RC20 hidden grill light yesterday. Removed the bumper and replaced the lower grill. Pain in the butt and also happy to get the bumper all back together. Now that the light is mounted, I still need to wire it. Ideally I will have the amber DRL feature of the light bar come on with the side DRL marker lights on the headlights with ability to turn off on the supplied switch. Anyone know how to wire this? This is all they gave me in the box (photo attached). Looks like they did not supply a relay. Which relay do I need? Anyone have a wiring diagram for the headlights? Just trying figure this dang thing out. Thanks!
Did you buy this directly from RC? Looks like from 3rd party since it does not have the relay, also different switch. I changed out my switch also and tied into my high beams vs DRL. Sorry but won't be able to help much on the DRL, but may want to talk to RC about the relay. If you bought directly, tell them to supply you the right stuff including relay.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Did you buy this directly from RC? Looks like from 3rd party since it does not have the relay, also different switch. I changed out my switch also and tied into my high beams vs DRL. Sorry but won't be able to help much on the DRL, but may want to talk to RC about the relay. If you bought directly, tell them to supply you the right stuff including relay.
I did buy this directly from RC. I will contact them. I am also thinking of simply avoiding the relay and connecting it to the spare AUX post in the engine fuse box. My thought is that if I did that then whenever the truck turns on, if the rocker switch is set to DRL then then it would turn on with the truck and also turn off with the truck so there is no fear of leaving it on all the time in DRL mode. I wonder if this would be a better/easier way than splicing into the headlight marker lights with a relay. Do you know how to hook it up to the AUX post in the fusebox? would I need to put the fuse on the wire connecting to the post or add a fuse inside the box somewhere? I am an amateur.

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
I did buy this directly from RC. I will contact them. I am also thinking of simply avoiding the relay and connecting it to the spare AUX post in the engine fuse box. My thought is that if I did that then whenever the truck turns on, if the rocker switch is set to DRL then then it would turn on with the truck and also turn off with the truck so there is no fear of leaving it on all the time in DRL mode. I wonder if this would be a better/easier way than splicing into the headlight marker lights with a relay. Do you know how to hook it up to the AUX post in the fusebox? would I need to put the fuse on the wire connecting to the post or add a fuse inside the box somewhere? I am an amateur.
Sorry but I don't. I did read somewhere on these boards that someone else did. Maybe you are able to search this site and find who did that. I am not an expert either...was scared I could not put my front back together also. Haha.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I am looking at getting both lights myself and just changed the lower mesh grille out today. Has anyone tried to install the 20 inch bar without taking off the bumper? When under the truck doing the lower grille it looks like there is plenty of room to just do it under the truck without having to take the whole bumper off. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I am looking at getting both lights myself and just changed the lower mesh grille out today. Has anyone tried to install the 20 inch bar without taking off the bumper? When under the truck doing the lower grille it looks like there is plenty of room to just do it under the truck without having to take the whole bumper off. Anyone have any ideas?

How did the install go? I imagine with the bumper on that removing all the push pins for the grill and little screws would be a royal pain but doable with a strain neck and scratches all over arms. A lift would help.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I actually don't have it yet.. i did see another form about removing the air dam in general which I liked and completed over the weekend there is tons of room now. Once I jack the front of the truck up I can sit under the front part behind the bumper and do the install with no neck problems! Should be a breeze..

asac12

Reaction score
Are the 6-inch grille lights too bright to use as DRL's? I prefer not to drill for a dedicated switch in my interior. Can these lights be tied to the Laramie accent lights and always be on?

HockeyCowboy

Reaction score
Are the 6-inch grille lights too bright to use as DRL's? I prefer not to drill for a dedicated switch in my interior. Can these lights be tied to the Laramie accent lights and always be on?
Personally I would not leave them on all the time. Also not sure if you suggest leaving on at night also, but they would definitely be in the eyes of oncoming traffic. Probably get a lot of flashing lights at you. See what others think.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
which wire for the low beam.plan to hook them to some light strips i have in the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread