5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotary shifter “D” blinking

jeffauclair

Reaction score
I had this issue yesterday. Was driving normally and suddenly the truck went on neutral and the “D” on the rotary shifter went blinking. EVIC message says “ please put shifter to “P”.
All is fine since that little bug. So I did some research and found this.

As everyone ever experienced this? Is what this guys saying make sense?

Attachments

• C01EC59B-2EB6-459A-8055-BDE413F63383.jpeg
    C01EC59B-2EB6-459A-8055-BDE413F63383.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 130

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue yesterday. Was driving normally and suddenly the truck went on neutral and the “D” on the rotary shifter went blinking. EVIC message says “ please put shifter to “P”.
All is fine since that little bug. So I did some research and found this.

As everyone ever experienced this? Is what this guys saying make sense?
He says there's nothing wrong with it???? Lmao!!!. Never heard of this. The explanation makes sense, but saying that it's normal is not correct. I would make an appointment for the service center to take a look, make sure the transmission software is up to date and all. It's a more serious problem if the engine stalled too...hope that didn't happen.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, also happens in this scenario:
Doors closed, start car, put in drive, open door, pull away and you will have the blinking D, neutral with parking brake applied.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, also happens in this scenario:
Doors closed, start car, put in drive, open door, pull away and you will have the blinking D, neutral with parking brake applied.
That part is actually normal...it's a safety feature. I think there's a way to disable it but I haven't bothered trying.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He says there's nothing wrong with it???? Lmao!!!. Never heard of this. The explanation makes sense, but saying that it's normal is not correct. I would make an appointment for the service center to take a look, make sure the transmission software is up to date and all. It's a more serious problem if the engine stalled too...hope that didn't happen.
I think what he's saying is the transmission actually did what it's supposed to do in that situation, which I agree with. He's not saying the event was normal, just that the problem is not related to transmission, but something else. The trans went to neutral to avoid lugging the engine at such a low rpm.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think what he's saying is the transmission actually did what it's supposed to do in that situation, which I agree with. He's not saying the event was normal, just that the problem is not related to transmission, but something else. The trans went to neutral to avoid lugging the engine at such a low rpm.
Maybe...in that circumstance. But OP stated he was just driving normally when it occurred so it could definitely be the transmission.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe...in that circumstance. But OP stated he was just driving normally when it occurred so it could definitely be the transmission.
he was driving normally when the engine suddenly dropped RPM's! It's an engine control/cam pos sensor/crank sensor most likely....transmission saved the engine.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
he was driving normally when the engine suddenly dropped RPM's! It's an engine control/cam pos sensor/crank sensor most likely....transmission saved the engine.
Maybe so but what caused the problem in the first place? Only the faulty sensor? You can't be sure, that's why I recommended that he bring it into the service center. I'm not disagreeing with you but we can't say for sure what it is or is not.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe so but what caused the problem in the first place? Only the faulty sensor? You can't be sure, that's why I recommended that he bring it into the service center. I'm not disagreeing with you but we can't say for sure what it is or is not.
ok..lol. I think maybe your thinking that I was saying everything is ok..I'm not. All I was saying is whatever the problem, the transmission went into a fail-safe mode, and appears to have done what it is supposed to do under the circumstance, (sudden drop in RPM's.)..now ...WHY the engine almost died is a whole other story. Sorry for any confusion.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
This happened to mine once about a year ago. I was stopped at a red light on a hill when it did the blinky D and message. Thankfully there was no one behind me, since it took me about 15 seconds to figure out what was going on, but flipping to P and back to D solved the issue and it hasn't happened since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online