5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof rack?

antwon412

Reaction score
Does anybody make a roof rack fir our trucks? I like the Prinsu rack made for Tacomas. Something with configurable racks so I don’t black my panoramic sunroof all the time.
Here is Prinsu rack for reference-
53075720-85B7-4D5A-BF97-7F8A57C60A99.jpeg

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
I emailed Prinsu a few weeks ago, and it sounds like they have no interest in making racks for the rams. Some nonsense about the antenna. :rolleyes: I'm sure they'll make something eventually, but don't hold your breath.

I haven't been able to find any "platform" style racks for the new Rams. I think you can find crossbar types (Thule, Yakima, etc.), but nothing from Prinsu/Front Runner/etc.

I'm thinking about building my own (80/20 & aluminum plate, lots of YouTube vids), but won't be able to start anything until the new year. Maybe something will be available by then. To be honest, every time I start looking for aftermarket stuff, I keep thinking I should have bought a Tundra. :confused: I guess patience is key when buying a new-model vehicle.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front Runner just came out with a Slimline II roof rack option for the crew cab. It requires drilling, so is semi-permanent, but it looks like you could replace the ditch rails pretty easily if you decide to remove it.

You can add or remove slats, so that should hopefully make room for the sunroof.

Last edited:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I emailed Front Runner today asking what the weight capacity for the roof rack is on a Ram 1500 crew cab, and received this answer:
Thank you for reaching out! We arent able to calculate an accurate rating for the roof rack systems due to multiple factors such as terrain, driving style and load distribution. We do recommend basing your load rating off of the OEM roof load ratings since our rack will always be stronger than the roof of the vehicle it is on.
Pretty much a non-answer, but I understand they probably have to say that for liability reasons (and, to their credit, they answered my question quickly).

I looked in the manual to find the OEM roof load ratings and found no numbers, but I did find this:
In order for the SABICs [Side Airbag Inflatable Curains] to work as intended, do not install any accessory items in your vehicle which could alter the roof. Do not add an aftermarket sunroof to your vehicle. Do not add roof racks that require permanent attachments (bolts or screws) for installation on the vehicle roof. Do not drill into the roof of the vehicle for any reason.
This rack permanently mounts with screws, and requires drilling into the roof of the vehicle.

Despite all this, I ordered the rack, and will mount a rooftop tent on it. I currently have the tent mounted over the bed with a Yakima Overhaul HD and a Retrax XR, which makes it tough to load bikes and such into the bed. So now, the tent will be above the cab.

Wish me luck.

A (not very good) photo of my current setup is below. I'll post a photo of the Front Runner setup once I've received it and installed it.

roofnest.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to cancel my order; I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig for putting a 160lbs tent on my roof. For something lighter, this might be a good option (though Ram's warning still concerns me).

I've never purchased anything from Front Runner, but let me give them kudos for both interesting products and good customer service. When I requested cancelation, they responded in less than ten minutes with the following:
Thank you for reaching out. I went ahead and canceled that order for you. I understand why you would be concerned. Your safety is a much higher priority. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
I appreciate that sort of customer service, which is not something I see often.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One more option: Rhino Rack now lists 5th gen Ram Crew Cab compatibility. They state the on-road capacity at 70kg/154lbs. That's below the weight of my tent (160lbs), and off-road capacity is closer to 100 lbs. (They, like Front Runner, Yakima, etc. all instruct looking up the manufacturer's stated roof capacity, so the actual capacity could be lower than 160/100 lbs. I couldn't find numbers for the Ram 1500, which makes some sense given the warning I quoted earlier).

So looks like a roof rack is not appropriate for my purpose, but it's nice to see options opening.

coolhandluchs

Reaction score
Found something online stating that rule-of-thumb roof weight limit is about 165lbs. These heavy-duty racks can weigh about 70lbs. That leaves less than 100lbs for everything else, and that's static, not dynamic.

So, for most vehicles, running a lightweight rack with 3-4 mountain bikes is pretty much maxed out.

Really makes you wonder about those folks running fuel, water, tools, spare tires and everything else on their roofs, eh?

saylor

Reaction score
you need dude to make one the guy in AZ that was making rock sliders. i told him i need a roof rack also, theres 2 sold right there.

@Ryno_B79 ^^

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Found something online stating that rule-of-thumb roof weight limit is about 165lbs. These heavy-duty racks can weigh about 70lbs. That leaves less than 100lbs for everything else, and that's static, not dynamic.

So, for most vehicles, running a lightweight rack with 3-4 mountain bikes is pretty much maxed out.

Really makes you wonder about those folks running fuel, water, tools, spare tires and everything else on their roofs, eh?
I did come across that 165lbs figure, not specific to the Ram. But I'm pretty sure that's the dynamic, on-road rating. Static weight limit should be much, much higher: After all, vehicles are required to support a multiple of the vehicles own weight on the roof for rollover protection.

Even so, using Rhino's 1.5 factor for on-road vs off-road dynamic rating, that yields 110 off road. Subtract 66 pounds for the rack itself, and you're left with 44 pounds.

The big question is, is 165 lbs the right figure for a 1500? For my intended purpose, I'd need it to be at least 340, to support a 160lb and 66 pound rack tent off road (1.5 * (160 + 66) = 339 lbs).

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
you need dude to make one the guy in AZ that was making rock sliders. i told him i need a roof rack also, theres 2 sold right there.

@Ryno_B79 ^^
Thanks man. I'm trying my best to get there sooner rather than later. The sliders are done and I am working on bumpers. Roof rack will come after bumpers. I need to get my hands on a truck with Ram Boxes so I can make a rack that works for them as well. My work space is getting over run with jigs. 🤣

saylor

Reaction score
Thanks man. I'm trying my best to get there sooner rather than later. The sliders are done and I am working on bumpers. Roof rack will come after bumpers. I need to get my hands on a truck with Ram Boxes so I can make a rack that works for them as well. My work space is getting over run with jigs. 🤣
i think if you used some square tubing and cantilevered it off a headache rack, with some wedge shaped support gussets at the welds-

you still got my sketch boss ??

:)

Users who are viewing this thread