5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocker Panel - Wrap / Fender Flares

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After considering all of the options available. I decided to purchase a roll of 3M Wrap Series 1080 - Matte Deep Black -M22 to wrap the rocker panels on the truck.

It took me a day per side since I'm an amateur at wrapping and there are a lot of twist and turns around the door sills.

I also purchased a set of tools to apply vinyl:

I also installed Mopar OEM fender flares after applying the rocker panels.

I had to remove the clips from the OEM fender tabs and put 3M tape on the tabs, after I honed it down and smoothed it off with a dremmel tool with a sanding head.
Since I do not have the factory holes in my panels.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
How close is the color match of the vinyl wrap to the factory fender flares? Looking at doing the same to my all black Rebel to protect from scratches and such.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How close is the color match of the vinyl wrap to the factory fender flares? Looking at doing the same to my all black Rebel to protect from scratches and such.
It is very close.

I purchased a can of plasti dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating and painted the front drivers side fender flare. I was not happy with the soft texture and the orange peel, so I peeled it off.

When I got the vinyl in, and I placed it next to the unpainted fender flare the color and tone was so close I decided to install them unpainted.

I will see how they hold up to the elements.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
It is very close.

I purchased a can of plasti dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating and painted the front drivers side fender flare. I was not happy with the soft texture and the orange peel, so I peeled it off.

When I got the vinyl in, and I placed it next to the unpainted fender flare the color and tone was so close I decided to install them unpainted.

I will see how they hold up to the elements.
Thanks for the information. Looks great from the pics!

Wesalexleft

Reaction score
I’ve bought the same. Did you wrap the underside of the rocker panels-down to the pinch welds? Do those drain plugs come out and go back in easily? Also, any pics of inside door jamb? Looks great.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve bought the same. Did you wrap the underside of the rocker panels-down to the pinch welds? Do those drain plugs come out and go back in easily? Also, any pics of inside door jamb? Looks great.
I did wrap to the pinch welds.

I took an exact o blade and cut around the drain plugs.

I will post some pics of the inside of the door jambs...

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has finally stopped raining so I could take some decent pictures of the door jambs. (The truck is very dirty)

There is a seem between the doors but you are not able to see it in the picture.

I decided to go fairly high with the wrap to deal with scuffs marks while entering and exiting the truck... :geek:

Front Door Wrap.png

Back Door Wrap.png

antwon412

Reaction score
Going for the two-tone look. :cool:

But that would look good as well. (y)
Well...yeah - that would be two tone. Silver and black instead of silver/black/chrome.
Looks really good though. As soon as I saw in person, that the lower body panels come from the factory in gloss compared to the matte finish of all the other trim I decided to get the non-two-tone paint. And that if I wanted to make the two-tone I would do exactly what you did and just use vinyl wrap.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Going for the two-tone look. :cool:

But that would look good as well. (y)

After considering all of the options available. I decided to purchase a roll of 3M Wrap Series 1080 - Matte Deep Black -M22 to wrap the rocker panels on the truck.

It took me a day per side since I'm an amateur at wrapping and there are a lot of twist and turns around the door sills.

View attachment 29154

View attachment 29155

View attachment 29156

I had to remove the clips from the OEM fender tabs and put 3M tape on the tabs, after I honed it down and smoothed it off with a dremmel tool with a sanding head.
View attachment 29157

View attachment 29158

View attachment 29159

View attachment 29160

View attachment 29161

I know this is a year-old post, but how is your 3M body tape holding up with the fender flares?

it's a nice and clean install!

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this is a year-old post, but how is your 3M body tape holding up with the fender flares?

it's a nice and clean install!
It is actually holding up very well. When I put it on I honestly didn't know how well it would hold up but I have been impressed.

5RAM7

Reaction score

View attachment 29154

View attachment 29155

View attachment 29156

View attachment 29157

View attachment 29158

View attachment 29159

View attachment 29160

View attachment 29161

View attachment 29154

View attachment 29155

View attachment 29156

View attachment 29157

View attachment 29158

View attachment 29159

View attachment 29160

View attachment 29161
20210527_182822.jpg By any chance did you have the same issue with the front flares running short or did they fit perfrctly? The Mopar store online provides three different part numbers for the same part. It sucks that they don't provide better description or images.

Users who are viewing this thread