5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roaring noise while idle on 2019 Ram Limited with 60,000 miles

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
50/50 on that. Sometimes you'll get new, sometimes it goes into the pool of "rebuildables."
They only charge a core on rebuilt or reman parts, so they have cores to rework. There is no core for new, because they are building new.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
They only charge a core on rebuilt or reman parts, so they have cores to rework. There is no core for new, because they are building new.

Depends what is on hand. Most of the time, yes. If there is a high demand for the part they will some times produce more.

Dewey

Reaction score
What about batteries?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there is a core charge, it's not new.
Not true at all. New caliper's from Chrysler, have cores. New complete engine's, have cores. New fascia's, have cores. Those are just a few parts I see daily. There are many more parts that have cores that are new.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that's why I buy extended warranties.
got one on my current ram, time will tell if it pays off. I still like to learn and do some minor jobs on mine and my dad's cherokee since its also quality time spend with him
of course for the ram if it doesn't make sense to do myself I would just pay the deductible
I tend to always get warranty on electronics such as tv's - and have always gotten a good return value

6of36

Reaction score
Not true at all. New caliper's from Chrysler, have cores. New complete engine's, have cores. New fascia's, have cores. Those are just a few parts I see daily. There are many more parts that have cores that are new.
Those parts are remans, for warranty. To buy a new crate engine, there is no core.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those parts are remans, for warranty. To buy a new crate engine, there is no core.
Wrong my guy. We have a new 5.7 complete engine coming in that has $1000 core. What's next you going to tell me the fascia that has a $200 core on it is a reman? How about the new starter that has a core?

6of36

Reaction score
Wrong my guy. We have a new 5.7 complete engine coming in that has $1000 core. What's next you going to tell me the fascia that has a $200 core on it is a reman? How about the new starter that has a core?
It's a reman. No clue about a facia.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 167286

No core charge on a new engine.

Maybe no core on that particular one, but that's not unusual on a performance oriented engine. It may be already bored out to maximum oversize, or at least they figure it's going to be abused and probably not suitable for remanufacturing. Basically, they never want to see it again.

Core "charge" is an offer to buy your old part to go into their reman program, usually the garden variety parts that have a high enough volume to make remanufacturing practical in batches. You don't have to accept the offer. You can keep the core and pay the full price if you want to. New or reman parts may have a "core charge".

6of36

Reaction score
Maybe no core on that particular one, but that's not unusual on a performance oriented engine. It may be already bored out to maximum oversize, or at least they figure it's going to be abused and probably not suitable for remanufacturing. Basically, they never want to see it again.

Core "charge" is an offer to buy your old part to go into their reman program, usually the garden variety parts that have a high enough volume to make remanufacturing practical in batches. You don't have to accept the offer. You can keep the core and pay the full price if you want to. New or reman parts may have a "core charge".
It's a standard 5.7. Brand new crate engine.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Don't mind the new complete engine for a Ram with a $1000 core in the shop.

Cummins is one of the manufacturers now that are assessing core charges on pretty much all their motors in the marine space. They are almost exclusively selling "remans" to get around the new tier emissions for marine motors.

A lot of people are surprised how core-returns actually work.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a standard 5.7. Brand new crate engine.
Look at where it's coming from. HHP Racing.com. Don't know who they are, apparently not Stellantis. Maybe don't have a reman program. Maybe don't even have stock, could be drop shipping from somewhere else. Whatever the case, they apparently don't want your old one back.

BowDown

Reaction score
View attachment 167286

No core charge on a new engine.

They may have the core charge baked in but its not the same engine that's in a Ram or any other Stellantis vehicle with a 5.7, not a direct comparison

Screenshot 2023-09-15 170127.jpg

Also, "PLEASE NOTE: Crate engines, in most cases, are not direct replacements and will require modifications and additional accessories. If you are looking for an original replacement engine for your vehicle, please contact us with your VIN and we will provide you with a quote."

Ram 1500 DT replacement engine direct from Mopar

Screenshot 2023-09-15 170841.jpg

Has a core charge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread