5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock takes paint off black front trim piece??? white underneath???

Redfour5

Reaction score
Washed my new Built to serve and right underneath the front of the hood is a black matte black trim piece across the front. A rock must have hit it and when I sprayed it with the washer, it took the paint off where the rock hit. It is not a good look as the plastic underneath is whitish... I thought they were a solid black plastic. Obviously I was wrong. It is only six weeks old... Grrrrr...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What, no pics? :rolleyes:

The first ding/dent/chip is the toughest. It only gets easier from here. Are you upset more because it's not black plastic, or because of the chip? No rock chip is a good look. Grab some black touch-up paint and you'll probably be the only one who even notices it. Or replace that piece of trim if it bothers you that much.

Redfour5

Reaction score
What, no pics? :rolleyes:

The first ding/dent/chip is the toughest. It only gets easier from here. Are you upset more because it's not black plastic, or because of the chip? No rock chip is a good look. Grab some black touch-up paint and you'll probably be the only one who even notices it. Or replace that piece of trim if it bothers you that much.
Yes, it is first ding syndrome but you would think they would at least use black plastic underneath... And yes, I thought of the black paint approach and will likely do that but wondered if anyone else had it happening. I am sure it is just the first and after a few years, it will be truly ugly... I will definitely point it out to the dealership but nothing else is wrong... And I'm not going to be "that guy" who brings it in for something like that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rock chips aren't covered under warranty. Not sure why you're so hung up on the color of the plastic under the paint though.

Users who are viewing this thread