5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof panel rattle

LossPrev

Reaction score
Thought I'd post up in case anybody else is having this issue. As soon as it got cold out in WI I started getting a fairly frequent rattle from the roof panel in the rear corner of the cab. Not sure if temperature had an effect or just coincidence but it was annoying on the 20 minute drive into town each day.

The good news is it's getting fixed and I didnt even have to pressure the service writer. I literally just mentioned it while getting some recall work done and said I'm sure they "wont be able to replicate" but he replied with he had one other truck with a rattle they fixed but it requires the windshield to come out and the entire roof/sun roof to get taken apart.

Dropped the truck off on Monday and now on Friday still no word on when it'll be complete. I'm in no hurry though since I got a nice loaner. Very happy with the service on this! Must be a somewhat known issue so if you have the rattle make sure they get it fixed.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fixed mine in my driveway last year. Took about 15 minutes to remove all the clips, put backing on them, and slide them back into place.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up in case anybody else is having this issue. As soon as it got cold out in WI I started getting a fairly frequent rattle from the roof panel in the rear corner of the cab. Not sure if temperature had an effect or just coincidence but it was annoying on the 20 minute drive into town each day.

The good news is it's getting fixed and I didnt even have to pressure the service writer. I literally just mentioned it while getting some recall work done and said I'm sure they "wont be able to replicate" but he replied with he had one other truck with a rattle they fixed but it requires the windshield to come out and the entire roof/sun roof to get taken apart.

Dropped the truck off on Monday and now on Friday still no word on when it'll be complete. I'm in no hurry though since I got a nice loaner. Very happy with the service on this! Must be a somewhat known issue so if you have the rattle make sure they get it fixed.

Oh man. I don’t think I’d let anyone do all that to my brand new vehicle for a rattle. I’d tried to track it down myself or at least narrow it down before allowing them to tear all that apart. If they don’t put that back PERFECTLY you can have more rattles and leaks and wind noise, etc. Not trying to scare you, I sincerely hope it works out. If the techs are top notch they will get it right. It would just make me nervous. I might just turn the music up :p

LossPrev

Reaction score
If it wasnt a lease I probably would have gone this route. Worst case scenario if it gets worse or the windshield leaks Chrysler Capital can deal with it in a year in addition to it going back to the service department and I'll drive a loaner.

varnerme

Reaction score
I had a rattle as well and after the dealer couldn't fix, I applied some silicone all around the pano sunroof frame and seals and it is very quiet now. I think the rubber seal was rubbing against the frame on road bumps, so not truly a rattle, but sounded like one. Good luck to you with this. Chasing down a rattle can drive you crazy!

Junior84

Reaction score
I had a rattle as well and after the dealer couldn't fix, I applied some silicone all around the pano sunroof frame and seals and it is very quiet now. I think the rubber seal was rubbing against the frame on road bumps, so not truly a rattle, but sounded like one. Good luck to you with this. Chasing down a rattle can drive you crazy!

Junior84

Reaction score
My sunroof rattles but only when closes. If i open it or even just tilt it, it goes away. Were you experiencing this? If so can you tell in detail how to fixed it?

Users who are viewing this thread