5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock Peck in the Pano Sunroof Glass - What Should I do?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Adding a clear or tinted film would not likely reduce the probability of the sunroof panel further cracking. However, the biggest risk of having a damaged sunroof panel is that the tempered glass might shatter into thousands of pieces without warning while the truck is being driven. This actually happens enough that I know people it has happened too. Adding the film may help hold most of the thousands of glass pieces together if the glass fails. The film will not stop it from failing, but having the sunroof glass fail with much of it stuck together on the film may be preferable to having thousands of pieces of sharp glass rain down on the driver while on the freeway. So while using the sealant without drilling may only reduce probability a little, adding the film will likely reduce severity a substantial amount. :unsure:
As I said, tint will keep the pieces mostly contained if it does shatter. (y) I didn't say it would keep the damage from getting worse. The support I was referring to when I said it does offer some support really only applies to if the glass does shatter. It will help keep the glass in place under some circumstances. As I already mentioned, even slight pressure from the inside could cause that to shatter. Not sure I'd attempt to tint that panel. Just keep your inner cover closed until you can replace the glass.
I should be able to get the glass panel delivered for under $250. But I will check how much the dealership wants to do it. I might be pleasantly surprised. I don't expect the cost to warrant a $500 insurance deductible. But we will see. ;)
You can get the glass panel (using the part number you supplied earlier) for right at $185 and change shipped from BAM, at least that's what it would cost to ship to my home address. Shipping may be more or less, depending on where you live.
Front sunroof panel.JPG

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Since the peck happened, we've driven the truck every day and even took it on a trip to Memphis last weekend. The small 3/16" spider web has not grown at all and we've been using the pano in all positions. At this point, I'm too worried about immediate failure. So I've got some time.

Thanks to Mike for the BAM pricing. I found something similar with World Parts out of DFW where I've bought stuff before. I called my local Ram dealer last Thursday to get a price for the part with installation, but they never got back to me with a price. I will try again Monday. If I can buy it and get it installed for under $450, I will likely let the dealership do it. If I do it myself I will have to find the time which I'm short of right now.

Users who are viewing this thread