5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof top solar

Sounds about right. Gobs of money for little energy. The way of the green!
yeap. that's why my solar setup is only for creature comforts like running starlink gen 2 (quite power hungry), fridge, camper lights, laptop, diesel heater lol

my friends joke that i got an EV but coming from someone who sold his raptor for a Tesla model 3 "for adulting"... that's hilarious lol

The thought was a 1-2-off battery switch. I could select where the power is being distributed to through that switch, select started battery or portable. Not charge both at the same time but choose one.

Also this is a video I found on mounting the flex panels... He has a long term update which show it worked well
you SHOULD be fine with leaving it charging on the starting battery as long as you body ground it.
and those tapes... good luck with your paint when it comes time to replace the panels lol panels degrade overtime and no panel lasts forever.

tbh, if you're worried about the starting battery failing, just bring a noco jumper with you. i brought mine with me on the 50 day 12.7k miles trip and i used it to hold down papers and paper plates instead.
if you're worried about the 12.4v while driving, there's nothing to worry about. that is completely normal during cruising.
if you just want to charge your house battery while not damaging your paint with no camper or bed rack to mount your panel on, then just do portable panels and set them up while camping, or just do a DC-DC w/ MPPT so you can harness the energy from when engine's running and use solar as a secondary source.

you SHOULD be fine with leaving it charging on the starting battery as long as you body ground it.
and those tapes... good luck with your paint when it comes time to replace the panels lol panels degrade overtime and no panel lasts forever.

tbh, if you're worried about the starting battery failing, just bring a noco jumper with you. i brought mine with me on the 50 day 12.7k miles trip and i used it to hold down papers and paper plates instead.
if you're worried about the 12.4v while driving, there's nothing to worry about. that is completely normal during cruising.
if you just want to charge your house battery while not damaging your paint with no camper or bed rack to mount your panel on, then just do portable panels and set them up while camping, or just do a DC-DC w/ MPPT so you can harness the energy from when engine's running and use solar as a secondary source.
How did you wire your DC/DC charger? Also where did you connect ignition wire,? I may go that path

How did you wire your DC/DC charger? Also where did you connect ignition wire,? I may go that path
DCDC wired from starting battery, ign is tapped to my switch pro 9100, which is ign triggered and also powers the backlights of my BD lp9, so when the engine's running the two little amber lights in the LP9 are on as well as the charger.
runnign to the bed go with 6 or 8 awg. I started with 8 thinking it was enough but eventually swapped to 6 awg to handle more load over longer distances. the ign trigger can be just a 14awg wire.

be sure to run a Blue Sea 60A circuit breaker in the front as well. not china sea, Blue Sea.

this is a very simple overview of my setup. take a look.

They will not because it has not thrown error codes besides when the battery dies. The 48v tested slightly low but not low enough for their specs to replace. My thoughts are it's with the communication inside the 48v of when to charge the starter battery
This should not be so difficult, if the 48 volt battery is getting charged and the 12 volt one is not, what is left? Not saying the DC-DC converter is bad but the 48 volt pack is in control.
They already shotgunned with the MGU, why not continue with the same troubleshooting tactic and replace the 48 V pack.
12 volt battery charging block diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I don`t leave home without my permanently mounted jump battery. Pardon the clutter, could not find an image with just the battery.
View attachment 191591
clutter? that's no clutter!
the LiFEPO4 I got in the back is not rated for jumpstarting but that's totally fine with me lol

if my noco dies because I forgot to charge it and I need it... I deserve to be stranded.

This should not be so difficult, if the 48 volt battery is getting charged and the 12 volt one is not, what is left? Not saying the DC-DC converter is bad but the 48 volt pack is in control.
They already shotgunned with the MGU, why not continue with the same troubleshooting tactic and replace the 48 V pack.
View attachment 191590
Cost. That's the simple answer, the dealer will not get reimbursed for the 48v replacement unless a star tech approves it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back