5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roaring noise while idle on 2019 Ram Limited with 60,000 miles

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited with 60,000 miles, started making a constant roaring sound while idle. Took to dealership & it was the bearings in the water pump! they changed the water pump & thermostat for a small fee of $900!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How much does it cost to replace a water pump on a Dodge Ram 1500?

The average cost for a Ram 1500 Classic Water Pump Replacement is between $813 and $845. Labor costs are estimated between $123 and $155 while parts are priced between $690 and $690.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Water pumps are under $200
Screenshot_20230912-141640.png

Coolant is $15 a jug, figure 2 jugs of concentrate to be safe
Screenshot_20230912-141912.png

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds about right. List on the pump is around 250, thermostat lists for around 75, coolant at 20. I'm guessing diagnosis and repair around 3.5 hours. You can always find parts cheaper online and what not. End of the day these dealers are businesses they don't work for free. Not many businesses last long for working at a discount.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
That's why I said I can't imagine $690 in parts. That's just what google brought up.
Using and trusting Google was your first mistake.😆

6of36

Reaction score
Using and trusting Google was your first mistake.😆
I'm just showing it's a common price. I didn't say I would pay it. One thing I have learned, always buy a new water pump, not a reman. When you walk in to an auto parts, they just look up a reman. I got a run of 4 bad remans in a row. After all the work of 4 replacements, and 8 gallons of antifreeze,(the pumps were free, but not anything else) I asked if they sold new. They said yeah. The brand new pump, was $3 more than the reman.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just showing it's a common price. I didn't say I would pay it. One thing I have learned, always buy a new water pump, not a reman. When you walk in to an auto parts, they just look up a reman. I got a run of 4 bad remans in a row. After all the work of 4 replacements, and 8 gallons of antifreeze,(the pumps were free, but not anything else) I asked if they sold new. They said yeah. The brand new pump, was $3 more than the reman.
I have never gotten a reman water pump, nor even been offered one. What vehicle was that for?

6of36

Reaction score
I have never gotten a reman water pump, nor even been offered one. What vehicle was that for?
90 Dakota, as I recall. I haven't replaced one in 25 years. Back then most places only carried reman. The few places that even carried new, that was all they gave you, unless you specified. If you wanted new, you went to a dealer.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

Certain ones are only reman. Marine diesel ones, namely. In fact, the core charge a lot of times just reduces the cost of a NEW reman pump.

I've seen it a few times over the years with cars and other stuff.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
90 Dakota, as I recall. I haven't replaced one in 25 years. Back then most places only carried reman. The few places that even carried new, that was all they gave you, unless you specified. If you wanted new, you went to a dealer.
Certain ones are only reman. Marine diesel ones, namely. In fact, the core charge a lot of times just reduces the cost of a NEW reman pump.

I've seen it a few times over the years with cars and other stuff.
I mean, I've seen reman water pumps, and certain people will only buy reman factory pumps on classic cars to keep the factory look. The early 90s Dakota, if you want to keep the bolt on fan/pulley you have to get remanz because all the new ones come with pressed on pulleys and threaded snout for the mechanical fan

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 weeks ago we changed my dad's 05 grand cherokee. good thing he remember the pump had lifetime warranty. He purchased it 4 years ago
right now the difference between on a new pump with a 1 year warranty vs lifetime is $14 so it just makes sense to go lifetime in my opinion
Currently all options listed at AutoZone as 100% new but I do wonder if some are rebuilt - the old non working pump has to be sent back as per AutoZone worker.
Also there are several reviews on several of the pump options not lasting long so I can see chances are high that one can go thru several water pumps in a short amount of time

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I mean, I've seen reman water pumps, and certain people will only buy reman factory pumps on classic cars to keep the factory look. The early 90s Dakota, if you want to keep the bolt on fan/pulley you have to get remanz because all the new ones come with pressed on pulleys and threaded snout for the mechanical fan

Yup. Ironically, I am dealing with a raw water pump failure on one of our marine diesels right now. If insurance doesn't approve we're looking at $20k+ in repairs. Tough couple weeks for us. There's even subrogation being talked over due to how bad the failure was on a pump that was basically brand new.

But back to your point, I'd be shocked if there was remans now for 5thgens. I guess there could be. I wouldn't buy one. Can't imagine the savings is all that great?

For frame of reference, our CAT diesel raw water pumps are $665 with the core return and $1,100 if you just buy it outright with no core return. Best of all? I am pretty sure they are ALL remans. They're made by Sherwood. You can buy a brand "new" one from CAT Parts direct. When you open the box it's wrapped in wax paper with the rebuilders logo on it.

jljbtm

Reaction score
That's why I do my own work.
I had 2 expert mentors when I was a kid 1) my Dad an Architect and Home builder who taught me everything about residential construction and 2) my shop teachers in HS taught me how to fix every part or replace it and how to weld. Over the last 40yrs. I have SAVED Hundreds of Thousands $$

Users who are viewing this thread