5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotors and pads dilema

Adamczyk92

Reaction score
I’ve been chasing this problem with my front passenger tire for months now. It all started with a rotational chirping noise while driving. Changed out all rotors and pads and noise came back. Changed out wheel hub and did alignment as well as front rotors and pads again. The noise came back again. This time warrantied out the rotors and pads and also new front calipers. Noise went away for a couple days and now back again. The chirping sound goes away once brake pressures applied but now squeaks like the pad is low when braking. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been chasing this problem with my front passenger tire for months now. It all started with a rotational chirping noise while driving. Changed out all rotors and pads and noise came back. Changed out wheel hub and did alignment as well as front rotors and pads again. The noise came back again. This time warrantied out the rotors and pads and also new front calipers. Noise went away for a couple days and now back again. The chirping sound goes away once brake pressures applied but now squeaks like the pad is low when braking. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution?
Have you ever done the proper bed in procedure on the pads and rotors after you changed them? You shouldn't just slap brand new pads and rotors on, then drive like normal without doing the bed in procedure.

RedFred

Reaction score
Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with your tire or rim? Seems like you ruled out everything else. Have you tried rotating your tires to see if it makes a difference?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is this procedure?
Depending on where you look, it varies, but general principle. After changing the brakes, find a straight stretch of road with little to no traffic(hard to do within city limits).

Start with 3-4 hard slow downs from ~40-45mph to 5mph. Don't come to a complete stop. This heats the brakes up. Then drive for a couple minutes without using brakes, if possible

Then complete 3-4 hard slow downs from 60mph to 5-10mph. Once again don't come to a complete stop. It's very possible the brakes will smoke some and you will smell hot brakes. But that's why you never come to a complete stop. The purpose is to embed brake pad material into the rotors to assist with braking.

Once you have completed the second set of slow downs, drive back home, trying to use the brakes as lightly and little as possible. Then let the vehicle sit until brakes have completely cooled off.

When making your slow downs you want to use hard braking. Basically just before the point of the ABS kicking in. This procedure also helps to smooth out brakes that have developed pulsing when braking. 9 times out of 10, it's not warped rotors, that most people blame it on, but an uneven build up of brake pad material. Usually caused by having to make a hard stop, and then sitting, with brakes applied, in one spot,with hot brakes. I have "fixed" pulsing brakes on multiple vehicles this way. Saving the owner from replacing rotors that didn't need replaced.

I have also conditioned myself to stop short on stop lights so I can creep forward some to prevent the pads from sitting in the same spot on hot rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread